Clubplanet Nightlife Community
Sign in to follow this  

Wesley Clark to run for White House

Wednesday September 17, 10:10 PM

Former NATO commander Clark to run for White House in 2004

ADVERTISEMENT Siti Nurhaliza Sarah X Factor Ziana Zain Ezlyn Revolvers

Retired four-star general and former NATO commander Wesley Clark said he will vie for the Democratic nomination to run against President George W. Bush in 2004.

Asked whether he was throwing his hat into the ring, Clark told CNN television: "Yes I am."

He is expected to make an official announcement later Wednesday in his hometown of Little Rock, Arkansas.

Clark, 58, who led NATO's 1999 campaign in Kosovo and has repeatedly criticized the US-led war in Iraq, has been hinting for months that he would jump into the fray.

Clark has virtually no political experience and lacks the name recognition of some of the other nine Democrats seeking to unseat Bush in November 2004.

But supporters say Clark, who served as a military analyst for CNN television during the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq, has the sterling military and foreign policy credentials needed to challenge the US leader.

Asked whether it might be ambitious for him to seek the White House in his first run for elective office, Clark told CNN: "It is, but it's extraordinary times, and this is what my expertise, my leadership experience, my whole career has pointed and prepared me for as opposed to, let's say, a state official or something.

"I've had a lot of diplomatic experience. I've done a lot of work with security policy. I think I'm the best person to look at the future (of the United States) and keep us safe," he told CNN.