Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Purported bin Laden videotape airs

Im so sick of this shit

Sept. 10 — A videotape purporting to show al-Qaida leader Osama bin Laden aired Wednesday on the Arabic-language news channel Al-Jazeera. The videotape was accompanied by an audiotape in which the voice of a man claiming to be bin Laden’s top deputy promised new attacks in the United States and denounced the U.S.-backed Middle East peace process as a “road map to hell.â€

THE VIDEOTAPE showed bin Laden and his No. 2, Ayman al-Zawahiri, walking down a mountainside in Afghan-style robes. As with numerous previous messages purportedly released by bin Laden, there was no way to immediately judge its authenticity.

The videotape was produced by an Arabic production company and carried lettering identifying it as “the most modern images†of bin Laden and Zawahiri.

Al-Jazeera also called it a new videotape, but it was not clear whether the station meant the tape itself was newly shot or was simply recently received. An al-Jazeera analyst who has interviewed bin Laden in person said later that it appeared to be stock footage with a new audio track.

U.S. officials told NBC News on condition of anonymity that U.S. authorities were examining the tape and had reached no firm conclusions on when it was produced. However, they, too, agreed that it appeared that the audio had been laid on top of what could be old video.

It appeared to be the first video image of bin Laden since he was shown at a dinner with associates on Nov. 9, 2001, in Afghanistan. That tape was made public a month later.

Bin Laden was last heard from on April 7, exhorting Muslims in a tape obtained by The Associated Press to rise up against Kuwait, Saudi Arabia and other governments he claimed were “agents of America.†That audiotape, which CIA analysts said appeared to be authentic, made a vague reference to the Iraq conflict, although it was not specific enough to determine whether it had been recorded before or after the Iraqi war began on March 20.

PRAISE FOR 9/11 HIJACKERS

Advertisement

Al-Jazeera reported that the latest package was produced in late April or early May. It did not say whether it knew why the tapes were not delivered until now, but Wednesday was the eve of the second anniversary of the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks in the United States, which were widely blamed on al-Qaida.

On the audiotape, a man purporting to be bin Laden spoke briefly, praising the 19 men who flew hijacked jetliners into the World Trade Center and the Pentagon two years ago in terms closely similar to statements bin Laden has purportedly made in numerous earlier statements.

The speaker mentions five of the Sept. 11 hijackers by name.

“I am honored to have known those men,†he said. “Saeed Alghamdi and his brothers have proven their true faith by sacrificing themselves and their heads for the sake of Allah ... causing the infidels great wrath, which will continue for a long time, Allah willing, when they moved to practical implementation and radical solutions in support of the religion.â€

He praised the attackers as true believers who should become an ideal for other believers.

“Whoever wanted to learn loyalty and courage in support of the religion should learn from Alghamdi, Mohammed Atta, Khalid Almihdhar, Ziad Jarrah, Marwan Al-Shehhi and others,†he said, saying they had learned from “the path of our prophet Muhammad.â€

• The search for peace

• A history of Jewish settlement

• Israel's secret arsenal

• Roots of Islamic anger

• The Palestinian diaspora

• Suicide attacks take toll

• The search for peace

• A history of Jewish settlement

• Israel's secret arsenal

• Roots of Islamic anger

• The Palestinian diaspora

• Suicide attacks take toll

But much of the audiotape, at least in the brief excerpts broadcast by al-Jazeera, was taken up by a statement in which the man claiming to be Zawahiri denounced the Middle East peace process. Al-Jazeera said it would broadcast the rest of the roughly hour-long tape later in the day.

MORE ATTACKS PROMISED

President Bush did not directly refer to the tape in an address Wednesday at the FBI Academy in Quantico, Va. However, he warned that al-Qaida “still plots against our people†and promised that it would be hunted down and defeated.

Other U.S. officials dismissed the message as predictable rhetoric, telling NBC News that bin Laden appeared to be trying to take advantage of the anniversary of the Sept. 11 attacks to rally his troops.

Wednesday was also, however, the same day that Israel bombed the home of a political leader of the Islamist militant group Hamas in response to Hamas suicide bombings that killed 15 Israelis on Tuesday.

According to a translation of the excerpts by MSNBC television, the man claiming to be Zawahiri called on Palestinians in the Israeli-occupied territories “not to be be deceived by America.â€

“Do not abandon your weapon,†he said. “Do not ally yourself with those who ally with and recognize Israel.â€

“Victory is an hour away,†he added.

But, like the man claiming to be bin Laden, the second speaker also noted the anniversary of the U.S. attacks two years ago and promised more strikes.

“On the second anniversary of the raids on New York and Washington, we challenge America and its crusade, which is teetering from its wounds in Afghanistan and Iraq,†the man said. “We tell them that we do not seek to kill, but we will chop off the hand that seeks to inflict harm on us, God willing.

“... We assert that what you saw until now are only the first skirmishes. ... The true epic has not begun. Brace yourselves for the punishment for your crimes.â€

By MSNBC.com’s Alex Johnson with NBC’s Andrea Mitchell in Washington and MSNBC’s Jacob Keryakes and NBC’s Robert Windrem in New York.

This is a breaking news story. Return to MSNBC.com for more details.

I can't take this ..... I swear... I work downtown NYC and I do not want to be here tomorrow. but I am coming in late so i am not in rush hour commute.. and then who knows... all i know is i was in 9/11 (Tower 2 88th floor) and I DO NOT want to be apart of something going down once again... i am petrified.... . :confused: