Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Question about form & training

tommyarmani

As long as GOOD form is used, shouldnt one strive to use heavyier wieghts and/or do more reps each time.

Isn't it called the principle of 'progressive resistance' which is the most basic principle in a quest to add more mass.

I use a variety of techniques such as continous tension, progressive resistance, super sets, drop sets, descending sets, giant sets, triple drops, 21's, pre exhaustion, one & halfs, blah blah blah...

But when looking for mass, what is the best way to go?

thanks

Andre the giant

Originally posted by tommyarmani

As long as GOOD form is used, shouldnt one strive to use heavyier wieghts and/or do more reps each time.

Isn't it called the principle of 'progressive resistance' which is the most basic principle in a quest to add more mass.

I use a variety of techniques such as continous tension, progressive resistance, super sets, drop sets, descending sets, giant sets, triple drops, 21's, pre exhaustion, one & halfs, blah blah blah...

But when looking for mass, what is the best way to go?

thanks

Andre the giant

do u try to do curls while standing on your head...:confused:

talk about adding mass....whew :blown::laugh: :laugh:

your welcome

tugboat thomas

Originally posted by FrankieGunz

Leave the machines for the girls.

*obligatory :rolleyes:*

making incredible gains comes from, in addition to lifting heavy and eating right, not sticking to the same workout for 3 years. your muscles will eventually get used to 5x5, too, and then it'll be time to change up your workout again.

I switched my workout from high reps to lower reps and heavier weights. 5x5 sets

Made incredible gains as far as size and strengh. I make sure form is number one and then come the weights.

Stay away from the machines and try to use more free weights. Leave the machines for the girls.

Dorian Yates was a big propotent of using machines. Go pick up his video "Blood and Guts". He incorporates plenty of machine work, and his size speaks for itself obviously.

I'm sure once your that size your gains come easier.

My point is your not going to get any size and strenght working primarily with machines.

You have to use the "big" exercises to make the big gains. I use machines primarily to cut up. I use the free weights to gain mass.

Take a look at the bigger guys at your gym. You'll notice they squat, bench press and dead lift.

I'm sure once your that size your gains come easier.

My point is your not going to get any size and strenght working primarily with machines.

You have to use the "big" exercises to make the big gains. I use machines primarily to cut up. I use the free weights to gain mass.

Take a look at the bigger guys at your gym. You'll notice they squat, bench press and dead lift.

The only thing I was refuting was your statement "Leave the machines for the girls."

I work primarly with free weights and compound movements as well.

i think there are alot of things to getting bigger, but i dont think the amount of weight really matters(to some degree) i think you came make much harder by using it right with longer neg and going all the way down

i think the way you eat(especially breakfest and the meal right after the workout) and train have alot of it(volume=more reps and longer neg)

remember this is JUST my opinion, but....

p.s. good genitics help too(my friend can eat pizza and BK every single day. Drinks about 4 times a week, and does bad form. And he is HUGE and CUT)

Originally posted by incredulous

i think there are alot of things to getting bigger, but i dont think the amount of weight really matters(to some degree) i think you came make much harder by using it right with longer neg and going all the way down

i think the way you eat(especially breakfest and the meal right after the workout) and train have alot of it(volume=more reps and longer neg)

remember this is JUST my opinion, but....

p.s. good genitics help too(my friend can eat pizza and BK every single day. Drinks about 4 times a week, and does bad form. And he is HUGE and CUT)

True, there's alot to it indeed. If it were all about poundages then powerlifters would be the biggest guys around, and obviously they are not. Strictly from a training perspective the key to gaining size is getting a pump, forcing as much blood into the muscle and stretching the fascia to increase it's size and grow.

This can be done through various techniques (and their effectiveness does vary from person to person).