Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Fishnets at work?

vixenfoxxy

Hi people -

I have an opinion question for you all.

I find regular pantyhose to be uber uncomfortable, especially if i have to sit in an office in them all day (like, hmm, now...)

When I was living in Italy, many of the girls that were going to work in suits and nice dresses had on fishnet stockings, even in prints and stuff, and it was perfectly okay. I brought back a whole bunch of fishnets with me when i moved home, but I'm not so sure that i can wear them to work here. I work in an office full of Italians, I think I'm the only American in here. So I was thinking maybe it would be okay to pair that with a business suit or a nice dress - either in a skin color, white or black.

So, style experts, what's the verdict? Should I wear the fishnets to work?

Depends on your job, and it depends on the fishnets. The ones that have much smaller cross-hatchings (or whatever the hell they're called) might be fine.

What exactly is it about pantyhose that you find uncomfy (I know, kind of a dumb question, what's not uncomfortable about them)? How about wearing thigh-his instead, would those be more comfortable?

Originally posted by tastyt

Depends on your job, and it depends on the fishnets. The ones that have much smaller cross-hatchings (or whatever the hell they're called) might be fine.

What exactly is it about pantyhose that you find uncomfy (I know, kind of a dumb question, what's not uncomfortable about them)? How about wearing thigh-his instead, would those be more comfortable?

Yeah I was thinking about trying thigh-highs. what i hate about pantyhose is 1) that they are itchy 2) i hate the way that control tops cause "rolls" where there weren't any before - know what I mean? Like, it's not fat, it's just that they try to suck everything in and pinch skin, and 3) the non control top types tend to slide down as you walk, and there is nothingggggg i hate more in this world than feeling like i'm walking aorund with something stretchy rubber banding my thighs together. AUUUGGGHHHH who ever came UP with these things anyway?!

but i find the fishnets stay up by themselves and they're made of soft cotton so they don't irritate me half so much.

If I get thigh-highs, do they require a garter belt?

and food for thought.... why is it, anyway, that fishnets are okay at work in Italy, and not here?

btw sigma - i work at the italian cultural institute, I do web updates, event planning/hosting, etc. as of the moment, it's like a small office suite but we all wear suits or at least the guys wear ties and take off their jackets when they get to work.

Originally posted by vixenfoxxy

Yeah I was thinking about trying thigh-highs. what i hate about pantyhose is 1) that they are itchy 2) i hate the way that control tops cause "rolls" where there weren't any before - know what I mean? Like, it's not fat, it's just that they try to suck everything in and pinch skin, and 3) the non control top types tend to slide down as you walk, and there is nothingggggg i hate more in this world than feeling like i'm walking aorund with something stretchy rubber banding my thighs together. AUUUGGGHHHH who ever came UP with these things anyway?!

but i find the fishnets stay up by themselves and they're made of soft cotton so they don't irritate me half so much.

and food for thought.... why is it, anyway, that fishnets are okay at work in Italy, and not here?

btw sigma - i work at the italian cultural institute, I do web updates, event planning/hosting, etc. as of the moment, it's like a small office suite but we all wear suits or at least the guys wear ties and take off their jackets when they get to work.

the institute in nyc??

Originally posted by vixenfoxxy

Yeah, the control tops also give you a uni-cheek. :blank: Hate em.

You'd need a garter belt with stockings, not thigh-his. Thigh-his have like an elasticy-band to keep them up. That can be annoying too, I don't like the Victoria's Secret ones; the bands irritate the skin. But not all brands are like that.

though you may work for the italian institute, the key difference is that you are here in the USA. i think if you worked for a fashion/trendy company where it was ok to dress a bit off the beaten path, then i'd be all for it (they are comfy! so breathable). but, it sounds like no one else is rocking fishnets. i wouldn't be the first to try either. it's too risque.

the ANNOYING thing about thigh highs is that it either pinches your thighs and it gets itchy, or it starts to roll down if you walk around too much. if you're wearing a short skirt, don't even think about bending down and picking anything up or you will be flashing everyone and their mother.

the garter belt helps, but it's frustrating b/c i never wear my skirts high enough to cover it. i'm all about wearing things around my hips.

i usually just suck it up and deal with pantyhose. there's low-cut pantyhose which i prefer b/c it doesn't dig into my gut.

I honestly don't think that it's a big deal at all - they have made fishnets a little more mainstream over the past few years and I think that they come in a number of appropriate weaves and styles. Even trying tights is better than pantyhose (I know the weather isn't exactly permitting right now, but as it gets cooler.) Tights these days are made a lot thinner and come in a lot of cool colors and designs. You should be able to find a nice pair of fishnets that don't make you look like you just came from the cabaret.

• 2 weeks later...

I think nuetral/light ones with a neutral long skirt (w/ boots) look nice, maybe over stockings in a corresponding color, to offset the sexiness a bit. One of my northern fashionista girlfriends wears them with suits in the winter like that, looks pretty nice IMO