Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Guess we will see if you are right Saleen

oldschoolny

I think this is a good first move on a record labels side. But I think they still need to do something on the digital side for people to easily get their music cheaper.

I personally think that Apple is headed in the right direction even though I can't get music from them yet.

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&cid=769&u=/nm/20030903/music_nm/media_universalmusic_dc_4&printer=1

Guest saleen351

well see the problem with this is tha fact that it's not large enough to move the market. It's a start, but they need the big lables to jump on board, or get a couple huge name acts and sell them at a discount. Or have the balls and bring back a huge album, like bob marley or a greastest hits album (not sure if BM is on that label, just an example) at 12 bucks. I'm sure they did their home work, but i'm still thinking people like sub 10 dollar cds....

And something disturbing in the article is how much they have been ripping us off over the years. Think about it, 30% cut means for all those years for cds, which came out in 1982, they have ripping us off. So for our 2 or 3 years where we stopped buying, i think we taught them a lesson. Now they really need to change our minds just as much as the price. I'd like to see the label come out and run ads like Ford did under Jack Nassar. Now many of you stuands don't know the whole Jack Nassar thing, but think tires... Anways, own up to it, tell the public you slashed prices and want to compete for our business while stressing respectfuly that downloading is wrong, don't say illegal, say its wrong. Kids don't' respond to illegal, they respond to wrong.

But the major labels are not going to follow this unless it works, they want kazza gone and prices to be back up 30% and continue to rip us off..

though if you put two and two together if i subscribe to the invisible hand, then i shouldn't say they ripped us off, because Adam Smith assumed that consumers choose for the lowest price and that sellers choose for the highest rate of profit. So was it ripping us off or just being smart and knowing at those levels the market was in equilibrium? I don't know, however the market has changed, it's a new market, and those prices don't work...

just my 2 cents...