Clubplanet Nightlife Community

men vs. women=logic vs. emotion?

t0nythelover

Originally posted by wideskies

culture dictates that men be logical and not emotional, so they act that way. culture dictates that women be emotional, but not logical.

people who are swayed by cultural standards fall into these categories.

well-balanced people are both emotional and logical.

...I agree..partly...There is a definite, marked difference in the way that males and females approach problems and how they come to solutions..I'm not saying one is better than the other, but its well known that males can more easily divorce emotion from the decision making process than women..

Originally posted by phuturephunk

...I agree..partly...There is a definite, marked difference in the way that males and females approach problems and how they come to solutions..I'm not saying one is better than the other, but its well known that males can more easily divorce emotion from the decision making process than women..

I think that men are *taught* to ignore their emotions.

i agree with you, but since society encourages men to be logical and women not as much, it's no surprise that men are better at it. practice makes perfect...

Originally posted by rackham

I think that men are *taught* to ignore their emotions.

...When it comes down to it..its not just actively 'ignoring' emotions...Being in tune with them has nothing to do with the ability for a male to turn them off... We're confusing the biological with the social learning aspect of emotion..

...Guys are BIOLOGICALLY more able to readily divorce emotion from the decision making process..It all goes back to us being the hunters and the women being the gatherers ... If females had been the sex, so many millenia ago, to take the hunter role they'd be that way too...

..Its all about the specialization...

...When it comes down to it..its not just actively 'ignoring' emotions...Being in tune with them has nothing to do with the ability for a male to turn them off... We're confusing the biological with the social learning aspect of emotion..

...Guys are BIOLOGICALLY more able to readily divorce emotion from the decision making process..It all goes back to us being the hunters and the women being the gatherers ... If females had been the sex, so many millenia ago, to take the hunter role they'd be that way too...

I'm not confusing anything. You're claiming that it's biological, and I'm disagreeing. Men can be just as emotional as women, but we're taught not to be. How many men had fathers/friends who told them DON'T BE A PUSSY when they started getting emotional as children? We're taught from an early age that "real men" control their emotions, and "real women" cry at the end of Bambi. By the time we're adults, it's so ingrained in us that it would appear to be biological, but I don't think it is.

I agree... there have been studies which show that men are better able to distance themselves from their emotions, while women are much more in tune with theirs, and more in tune with others' emotions as well (hence, "women's intuition").

Obviously these differences are greatly exaggerated by cultural norms.

This in and of itself is not a problem- you need the yin to complement the yang. The problem lies only in the value we as a society attribute to logic vs emotion, or vice-versa.

Originally posted by tastyt

I agree... there have been studies which show that men are better able to distance themselves from their emotions, while women are much more in tune with theirs, and more in tune with others' emotions as well (hence, "women's intuition").

In these studies, how did they control for socialization?

Originally posted by rackham

In these studies, how did they control for socialization?

The most convincing study I head about (well, saw really- it was on TLC) involved a woman who was receiving testosterone injections. The entire program was about the effects of testosterone in sexual differentiation.

So, the woman who was one of the main subjects- was actually socialized as a female. They went over the perceived differences in men and women- ex: men are better at spatial tasks, have more physical prowess, etc.; women are better at reading emotions, have better linguistic skills, etc.

Anyway, as her treatments progressed, it was all going exactly as expected- including the fact that she was having a much harder time both expressing and reading emotions. She said that there was one time when she really wanted to cry- yet she was completely unable to, she felt like there was a brick wall blocking her.

Now, obviously it would be premature to take this as the be-all end-all of studies of gender differences- but it does back up a lot of previous conclusions, and certainly provides food for thought.

The most convincing study I head about (well, saw really- it was on TLC) involved a woman who was receiving testosterone injections. The entire program was about the effects of testosterone in sexual differentiation.

So, the woman who was one of the main subjects- was actually socialized as a female. They went over the perceived differences in men and women- ex: men are better at spatial tasks, have more physical prowess, etc.; women are better at reading emotions, have better linguistic skills, etc.

Anyway, as her treatments progressed, it was all going exactly as expected- including the fact that she was having a much harder time both expressing and reading emotions. She said that there was one time when she really wanted to cry- yet she was completely unable to, she felt like there was a brick wall blocking her.

Now, obviously it would be premature to take this as the be-all end-all of studies of gender differences- but it does back up a lot of previous conclusions, and certainly provides food for thought.

...Thank you...:)...

Very interesting.

*typo*

...but irrelevant at this point...in all seriousness, my thoughts align themselves with D and Mike...as much as I know and believe cultural behavior and teachings are highly impactive, something has to be said for biology and natural tendencies...the important thing, as always, is to identify and develop a solid balance...as i think cat implied...makes for good humans...;)