Clubplanet Nightlife Community

SKIM MILK...elitesnautica

There is nothing wrong with "some dairy" unless you are trying to get really lean.

The problem I have with milk, is that people think that it is a great source of protein and calcium, when it is actually just a great source of fat.

But, so long as I am not trying to get lean, I don't think there is anything wrong with "some" coke, or "some" candy, or "some" pancakes.

Just don't plan on drinking milk for health.

Nautica

Digest of milk in adults is almost zero. After early childhood we loose the enzymes to digest the protein out of milk. And the carbs in milk are lactose which is essentially a simple sugar.

If you are going to drink milk, skim milk is the only way to go. Just don't expect to get the full amount of protein out of it.

Nautica

Originally posted by elitesnautica

Digest of milk in adults is almost zero. After early childhood we loose the enzymes to digest the protein out of milk. And the carbs in milk are lactose which is essentially a simple sugar.

If you are going to drink milk, skim milk is the only way to go. Just don't expect to get the full amount of protein out of it.

Nautica

That's funny, all these sources say that the protein in milk is highly digestible.

http://www.onr.com/user/lylemcd/Protein%20article/proteinpart2.html

http://www.unu.edu/unupress/unupbooks/80295e/80295E0d.htm

http://www.geocities.com/HotSprings/3069/protein.htm

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=milk+protein+digestibility&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&selm=0%24--%24%25%25%25_%24_%25---%24-%24%40news.noc.cabal.int&rnum=2

Br J Nutr 1999 Mar;81(3):221-6.

Assessment of net postprandial protein utilization of 15N-labelled milk nitrogen in human subjects.

Bos C, Mahe S, Gaudichon C, Benamouzig R, Gausseres N, Luengo C,

Ferriere F, Rautureau J, Tome D.

INRA, Institut National Agronomique Paris-Grignon, France.

The nutritional quality of milk proteins, evaluated both in terms of

digestibility and postprandial oxidation and retention in human

subjects, was investigated in this study. Five healthy adult volunteers were given 480 ml 15N-labelled milk (i.e. 190 mmol N). 15N was subsequently determined at the ileal level, using a naso-intestinal intubation technique, as well as at the faecal level.

Plasma and urine were sampled for 8 h after meal ingestion. Dietary exogenous N recovered at the terminal ileum after 8 h reached 8.6 (SE 0.8) mmol while the amount collected in the faeces was 6.5 (SE 0.7) mmol after 5 d. The true ileal and faecal digestibilities were 95.5 (SE 0.4)% and 96.6 (SE 0.4)% respectively. The appearance of [15N]amino acids in the plasma was rapid and prolonged. The measurement of 15N in the body urea pool and in the N excreted in the urine allowed us to calculate the deamination occurring after [15N]milk protein absorption. The net postprandial protein utilization (i.e. NPPU = (Nabsorbed-Ndeaminated)/Ningested), calculated as an index of protein quality 8 h after milk ingestion, was 81.0 (SE 1.9)%. Our data confirm that milk protein has a high oro-ileal digestibility in man and demonstrate that milk protein has a high NPPU, an index corresponding to a period in which the dietary protein retention is maximal.

Oh Hell, I got rackham on me again. :D

I got to go to class, I will explain why milk is NOT digestible for adults and see if I can dig up some reports. I actually, made a post on here a couple of weeks ago about milk - but I can't find it. Oh well, I'll be back.

Nautica

Yeah, I would appreciate if you could link to some actual references, because everything I've come across so far has indicated that "milk protein isn't digestible" is a myth.

Nautica

i have read that the ability to digest milk and lactose tolerance in general is related to ethnicity as well as simply getting old.

i don't like drinking milk plain. i must have it with cereal or chocolate... too bad, really, since drinking glasses of skim milk would help me with my protein intake.

Originally posted by fineones

haha i love that u guy's battle fitness knowledge...rackham knows his she and hes the king of looking shit up ...and elite the endless source for h&f info....at this rate ill be ready for the ISSA exam in no time

lol, ur so on point about that...those 2 should be the moderators of this forum...i look to both of them to answer the questions...

Here is an article. I know it is not a study - but I have a new computer and all of my studies are on the one that is not hooked up.

I will keep digging.

Should We Be Eating Dairy Products?

Introduction

Many people are under the assumption that dairy products are healthier than meat. These people reduce their meat intake and bump up their dairy consumption, in an attempt to replace some of the protein they have excluded from their diet.

Big mistake! Other than being completely unnatural for human consumption, there are many reasons to cut down on, or eliminate dairy products.

What do dairy products really give us?

Standard whole cow's milk contains 87% water, 4% butterfat (saturated) and 3.5% protein. The quantity of fat, sodium, and phosphorus is higher than that of human milk, and the amount of iron and potassium is lower, making it an unsuitable substitute for breast milk. Indeed, parents are warned not to feed cow's milk to infants below the age of one year for fear of nutritional deficiencies.

Butterfat

The butterfat contained in cow's milk is saturated. This type of fat is a known contributing factor in heart disease, and has been associated with cancers of the mouth, stomach, colon, rectum, cervix, bladder, lung, and breast. The butterfat in milk is concentrated to 15-40% and then processed into foods such as ice cream, cheese, butter, and milk chocolate; all are high fat, artery-clogging foods.

Substituting low fat milk reduces the amount of fat, although not as much as you might think. Milk has been exempted from the new food labeling laws. 'Low fat' milk actually has 40% more fat than other low fat products. 60% of the fat in low fat milk is saturated fat.

Bovine protein

Protein is built from amino acids. The combination of these amino acids determines the form of protein. Once consumed, proteins are broken down into their constituent amino acids by digestion. The protein in human milk is mainly lactalbumin, which is easily digested by babies. The predominant protein in cow's milk is casein. This protein is poorly digested by humans. As a result, much of the protein is not broken into its constituent amino acids, but in cases of intestinal stress (which most of us experience), may be absorbed into the blood stream in an undigested form.

The immune system recognizes undigested proteins as foreign substances and initiates an immune response to eliminate them. A common reaction is the creation of large amounts of mucus from the membranes of the nose and throat. Tonsils and adenoids may become enlarged. This immune response results in the chronic runny noses, persistent sore throats, hoarseness, bronchitis, sinus infections, and ear infections that affect so many children and their parents. Other areas of the body may also react against this dairy protein, resulting in asthma, rheumatoid arthritis, eczema, and psoriasis.

The quantity of protein in milk presents another problem. A calf doubles its birth weight in 50 days. A human infant doubles its birth weight in 100 days. This is the peak growth period for both cows and humans, and nature has provided the optimum balance of nutrients in the mothers' milk. Cow's milk contains three times as much protein as human milk and a higher percentage of casein (82% vs. 40% in human milk). Since protein is only used for growth and maintenance, any excess cannot be fully utilized, and may lead to diseases such as osteoporosis and kidney disease.

Lactose sugar and galactose

Each type of food requires specific enzymes for digestion. The sugar in milk is called lactose. This sugar requires the enzyme lactase for digestion. About 20% of Caucasians, and 80% of those with African or Asian descent, do have this enzyme and cannot digest lactose. In those who can digest lactose, the sugar is broken into galactose, a simpler sugar. About 10% of the American population do not have the enzyme required to beak this down further.

What is natural?

Cow's milk is created to turn a 45-pound calf into a 300-pound cow in a year. If drinking cow's milk were natural, it would be just as natural to drink dog's milk, yet most people are disturbed by the thought of this. It is amazing how customs and advertising can change the way we think about such issues. Milk is designed solely for the purpose of feeding the young. Human milk is designed for human babies, cow's milk for calves. Once babies have been weaned, there is no further dietary need for this food.

Pasteurization does not kill all the bacteria and viruses found in raw milk. The acceptable standard for milk is approximately 100,000 bacteria per teaspoon. It is estimated that 40% of milk-producing cows in America are infected with the bovine leukemia virus, which is then passed into their milk. Milk from each cow in the herd is combined in bulk storage tanks, so infected milk is mixed with non-infected milk. As a result, up to 89% of the U.S. milk supply is infected. The highest rate of leukemia is found in children ages 3-13, the ages when most children are encouraged to drink large quantities of milk. Across age groups, the families of dairy producers have higher rates of leukemia, sarcoma, and non-Hodgkin's lymphoma, possibly because they drink unpasteurized milk from bulk tanks.

Pasteurization also poses another problem. This heat process destroys the enzymes in the milk that enable complete digestion. Calves fed on pasteurized milk die within 60 days, while those fed raw milk thrive. Does that tell you something?

The Hazards of Dairy Consumption

Lactose/galactose

As mentioned above, many people do not have the enzyme lactase, which breaks down the milk sugar lactose. This results in cramps, bloating, and diarrhea when dairy products are consumed.

The inability to break down the resulting simpler sugar, galactose, is a possible link to the development of ovarian cancer and cataracts, and may contribute to infertility. Although there are no obvious symptoms, your body will suffer.

Chemical contaminants

Chemical pesticides and fertilizers tend to accumulate as you move up the food chain. Cows are no longer free to roam green pastures and graze at will. Instead they are artificially impregnated almost every year, and their feed contains pesticides, herbicides, and artificial fertilizers. These artificial substances concentrate in the fat and are passed on to the consumer in the form of meat and dairy products.

According to the Earth Save Foundation, 99% of U.S. non-vegetarian mothers' milk contains significant levels of DDT, in contrast to only 8% of the milk from vegetarian mothers.

Hormones and antibiotics

Cows are given hormones to increase milk production and body fat. In addition to naturally occurring hormones, it is now legal to use Bovine Growth Hormone (BGH), a genetically engineered hormone. The FDA has refused to require labeling of products that may contain traces of BGH, even though 90% of consumers polled are in favor of labeling. There have been no studies to determine the long-term effects of BGH use.

Artificially increasing milk production in dairy cows results in an increase in mastitis, which results in increased antibiotic use. 55% of all antibiotics used in the U.S. are given to livestock.

Antibiotic-resistant bacteria

The widespread use of even moderate amounts of antibiotics in animal feed is resulting in the development of antibiotic-resistance animal bacteria and the transfer of that resistance to human bacteria.

Vitamin D

Milk is fortified with vitamin D to prevent deficiencies that could cause rickets. However, vitamin D does not occur naturally in milk, but is added by dairies. The source is usually fish oil. The amount of added vitamin D is not well-regulated, and a recent study has shown that only 12% of the samples tested fell within the expected range. There have been several cases of vitamin D toxicity in recent years.

Vitamin D is created by the action of sunlight on our skin. Exposing the face and arms to the sun for 15-20 minutes three times a week is sufficient. This vitamin is also available from vegetable oils, oats, and sweet potatoes.

Protein

As mentioned previously, the protein in dairy products contributes to many complaints.

Colds and flu

Cutting out dairy products often results in a marked reduction in colds and flu, both in the number of occurrences, and their intensity and duration.

Colic and ear infections

20% of infants in the U.S. suffer bouts of colic with severe belly cramps. Some studies have found that the consumption of dairy products by the mother may trigger colic-like symptoms.

Allergies, asthma, and sinus problems

Diary products are the leading cause of food allergies, which often show up as diarrhea, constipation, and fatigue. Many people with asthma and sinus infection report relief when eliminating dairy products entirely. Casein, a milk protein, is used in many processed foods, often as calcium caseinate or whey powder.

Arthritis

The immune reaction to milk protein can result in deposits of antibody-antigen complexes in the joints, causing pain, swelling, redness, and stiffness. This pain often fades rapidly when dairy products are eliminated.

Diabetes and autoimmune diseases

One of the proteins in cow's milk seems to create an autoimmune reaction against the pancreas, eventually leading to impairment of its ability to produce insulin. It is now suggested that a combination of genetic predisposition and exposure to cow's milk may lead to juvenile diabetes.

Childhood anemia

Cow's milk triggers blood loss from the intestinal tract in infants, causing loss of iron and hemoglobin. Some research also shows that iron absorption is blocked by as much as 60% when dairy products are consumed at a meal.

Non-Hodgkin's lymphoma and lung cancer

Scientists are beginning to agree that animal proteins, particularly dairy proteins, play a major role in the formation of non-Hodgkin's lymphoma. There is also a link between cow's milk proteins and lung cancer.

How to live without dairy

It is possible to live without dairy, but most people don't want to give it up altogether. That's ok. Just try to cut down as much as possible. The key is knowing how to replace dairy with other foods, so you don't feel deprived. You'll be glad to know there are many delicious, healthy alternatives to dairy.

Let's first consider our current uses of dairy products. Milk is used on cereal, in sauces, drinks, ice cream, and chocolate. Cream and sour cream are used in desserts, drinks, sauces, and baked goods. Cheese and butter are used in a wide variety of baked goods and as garnishes for potatoes and pasta.

If you currently use full fat milk, cut down to low fat, or use a substitute:

The challenge

Try avoiding all dairy products for two weeks. After that drink a glass of milk. If, two days later, there are no noticeable effects such as a headache or stuffy nose, you can probably eat limited amounts of dairy without adverse consequences. If you did have a reaction, try to cut out dairy products completely. You'll feel better and be healthier as a result.

nautica

Originally posted by smokesum

but what about SKIM MILK??

it seems to me that nothing is healthy to eat anymore

CARBS arent good for you

MILK isnt good for you

RED MEAT isnt good for you

BEING a VEGETARIAN is not good for you

Low Glycemic carbs are great

Lean Red meat is great

vegetarinism is for pussies. :D

I am not really saying that skim milk is bad for you. I am saying that it should be treated as a luxury not a staple. Much like sweets.

Nautica

Milk and dairy

"Now we come to one of the most controversial and misunderstood items in the Western diet.

Orientals and Africans have traditionally avoided milk- except as a purgative. But in the Western world, people are told to drink milk everyday throughout their lives.

If we look at nature, we see that the young feed exclusively on milk until weaned away from it with other foods. The natural disappearance of the milk-digesting enzyme lactase from the human system upon reaching maturity proves that adult humans have no more nutritional need for milk than adult tigers or chimpanzees.

Though milk is a complete protein food when consumed raw, it also contains fat, which means that it combines poorly with any other food except itself. Yet adults today routinely 'wash down' other foods with cold milk. Milk curdles immediately upon entering the stomach, so if there is other food present the curds coagulate around other food particles and insulate them from exposure to gastric juices, delaying digestion long enough to permit the onset of putrefaction. Therefore, the first and foremost rule of milk consumption is, 'Drink it alone, or leave it alone.'

Today, milk is made even more indigestible by the universal practice of pasteurization, which destroys its natural enzymes and alters its delicate proteins.

Raw milk contains the active enzymes lactase and lipase, which permit raw milk to digest itself. Pasteurized milk, which is devitalized of lactase and other active enzymes, simply can not be properly digested by adult stomachs, and even infants have trouble with it, as evidenced by colic, rashes, respiratory ailments, gas and other common ailments of bottle-fed babies. The lack of enzymes and alteration of vital proteins also renders the calcium and other mineral elements in milk largely unassailable.

During the 1930's, Dr. Francis M. Pottenger conducted a 10-year study on the relative effects of pasteurized and raw milk diets on 900 cats. One group received nothing but raw whole milk, while the other was fed nothing but pasteurized whole milk from the same source.

The raw milk group thrived, remaining healthy, active and alert throughout their lives, but the group fed on pasteurized milk soon became listless, confused and highly vulnerable to a host of chronic degenerative ailments normally associated with humans, including heart disease, kidney failure, thyroid dysfunction, respiratory ailments, loss of teeth, brittle bones, liver inflammation, etc.

But what caught Dr. Pottenger's attention most was what happened to the second and third generations.

The first offspring of the pasteurized milk group were all born with poor teeth and small, weak bones- a clear cut sign of calcium deficiency, which indicated lack of calcium absorption from pasteurized milk.

The offspring of the raw milk group remained as healthy as their parents.

Many of the kittens in third generation of the pasteurized group were stillborn, while those that survived were all sterile and unable to reproduce.

The experiment had to end there because there was no fourth generation of cats fed on pasteurized milk, although the raw milk group continued to breed and thrive indefinitely.

If that is insufficient proof of the ill effects of pasteurized milk, take note of the fact even that newborn calves fed on pasteurized milk taken from their own mother cows usually die within six months, a fact which the commercial dairy industry is loathe to admit.

Despite such scientific evidence in favor of raw milk and against pasteurized milk, and despite the fact that until the early twentieth century the human species thrived on raw milk, it is actually illegal to sell raw milk to consumers in all but a few states in America today.

It is far more profitable to the dairy industry to pasteurize milk to extend its shelf-life, though such denatured milk does nothing whatsoever to extend human life.

Furthermore, pasteurization renders milk from sick cows in unsanitary dairies relatively 'harmless' by killing some, but not all, dangerous germs, and this too cuts costs for the dairy industry.

It required only three generations for Dr. Pottenger's pasteurized milk fed cats to become sterile and enfeebled. That's about how many generations of Americans and Europeans have fed on pasteurized milk. Today, infertility has become a major problem for your American couples, while calcium deficiency has become so rampant that over 90 percent of all American children suffer chronic tooth decay.

To make things worse, milk is now routinely 'homogenized' to prevent the cream from separating from the milk. This involves the fragmentation and pulverization of the fat molecules to the point that they will not separate from the rest of the milk. But it also permits there tiny fragments of milk fat to easily pass through the villa of the small intestine, greatly increasing the amount of denatured fat and cholesterol absorbed by the body. In fact, you absorb more milk-fat from homogenized milk than you do from pure cream!

Women worried about osteoporosis should take note of these facts about pasteurized milk products. That such denatured milk does not deliver sufficient calcium to prevent this condition is abundantly evident from the fact that American women, who consume great quantities of pasteurized milk products, suffer the world's highest incidence of osteoporosis.

Raw cabbage, for example, supplies far more available calcium than any quantity of pasteurized milk, yogurt, cottage cheese, or any other denatured dairy product.

Recent studies at the Human Research Centre in Grand Folks, North Dakota, indicates that the element boron is also an essential factor in absorbing calcium from food and utilizing it to build bones.

Even more noteworthy, the level of estrogen in the blood of women given sufficient quantities of boron more than doubled, eliminating the need for estrogen replacement therapy, which is a common stopgap measure against osteoporosis in the West. And where do we find boron? In fresh fruits and vegetables, especially apples, pears, grapes, nuts, cabbage, and other leafy vegetables, where we also find calcium. Nature has already provided abundant sources of all the vital nutrients we need in synergetic form, but man insists on cooking and processing them to death, and then wonders why his diet doesn't 'work'.

Adults should seriously reconsider milk as a constitute of their daily diets, unless they are able to obtain raw certified milk, which is an excellent food.

To stuff children with pasteurized milk in order to make them grow 'strong and healthy' is sheer folly, because they simply cannot assimilate the nutrients.

Indeed men, women, and children alike should eliminate all pasteurized dairy products from their diets, for these denatured dairy products only gum up the intestines with layer upon layer of slimy sludge that interferes with the absorption of organic nutrients."

Learn more about milk and dairy at the food profiles section.

Source: Daniel Reid.

Why don't you stop quoting anti-milk quacks running their mouths, and post an actual STUDY showing the indigestibility of milk protein?

This guy is referencing studies done in the 1930s on CATS, for christ's sake. And NONE of his "scientific sources" are referenced.

:blank: