Clubplanet Nightlife Community

9/19: Cubik: Scumfrog, Liberator, Swamp, Titts + Arse

tittsworth

Do NOT forget about this FRIDAY's CUBIK!

SWAMP has been a DJ for more than 15 years and he took the title of USA DMC CHAMPION in 1996, his very first year involved with the contest.

Known for his turntablist antics (including breakbeats, scratching, juggling, and destroying LPs and vinyl without ever losing the beat), Swamp can turn a simple dj show into something more than words can describe. In concert he's been known to cut himself with shards of shattered vinyl records, scratch a diamond-tipped phonograph needle across his tongue and blow fire, occasionally with calamitous results. "I had to go to the hospital in Phoenix recently with second-degree burns," Swamp said from his publicist's office in New York. "I lit my hand on fire and then blew fire on it and basically became a blow torch. I don't use fire retardant or anything because this is low budget. Dude, I'm just a fire retard."

As a solo artist and DJ, Swamp, who recently issued his debut hip-hop disc, Never Is Now, is even more dynamic. Onstage, huddled between a pair of turntables, his unkempt long hair, black polished fingernails and aggressive antics make Swamp look more like a death metal dude than a DJ. And with his wild eyes, perpetual scowl and scraggly beard and moustache, he could easily take home a Severed Head trophy in a Charles Manson look-alike contest. And that's just fine with him." Being sinister is kind of the common thread to everything I do," he said. "There's a lot of different styles, but it's all about the creepy music and the phat beats. I'm probably the hip-hop equivalent to Rob Zombie." Like Zombie's latest, Never Is Now is filled with dramatic rhythms, chilling moods, disturbing sound bites and apocalyptic imagery. The single "Ring of Fire" begins with a creepy organ scale redolent of gothic horror films before latching into some eerie keyboard patches, old-school hip-hop beats and hard rapping. (excerpt taken from MTV Article11.14.2001 by Jon Wiederhorn)

Swamp will wreak havoc on tour with Tomahawk through the end of the year.

Also, Swamp has appeared in the pages of Rolling Stone, Spin, Subculture, Raygun, Mean, DJ Times, Keyboard, Rap Sheet, DJ Times, Mixer, Rap Pages, The LA Times, and Urb. Urb magazine says "Witnessing Swamp torture the 1200's is like watching a magic show".

Music appearances:

• Beck

• Big Gank

• The Bloodhound Gang,

• BT

• Crystal Method

• The Dandy Worhals

• DEVO

• The Dust Bros

• Econoline Crush

• Faithless

• Hanson

• Kid Rock

• Kool Keith

• Morcheeba

• OPM

• Richard Humpty Vission

• RL Burnside

• Save Ferris

• StickY fingaz

• Taxi Ride

• Vanilla Ice

• Weird Al Yankovic

• Plus More

Television Appearances

• ABC In Concert

• The American Music Awards

• Conan O'brien

• David Letterman

• ESPN /ABC WINTER X GAMES 2001

• ESPN's SUMMER X GAMES 2000

• Farmclub.com

• The Grammy Awards

• Jay Leno

• Jooles Holland

• The MTV awards

• Much Music

• Sessions on PBS

• TGI Friday

• Top of the Pops

Movie Appearances

• Clockstoppers

• Scratch

from

http://www.djswamp.com/

Also this night in the front room, TITTS + ARSE!!! I will be opening up, providing some lighter, jazzier, more soulful drum and bass for the open bar hour before launching into a tech filled assault, warming heads up right for SWAMP. Make sure and stay afterwards as ARSE keeps the pace with his 'arsenault' of new tunes, thick mixes and turntable precision.

please visit http://www.tittsworth.com and sign up for the forum!

AND IN THE MAIN ROOM:

THE SCUMFROG

The Scumfrog's impact on the global dance music scene is undeniable. Since 2001, he has scored six number one club hits in the US and UK, and recently three of his productions were simultaneously in the top ten of the Billboard Club Chart. Whether he is on tour in the US, Asia, South America, or Europe, his extraordinary performances continue to draw bigger crowds each month.

His remixes and collaborations with artists like Annie Lennox, David Bowie, Monica & Missy Elliot, George Michael, and Kylie Minogue, have been featured on virtually every major record label as well as on acclaimed independents like Bedrock, Tommy Boy, Intec, and Defected.

At the end of 2002, his single "Music Revolution" was available as a free download on of his website for ten weeks. This generated enough play and publicity for the song to make a big impact during the 2003 Miami Winter Conference, at which he signed a UK artist deal with Positiva. The legendary dance label licensed the single and The Scumfrog's first full length, 2CD compilation "Extended Engagement", featuring 20 of his recent productions and remixes.

The Scumfrog's widely publicized and much talked about live performances are not limited to mixing records. They include his live vocals, percussion, samples, and occasional guest performances. His colorful live sets and consistently innovative productions landed him on the cover of DJ magazine in May 2003, and brought him frequent exposure on Pete Tong's BBC1 radio shows. In April 2003 the British station aired the first Scumfrog Essential Mix.

For over ten years, The Scumfrog (a.k.a. Jesse Houk) DJ'd in and around his hometown of Amsterdam. He moved to New York in 1997, where he recorded the first Scumfrog single, "The Watersong." Three years later, his soulful "Learning To Fly" was signed to Roger Sanchez's R*Senal records, and, in 2001, The Scumfrog and Sanchez toured together. That same year, "We Love You" (a cover of the Rolling Stones 60's classic) became the first Scumfrog number one Club hit in the UK. Ever since, this Dutch born performer/producer has been a familiar face behind turntables around the globe.

The latest addition to the Scumfrog Empire is the New York based label Effin Records, a collaboration with industry heavyweight Steve Rosen. "Music Revolution" the first Effin release, was followed by the Scumfrog-produced project "Dutch featuring Crystal Waters", which was licensed to Sony throughout Europe. Other Effin releases in the coming year will include The Scumfrog's first artist album, expected in March 2004.

To check out everything about The Scumfrog, visit www.thescumfrog.com

Also in the MAIN ROOM on FRIDAY:

AARON LIBERATOR

Aaron started DJing in 1989 where he played a mixture of soul, house, and hip hop. In 1990 he met both Julian and Chris. As squatters themselves the three of them began to organize parties in friend's squats and as DJs they became known as Liberator. During 1991 they started to party with Traveller Sound Systems and went on to play records at free festivals with Bedlam, Conspiracy, and Spinal Tribe. 1993 saw the start of Nuclear Free Zone; a regular club night founded by Liberator with DJ Rocket, which is still going strong today. Also in this year, Stay Up Forever Records was established. Designed to reflect the musical style that Liberator played in the underground scene, it has become a definitive acid techno label, along with its sister Cluster.

As Liberator, Aaron, Julian, and Chris have been able to DJ across Europe and beyond; however, they are still to be found playing at illegal parties in London most weekends.

Aaron's style of music covers everything from house to hard techno, whilst keeping it funky and trippy with a freestyle attitude

Also this night:

-AARON HEDGES in the nu-wave/electro RUBIK room!

-JADED CREW takever on the patio!

-18 & over w/ proper, gov’t-issued, photo ID

-9 p.m. - 4 a.m. | OPEN BAR from 9 p.m. - 10 p.m.

-$10 for Buzz members (until 12 midnight)

-$12 non-Buzz members before 11 p.m.

-$15 non-Buzz members after 11 p.m.

For information on how to become a Buzz member at no charge, visit www.buzzlife.com

CüBIK is every Friday at NATION

1015 Half St. SE, WDC

http://www.buzzlife.com

http://www.buzzlife.com/mssg_brd/index.php

last week I realized how great friday night parties were. I'm used to going to the tunnel on saturday night, and realizing that it was sunday by the time I left... meaning I had to work the next day.

well, I got out of cübik firday night- to realize that it was only saturday, and I had the whole weekend still ahead of me!!!

WOOT F'N WOOT to friday nights again!!!!

Originally posted by Buddafly21

last week I realized how great friday night parties were. I'm used to going to the tunnel on saturday night, and realizing that it was sunday by the time I left... meaning I had to work the next day.

well, I got out of cübik firday night- to realize that it was only saturday, and I had the whole weekend still ahead of me!!!

WOOT F'N WOOT to friday nights again!!!!

i like that "woot f'n woot" i just wouldnt' expect that from a buddafly....;)

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

If you're broke like me but want to save mad loot on Diesel, Diesel Style Lab, Ben Sherman, Puma, Nike, French Connection, Kenneth Cole, Lucky Brand up to 75% off regular price:

http://www.buzzlife.com/mssg_brd/showthrea...&threadid=20606

CüBIK: Buzzlife opens its third chapter at Nation...

Buzzlife has been the cornerstone of the DC EDM scene for over a decade, from its humble warehouse beginnings to its rise as the #1 Club Event in America year after year. Buzzlife hosts DJ-driven tents at the yearly HFStival, the Area 1 and 2 festivals, and indoor events such as the HFS Nutcracker parties. Buzzlife is proud to present:

CüBIK — THINK INSIDE THE BOX...

FRIDAY, SEPT. 19, 2003: ATTACK OF THE SCUMFROG | DJ SWAMP | AARON LIBERATOR

Dutch DJ, the Scumfrog, is well known for his brilliant remixes of Dirty Vegas’ “Days Gone By†and Kylie Minogue’s “Love at First Sight†-- a Scott Henry favorite in 2002. Scumfrog’s biggest fans include some of the world’s most respected DJ’s: Danny Tenaglia, Roger Sanchez and Pete Tong.

As one of the Liberator “brothersâ€, Aaron, (like label-mates Chris and Julian) regularly plays across the UK, Europe and beyond; however, they are still to be found playing at illegal parties in London most weekends. Aaron's style of music covers everything from underground techy house to hard techno, whilst keeping it funky and trippy with a freestyle attitude.

Honey Cübe:

Rhythm Box: drums, bass and junglism

• DJ SWAMP “live turntablist performance†[ 1996 US DMC Champion | DJ for Beck | LA ]
  • JESSE TITTSWORTH [ http://www.tittsworth.com | KRUNK | ALIAS | “Titts & Arse†| DC ]
  • BRIAN ARSENAULT [ http://www.tittsworth.com | ALIAS | “Titts & Arse†| DC ]

Rübik Room: nü wave 80’s | electro | retrotechno

Outdoor Cübana: Jaded Crew takeover — droppin the straight funk all night

• JonH and RASKAL [ Red Menace | Fort Knox Five | Jaded | DC ]
  • BUSTER [ Snowball | Buzzlife | Jaded | DC ]
    ++with live percussion++
  • REX RIDDEM [ Snowball | Jaded | DC ]

FRIDAY, SEPT. 26, 2003: FRIENDSTER NIGHT

Haven’t been to Friendster.com? Well it’s coming to you this weekend at Cübik. This “six-degrees-of-separation†site (www.friendster.com). has almost a million members, who link to other users through friends. And guess which metro area has the most Friendster members in the U.S.? Washington/Baltimore of course!

Honey Cübe:

Rhythm Box: drums, bass and junglism

• TEEBEE [ Metalheadz | Subtitles | Prototype | Norway ]
  • JUNGLE JESSI [ Soul Effects | Dilou Records | Junglist League | Tribalistix | DC ]
  • PATRICK MINEO [ Project Belligerence | DC ]

Rübik Room: nü wave 80’s | electro | retrotechno

• TOBY ROBERTS aka TR5200SS [ GHM | Lemurgene | DC ]

Outdoor Cübana: District Soul takeover
  • AVERY [ District Soul | DJ Hut | Sahara Records | DC ]
  • BOBBY JAE [ District Soul | DCDNB.ORG | DC ]
  • D-SHARP [ District Soul | Booze Brothers, Inc. | Shine | DC ]
  • JOHNSON LEE [ District Soul | DC ]
  • LBS [ District Soul | Booze Brothers, Inc. | DC ]

• 18 & over w/ proper, gov’t-issued, photo ID
  • 9 p.m. - 4 a.m. | OPEN BAR from 9 p.m. - 10 p.m.
  • $10 for Buzz members (until 12 midnight)
  • $12 non-Buzz members before 11 p.m.
  • $15 non-Buzz members after 11 p.m.

For information on how to become a Buzz member at no charge, visit www.buzzlife.com

Sneak Peak: Crystal Method, Sandra Collins, Photek, Baron, Friction and more....

Vote for Scott Henry, John Tab, Jesse Tittsworth, Brian Arsenault and ODJ in DJ Magazine’s Top 100 poll. Poll closes Oct. 3.

http://www.djmag.com/vote.asp

CüBIK is every Friday at NATION

1015 Half St. SE, WDC