Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Who else besides me thinks Nerve's sound system is loud

Bling

i love nerve but the only thing i hate is the sound is blasted. its a small venue and the speakers blow my eardrums they have to lower it a bit

what do u think? hell even space though it has more power goin to its speakers doesnt make me deaf when i leave the place like nerve does LOL

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well we do have one of the most powerful systems on the beach, that is a fact. The phason is big basey and powerful but when used correctly is not too loud.. the problem is that several of the guests (no names mentioned) abuse our system - I tell them over and over again where the maximum level the main outs should be at and constantly they push the system to unbearable points.. the next step is a limiter but hopefully we can get some guests to respect our equipment for a change making a wonderful environment for all of you.... see you all friday

Jon

Originally posted by shroomy

you better believe it. :)

BTW there should be a rule... first the DJ should have to take a hearing test, then go sit on one of the couches between the speakers for a whole track.

charlie coming out for real this time?? I sure hope so

J

Guest saleen351

me, dui, bingo, raymond all said it was wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too loud. Jon we aren't speaking of clarity, it's clear but the overall volume is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too loud all the time.. Hence why i went in the booth and told you last week. I can see at 2am cranking it, but you guys don't foster a social lounge atmosphere early on, and i can say for sure you loose money, cause we don't want to stay and drink, it's just too loud... Karma does the same, thus why i avoid karma...Why clubs don't slowly build up the sound like they use too is a mystery too me..

Originally posted by saleen351

me, dui, bingo, raymond all said it was wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too loud. Jon we are speaking of clarity, it's clear but the overall volume is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too loud all the time.. Hence why i went in the booth and told you last week. I can see at 2am cranking it, but you guys don't foster a social lounge atmosphere early on, and i can say for sure you loose money, cause we don't want to stay and drink, it's just too loud... Karma does the same, thus why i avoid karma...Why clubs don't slowly build up the sound like they use too is a mystery too me..

couldn't agree more - thats why when I go on I always lower the system.. we just need the other djs to do the same - we'll get there and we're working on it... like everything in life its a learning process - see you all for Lee Burridge...:hat:

I personally do not like the system at Nerve. It is way to much for the size of the room.

I'm sure when Dan comes down from Chicago and tunes it, it sounds great . It doesn't take long for it to go out of wack. With that much power, a wrong tuned rig is amplified that much more.

I truly would love to see nerve sell their sound system to a new big club (Maybe downtown) and bring in like 6 stacks with plenty of power (like crown amps, workhorses) and fill that entire room with good, powerful, easy to tune up sound. After selling the sound rig, bringing in new sound, they should still have money left over for something else the club needs.

Just my opinion. I have never felt that the biggest and newest is the best. technics 1200's are over 20 years old. I like work horses for the biz. Consistently good is better than sometimes great, sometimes not

Guest saleen351
Originally posted by mrjoebudious

I personally do not like the system at Nerve. It is way to much for the size of the room.

I'm sure when Dan comes down from Chicago and tunes it, it sounds great . It doesn't take long for it to go out of wack. With that much power, a wrong tuned rig is amplified that much more.

I truly would love to see nerve sell their sound system to a new big club (Maybe downtown) and bring in like 6 stacks with plenty of power (like crown amps, workhorses) and fill that entire room with good, powerful, easy to tune up sound. After selling the sound rig, bringing in new sound, they should still have money left over for something else the club needs.

Just my opinion. I have never felt that the biggest and newest is the best. technics 1200's are over 20 years old. I like work horses for the biz. Consistently good is better than sometimes great, sometimes not

hmmm good point, but i think they thought the phazon sound thing would be a draw for clubbers, but i really could care less what nameplate is on it, just as long as i can talk in a lounge..

if they just take all those couches out of there then they don't even have to try to be a lounge, they can be a small to mid size dance club, use the couches on Tuesday, that's a lounge party, but take them out on Friday, that's a dance party, then the sound wouldn't seem so bad, though I also agree that smaller speakers and more of them would be better....

Let the dj's crank it as loud as they f-ing want

You know why?

There should be a limiter on the system as well as each freq. band...

period!

I can't believe you don't have a limiter on such a powerful and expensive system.

Not just to limit the sound output but to protect your damn investment...that's simply ridiculous!

Like a sports car with no brakes...and no seatbelt! :D

Seriously, I know what im talking about...i previously did pro sound design, install and sales for both Mars & Sam Ash.

BTW...Im just curious, do they not have SPL laws down here?

It does'nt seem so, or they don't enforce them.

In orlando, guys would come into the clubs with their SPL meters and fine us on the spot. After a certain number, there could be some major fines...could even affect liq. lic too:eek:

SS:D

Originally posted by mrjoebudious

YOU CAN THANK OUR EX PARTER STORMS FOR THAT ABORTION, I ALSO WOULD HAVE LIKED A NICE SMALLER FULLER SYSTEM. OH WELL MAYBE SOON.

Personally, I think that most of the responsibility of the system's loudness rests with the performers of the evening. The current system in Nerve can sound fantastic, in the proper hands...what is unusual is the fact that it's a Phazon rig in a small venue, Phazon systems are typically found in large venues like Arc, crobar, and The Womb in Tokyo. DJs see the Phazon nameplate, and their instinct is to push it, of course.

A decent limiter, like an FDS-360 would do the job of keeping it under control...Phazon tends to use BSS gear anyways for that app, so I don't see why there should be an issue of getting one installed, without voiding the service contract.

fds360.jpg

The downside of owning a Phazon system is the service of course, it is not like a local installer did the work. The installer is out of New York City, a thousand miles away, and cannot be down here all the time. If the club had a Funktion-One rig, or perhaps a custom install from the talented team over at Infinite, putting a limiter in would not be an issue at all...an FDS-360 is under a grand nowadays, and is a simple, clean limiter...though if I'm not mistaken, a far superior -388 should already be in the rack as part of a standard Phazon install...again, no one can fuck with the curves input into the BSS, maybe Phazon gave the DJs too much room on this system...

Guys, it is very simple.

Like someone said, the system should be tuned w a limit as to what the maximum level is before the whole thing goes out of whack. You cant blame guest dj's for getting past the appropriate levels.. its like u let ur buddy drive your porsche but tell him not to get passed 4th gear...

I have long been a huge fan of Phazon rigs, and I do believe the system at nerve is one of the very best of the whole city... but quite honestly it does go a lil bit above the tolerable levels.. for example during Demi's set, the highs were too damb high in many cases making me and everyone on the dancefloor cover their ears... Like i said before, this could be prevented by having the system set to an optimum maximum. I do remeber that not too long ago, maybe 3 or 4 weeks ago the guys at nerve mentinoed that the Dash team was in tweaking the system, so there shouldnt be an issue w the sytem being out of tune...

I think it should be a matter of telling the guys at phazon what is going on and i am more than certain they will adjust whatever it is that needs to be adjusted to prevent that from happening...

Whoever said that they should get rid of the phazon, with all due respect, is completely out of his mind.. it would be like taking the engine out of your car just because its too 'powerful'... You should also keep in mind that along with the team and the operation behind fridays at nerve, the system is one of the attracting factors for booking such good talent at this particular venue. I hope u guys take care of it soon... I am sure it is not that big of an issue.

See you all this Friday...

Peace!!

Mp3.- :smoke:

Originally posted by nerveguy

YOU CAN THANK OUR EX PARTER STORMS FOR THAT ABORTION, I ALSO WOULD HAVE LIKED A NICE SMALLER FULLER SYSTEM. OH WELL MAYBE SOON.

------------

Mario sopena

u are kidding right? abortion? a Steve dash installed phazon sound system is now an abortion? once again you show the world how much you know about this business. before we met you thought Steve dash was a hockey player, and mynt was a candy to make your mouth smell fresh, and yes it was me who hooked nerve up with the phazon sound and Rudolf up with a job, and brought the coyotes in on Tues. and booked big name DJ's (Grammy award winners) on Fridays and brought in the comar lighting, and introduced to the club guys like Jon cowan to help promote, and gave guys like PM sessions a shot and the list goes on and on. basically every thing that is remotely anything good at nerve has come from me...but the usual story is you taking credit for all my work, so its so nice to see that you have acknowledged the fact that i brought in the number one sound system in the country to nerve

speaking of PM sessions why did they leave? with thousands of screaming fans chanting on the dance floor (according to Jon's reviews on cp.) why would he/they leave nerve to go promote at a restaurant? seems strange to me but at least when he left he was a gentleman in a half i must say that, he even thanked Jon for teaching him how to promote and get DJ's........wow how hard is it to pick up the phone, call a booking agent and pay top dollar for everyone?......anyway Marco may not be the most loyal cat in the jungle but i will give him credit he really loves his music and he is a gentleman so with that i wish him all the best of luck anyone could possibly have, and i thank him for all the hard work and all the good he attempted to do at nerve. i hope the new venue that he is promoting his dance music at (Luna restaurant) works out well for him ...i truly hope everyone supports him! ( even though he thanked everyone at nerve in his thread but the guy who hired him....................lol...........but that's OK who can remember when the volume is so loud right Marco!)

Any way back to the sound system - this thread does not even deserve an answer, and I swore to my self I would not post and argue with people that have been clubbing for 2 years or with people that can't even get into clubs, cough cough............anyway hear it goes just this one last time........... in my humble opinion, Steve dash is to night club sound systems what Enzo Ferrari is to cars or picasso is to painting. he is very arguably the very best in the world at what he does. that's why all the top venues around the world are using phazon, clubs like the roxy in NY (upgrading again for the third time in 2 years, they keep getting a bigger and bigger phazon - new system should come in at around 750k to 1 million i would estimate), or twilo or crobar both in NY and Miami, these clubs are very successful and are true leaders in the music /club business, but you, Jon, pod and Joe budious know better, and think phazon is an "abortion"....

the Nerve sound system was not only perfectly set up and tuned to perfection but sounded so incredible, thus making nerve one of the best sounding clubs in the world (pound for pound for a 5,000 sq. ft venue).......guys that were here for conference, artists such as sasha, Timmy regisford, David morales, little Louie, Steve lawyer, john digweed, Tribal Gathering Sessions, SANDER KLEINENBERG, STANTON WARRIORS, GREG VICKERS, THE INLAND KNIGHTS, Jimmy Van M, Chris Fortier, Luke Fair, Sean Cusick, Randall Jones, Tim Deluxe, Darren Emerson, Hector Romero, Kenny Dope etc. ALL PRAISED THE PHAZON SOUND SYSTEM............this was, and still is the only draw to get top name DJ's at nerve. I 'm not talking your top end DJ's, I'm taking mine, guys like frankie knuckles, roger sanchez, David morales, john digweed, Satoshi Tomiie, etc. I'm talking Grammy winners not just bookings for the sake of a booking a DJ. Anyone who has ever booked these guys knows this to be a fact and it says it right in the performers rider, that there is to be NO LIMITER on the system........why? A) these guys are professionals (not new jacks) and they don't blow shit up, they walk the dancefloor and they have an ear and talent and have developed their craft and B). because it makes the system sound like shit......you put limiters on a system when you have kids playing not musicians, when these true artists and masters of their craft have hit the turntables (yes Joe the 1200s are real good, and thanks for the update on that, real work horses as quoted by satoshi in workhorse magazine jan 2003) at nerve they have made the phazon system sound like the philamonic orchestra.........but under the present watchful eye of the nerve team now, speakers a blown all over the place, everyone drives the system past what it sounds good at, everyone is adjusting shit (with out having a clue what they are doing) and basically in a nut shell you don't give a Ferrari race car to a kid that has a learners permit, or in this case to a bunch of new jack warm up DJ's no wonder everyone is complaining and speakers are blowing right and left and ears are ringing..............but to blame that on Steve dash or the phazon sound system is absolutely disgusting, the team of dash and smith are one of the few great ones left in this business and for you to bash them or anyone else for that matter is again DISGUSTING.........let me guess you run your cigarette boat into the pier at full throttle at 95mph and its the manufactures fault...........MAYBE PHAZON SHOULD MAKE A SOUND SYSTEM WITH TRAINING WHEELS ON IT!

maybe if the powers that be paid a little attention or new what they were doing or better yet spent less time on this board blowing smoke up each others asses. the system would sound great..........anyway i don't have the time to battle every little kid until my thread gets moved to the drama section, but you guys always seem to be blaming something or someone, how about trying to do a new promotion or a theme - GET ONE NEW IDEA or connection THAT YOU DID NOT STEAL FROM ME AND EVERYONE IN SOUTHBEACH WILL BE SO IMPRESSED.........

in reference to down sizing the system. let me know how much you want for it and maybe i have a buyer for you, i personally think crobar will buy it off you in a second (assuming your not asking for 10x what you paid for it as usual) than you can put in a Joe budious downsized mamba jamba system, or a jukebox or whatever

JUST MY 30% (i mean $. 02)