Clubplanet Nightlife Community

ATTN: atomicapples, magilicuti, or computer savvy person

iamme

...got a question

I've had my computer for about a year and a half now. I think i have put so much shit on it that it has been slowing down alot...enough to getting annoying. I've got 2 hard drives - one 80GB and one 10 GB...the smaller one is rarely used. What can i do to get this damn thing back to its speed and efficiency when i got it without adding more memory. Thinking of transferring essential files to my smaller 10 GB HD and just reformatting my main drive. this is a pain in the ass...will it be worth it or accomplish what i wanted to do?? is there another way of doing this?

any help is appreciated. thanks in advance. :)

Originally posted by iamme

...got a question

I've had my computer for about a year and a half now. I think i have put so much shit on it that it has been slowing down alot...enough to getting annoying. I've got 2 hard drives - one 80GB and one 10 GB...the smaller one is rarely used. What can i do to get this damn thing back to its speed and efficiency when i got it without adding more memory. Thinking of transferring essential files to my smaller 10 GB HD and just reformatting my main drive. this is a pain in the ass...will it be worth it or accomplish what i wanted to do?? is there another way of doing this?

any help is appreciated. thanks in advance. :)

the space really doesnt affect the speed of the system

invest in some memory..its really cheap

truthfully, take out the 10gig drive. they havent made 10 gig drive in like 8 years. is it a scsi 10000rpm drive? btw : if its that old of a drive, chances are it will crap out, and then you lose all your vital data.

add more ram like smokesum said.

deleting your temp files will also speed up access time...

\\winnt\temp

\\documents and settings\user_profile\temp

defrag your machine will also speed up access time...

but like you said. you have your machine for about 2 1/2 years... have you thought of upgrading your machine?

i measn getting a new machine nowadays is soo cheap its stupid not too... just my 2 cents...

what do you have installed on there? do you have a lot of programs on there?

go to run and type in msconfig, go to the start up tab and if you could list what is running in there.

if its slowing down with age its probably because your programs are taking up too much ram. we're gonna try to free up as much ram as possible.

also run spybot, do a search on goggle for it. when you download it update it then search and destroy. it will kill adware which also could be slowing you down.

if we take out anything that is really unneccessary then your system will speed up

Magilicuti..here is what was listed when i ran msconfig:

WkUFind

RUNDLL32

DirectCD

Winampa

alogserv

CMGrdian

daemon

qttask

NeroCheck

wcmdmfrl

EM_EXEC

lxbkbmgr

realsched

NEWDOT~1

ctfmon

Microsoft Office

Microsoft Works Calenfer Reminders

Banshee Screamer Alarm

PowerRed Scheduler

This looks like alot of garbage...

I have agood amount of programs on here, but im going to get rid of the majority of them today

Originally posted by magilicuti

tell me what's in your start up menu as well

im assuming you mean the startup menu under programs in the start menu..

this is whats listed:

Logitech desktop manager

Microsoft works calender reminder

power reg scheduler

microsoft office

quite a bit, but some of it seemed harmless, should i just delete anything it brings up?

also, i started uninstalling programs, and when i went into the add/remove programs in control panel, i found like 25 entries of something called Windows XP Hotfix...each listing is followed by different text like "(SP1) [see Q324096 for more information]" or "KB821557", etc. Never seen this before...