Clubplanet Nightlife Community

End of an era......another sad day for the house scene

demo909

It's official.....after over 10 years in buisness Nervous records has shut down. Truely a sad day in the dance music community. Now two of the most influencial house record labels in US history (first strictly rhythm went down) are gone for good.

how could this happen??? Just ask anyone who downloads music for free and they can tell you how :mad: :mad: :mad:

ap2002-01.gif

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest saleen351

wait a fucking second!!!!!!!!!

first off blame artist who steal from each other...

next blame companies that don't put out tunes on cds quick enough..

then blame the high prices

follow that up by the RIAA throwing people in jail instead of realizing that the net could help them. This is the same organization that tried to bann the VCR....

Denny worked at Strictly Rythem records and sadly lost his job, but it was due to Warner brothers, not lack of business...

Originally posted by saleen351

follow that up by the RIAA throwing people in jail instead of realizing that the net could help them. This is the same organization that tried to bann the VCR....

Denny worked at Strictly Rythem records and sadly lost his job, but it was due to Warner brothers, not lack of business...

Put out a cd quick and make no money.......or promo it, create a good buzz on the track and then release it and make money for the label and the artist who deserves it. Thats the way we used to do it. Now artists, even big name artists make less money off a track then ever before. Why do you think artists are putting out 5 to 10 tracks a month now. Cause the pay sucks for electronic music. Even with major labels

Guest brwneydtrouble

I totally agree with Saleen on this one.....I'm not against spending money on CD's, I just want the music that I want to hear which I can't find anywhere!! Then when I do, its on a 2CD set, worth $35.....I think not. For maybe one song that I DO like? By the time what is good gets on CD, its last years Chill Out Session......

Guest brwneydtrouble
Originally posted by demo909

We are talking about labels that mainly specialize in vinyl here people.

In all fairness, I have a question. If these companies specialize in vinyl, then I would have to assume that their main consumers are DJs, am I correct? The vinyl in all reality has no place in the modern household, its value is only with musicians.....so why does piracy afect them so much? Is it directly from DJs switching to spinning on CDs?

Originally posted by brwneydtrouble

Is it directly from DJs switching to spinning on CDs?

More DJ's play cdr's now than ever before. Every major club around has at least two high end cd players. But it's a combination of things that effect the over all sale of vinyl today.

Back in the late 80's early 90's, there were just a few major house / dance labels and even fewer independant labels putting out tracks. So when a label like nervous or Strictly put out a big record that everyone was going to buy, sales were not 500 to 1000 copies like today. They were more like 50,000 to over 100,000 units sold. With the market so saturated today with labels and producers, and music being much more easy to produce, sales for major labels and labels across the board have gone way down. Music piracy along with these other factors is the straw that broke the camels back.

Guest brwneydtrouble

More DJ's play cdr's now than ever before. Every major club around has at least two high end cd players. But it's a combination of things that effect the over all sale of vinyl today.

Back in the late 80's early 90's, there were just a few major house / dance labels and even fewer independant labels putting out tracks. So when a label like nervous or Strictly put out a big record that everyone was going to buy, sales were not 500 to 1000 copies like today. They were more like 50,000 to over 100,000 units sold. With the market so saturated today with labels and producers, and music being much more easy to produce, sales for major labels and labels across the board have gone way down. Music piracy along with these other factors is the straw that broke the camels back.

Now I understand......it seems that in the past it was a matter of too much demand, there was something of a monopoly. Now its too much supply......not enough demand.

Guest saleen351
Originally posted by lavosdeldiablo

i agree with Mr Demo on this ... and i cant wait til they start cracking down...

and what will that do?

thats wishful thinking with no real thought into the market. the guys on another site all work for record lables, how do u think they get all the shit way before hand, how did i know the tracklisting on bangin beats before it was even done? those guys are in the in, and they work for the companies and will be the first to tell you what the RIAA is doing won't work...

Then i break it down, and realize what they are doing goes against the invisible hand, the basis of modern day economics.. It's simple, but you djs like to be idealists and that is just a lack of understanding..

Lets review the Invisible Hand...

The system in which the invisible hand is most often assumed to work is the free market. Adam Smith assumed that consumers choose for the lowest price, and that entrepreneurs choose for the highest rate of profit. He asserted that by thus making their excess or insufficient demand known through market prices, consumers "directed" entrepreneurs' investment money to the most profitable industry.

What this means to people with Dade county educations is :)

You have two products

Coke and Pepsi

They are the same price, so you choose your favorite, but say coke goes on sale, at a price level X you will buy coke...

Same applies to music... We all want and we all know pressed cds are better than burned ones, but burned cds are cheaper, so at a certain price level the market and the INVISIBLE HAND will dictate that people will buy the cds. What is that price level? I'm thinking 7-9 bucks tops... Especially club music, which you are lucky to get a 2 good tunes and with run times on tracks at 10 minutes you get a small amount of tracks, unlike cds like janet jackson who had 32 tracks...

It's greed and poor understanding of the basis of the free world... Thats how insane the RIAA and labels are... There needs to be a paradigm shift in the industry. But it won't happen, record companies are always slow to embrace new shit...

take a look at sony

they produce and sell blank cds

they produce and sell computers with burning software

they produce and sell cd burners

they even promote on thier commerical the capabilty of their computers in which you can burn cds and music

then to top it off, they are a freaking record label...

hmmmmmmmmmmm , it's called greed.....

another example....

Oscar G at club Space

50 dollar cover, only 100 people show up

40 dollar cover 200 people show up

20 dollar cover 400 people show up

10 dollar cover 1000 people show up

5 dollar cover 3000 people show up

0 cover and it's jammed packed

it's really that simple...

Now some moron will reply to this and say "but it costs too much to put out a record"...

simply not true, as demand increases Marginal cost decrese....

Meaning, it's cheaper per uni to produce 10000 widgets then 500 widgets.. grocery store 101... thats why you bring a calculator to the grocery store:idea:

if you clowns want, i'll school ya in some Game Theory.....

Guest brwneydtrouble

and what will that do?

thats wishful thinking with no real thought into the market. the guys on another site all work for record lables, how do u think they get all the shit way before hand, how did i know the tracklisting on bangin beats before it was even done? those guys are in the in, and they work for the companies and will be the first to tell you what the RIAA is doing won't work...

Then i break it down, and realize what they are doing goes against the invisible hand, the basis of modern day economics.. It's simple, but you djs like to be idealists and that is just a lack of understanding..

Lets review the Invisible Hand...

The system in which the invisible hand is most often assumed to work is the free market. Adam Smith assumed that consumers choose for the lowest price, and that entrepreneurs choose for the highest rate of profit. He asserted that by thus making their excess or insufficient demand known through market prices, consumers "directed" entrepreneurs' investment money to the most profitable industry.

What this means to people with Dade county educations is :)

You have two products

Coke and Pepsi

They are the same price, so you choose your favorite, but say coke goes on sale, at a price level X you will buy coke...

Same applies to music... We all want and we all know pressed cds are better than burned ones, but burned cds are cheaper, so at a certain price level the market and the INVISIBLE HAND will dictate that people will buy the cds. What is that price level? I'm thinking 7-9 bucks tops... Especially club music, which you are lucky to get a 2 good tunes and with run times on tracks at 10 minutes you get a small amount of tracks, unlike cds like janet jackson who had 32 tracks...

It's greed and poor understanding of the basis of the free world... Thats how insane the RIAA and labels are... There needs to be a paradigm shift in the industry. But it won't happen, record companies are always slow to embrace new shit...

take a look at sony

they produce and sell blank cds

they produce and sell computers with burning software

they produce and sell cd burners

they even promote on thier commerical the capabilty of their computers in which you can burn cds and music

then to top it off, they are a freaking record label...

hmmmmmmmmmmm , it's called greed.....

another example....

Oscar G at club Space

50 dollar cover, only 100 people show up

40 dollar cover 200 people show up

20 dollar cover 400 people show up

10 dollar cover 1000 people show up

5 dollar cover 3000 people show up

0 cover and it's jammed packed

it's really that simple...

Now some moron will reply to this and say "but it costs too much to put out a record"...

simply not true, as demand increases Marginal cost decrese....

Meaning, it's cheaper per uni to produce 10000 widgets then 500 widgets.. grocery store 101... thats why you bring a calculator to the grocery store:idea:

if you clowns want, i'll school ya in some Game Theory.....

SALEEN FOR PRESIDENT!!!

Originally posted by nexusgroove

but it costs too much to put out a record????

:rolleyes:

our first two releases on ToneControl....both of which are featured on the new Saeed & Palash mix cd....and are getting great reviews cost us over $4,000 to put out.

You have to get records mastered, pay for the test press's, pay for the full press, pay for all the shipping to distributors, pay for labels, pay for jackets and covers. Thats not even includeing the cost of marketing. The cost add's up very quickly. Do you think I will sell over 4,000 copies of each and get my money back? Hardly. Not even large labels like say Hooj sell many more then 2,000 or 3,000 copies of a track

when you guys start a label let me know how easy you think it is

Guest saleen351

our first two releases on ToneControl....both of which are featured on the new Saeed & Palash mix cd....and are getting great reviews cost us over $4,000 to put out.

You have to get records mastered, pay for the test press's, pay for the full press, pay for all the shipping to distributors, pay for labels, pay for jackets and covers. The cost add's up very quickly. Do you think I will sell over 4,000 copies of each and get my money back? Hardly. Not even large labels like say Hooj sell many more then 2,000 or 3,000 copies of a track

bro, it has zero to do with downloading, it's your market... it's not big enough... It's like opening up a Caddilac dealership in Afganistan...

this looks like an interesting conversation in the works!!!!!!

but the only thing i know is that as a consumer....as saleen has stated b4...i would not by not even 90% of the music i have burned....just something to think on......things r changing.....but they just r holding onto the old way, cuz its more profitable for the big companies......the funny thing is that if they adopt the new way its still profitable, but they dont want to do the work to figure it all out, cuz its not as much profit...which in turn goes back to greed....whatever happened to the musician who says they make music to touch people.....now dont get me wrong, they deserve money, but why do they need so much, just bcuz that the way it used to be??

Saleen, I'll see your Adam Smith and I'll raise you a Darwin - it's also survival of the fittest.

House music was underground - few labels existed, and demand was high. Inevitably its popularity would rise, resulting in a saturated market. Over the next few years the strongest will survive and eventually flourish.

The same goes for clubs, we're in the saturated period right now.

Downloading has had a certain impact, but it's also been used as a convenient excuse for companies who for one reason or another have struggled to stay in business.

bro, it has zero to do with downloading, it's your market... it's not big enough... It's like opening up a Caddilac dealership in Afganistan...

you really have no idea what you are talking about man. We have a huge market in the US and overseas. Are first release is one of the lucky ones that actually made it to the distributors and out to the shops. Most don't even get picked up anymore....... you make some good points saleen but when it comes to running a label, you're way off. I myself having worked for many labels, been a buyer for a distrubutor and a record shop for years, a DJ & Producer and now finally a label owner and billboard reporter like your boy Denny........believe what I say to you.

Originally posted by cooljunkie

Saleen, I'll take your Adam Smith and I'll raise you a Darwin - it's also survival of the fittest.

House music was underground - few labels existed, and demand was high. Inevitably its popularity would rise, resulting in a saturated market. Over the next few years the strongest will survive and eventually flourish.

The same goes for clubs, we're in the saturated period right now.

Downloading has had a certain impact, but it's also been used as a convenient excuse for companies who for one reason or another have struggled to stay in business.

very well put :aright:

the only thing that sux is that the big get bigger while the people on the bubble r the ones that go down.....i see ur point.

maybe Labels should also consider pressing out cd's to the public...i know many djs that ONLY use cd's...but offering both vinyl and cd would only help the labels....to me....nothing beats the feel of vinyl...cant explain it...it might be "out dated" but nothing beats the feel and the sound of vinyl.....just my .02 cents

Guest saleen351
Originally posted by mrmatas2277

maybe Labels should also consider pressing out cd's to the public...i know many djs that ONLY use cd's...but offering both vinyl and cd would only help the labels....to me....nothing beats the feel of vinyl...cant explain it...it might be "out dated" but nothing beats the feel and the sound of vinyl.....just my .02 cents

matas, STFU, you have a 8 track in your car........:tongue:

Originally posted by fliptoniaaa

but the only thing i know is that as a consumer....as saleen has stated b4...i would not by not even 90% of the music i have burned....just something to think on......

True... but if DL'ing wasnt so readily accessible your computer wouldnt be so "saturated" with music... So even if you bought 10% of that music, and Others had to do the same... ??? It would be an improvement...

and Saleen your saying cracking down isnt gonna do anything?? We'll see when they start slapping people with fines...

Guest brwneydtrouble
Originally posted by lavosdeldiablo

True... but if DL'ing wasnt so readily accessible your computer wouldnt be so "saturated" with music... So even if you bought 10% of that music, and Others had to do the same... ??? It would be an improvement...

and Saleen your saying cracking down isnt gonna do anything?? We'll see when they start slapping people with fines...

Sure, they will start slapping people with fines, but who is going to directly benefit from the money from the fines??