Clubplanet Nightlife Community

DJs out there: Prices

Ive been dying to start DJing even though Im 24 which is kinda old to start...just give me the prices on what it would be to start up...like buying turntables and whatever else u need...nothing too mindblowing but like decent stuff to get me by initially...eventually id like to get onto producing but that can wait

What ever you do don’t go cheap on the decks. Get 1200’s it will make a world of difference. You can pick up a used set for about $500. Don’t worry they will not loose their value. As for a mixer get a 2 channel mixer with a 3 band eq in each channel. You can play through your hose stereo if it has RCA inputs. Shure needles slip-mats and headphones and you’re ready to go

And 24 is not to all to start.

Good luck

Originally posted by bogb

What ever you do don’t go cheap on the decks. Get 1200’s it will make a world of difference. You can pick up a used set for about $500. Don’t worry they will not loose their value. As for a mixer get a 2 channel mixer with a 3 band eq in each channel. You can play through your hose stereo if it has RCA inputs. Shure needles slip-mats and headphones and you’re ready to go

And 24 is not to all to start.

Good luck

Some vinyl would help too.

I've been DJing a little over a year and I've already spent about 2 grand on records - and that was lucky 'cause I got a bunch either free or really cheap from my radio station. But be prepared to spend a lot of your money on it.. at times I've spent so much on vinyl I'd spend the rest of a week eating V8 and chocolate milk. But damn, it was worth it! Vinyl eventually runs you up more bills than the setup itself.

i've been dj'in for alittle over a year i've sp;ent maybe 2500 - 3000 on equipment and maybe 2 grand on vinyl. startin off u can get some beginner sets for 400 but after a few months u will regret buyin the cheap stuff. cause u are gonna buy the exspensive stuff later and just have the old stuff lyin around.

There is no doubt that you should get the best... You are going to have to eventually. I am actully selling my set up if you are interested.

I have 2 Vestax pdxa1s turntables(by far the best on the market. these tables do NOT skip!!!! They are way better than tech's)

1 Numark Pro SM1 scratch mixer.

1 mdr7506 headphone

3 Stanton Disc master needles

if you are interested, email me

Joey when you have about a $1000 bucks to spend let me know. I'll get you a set of techs a decent mixer and a set of needles plus I'll hook you up with my boy who distributes records. I pay 8 bucks for imports and 5 for domestics.

Thanks for the Carl Cox CD. I swear I hear Lori screaming in the background.

When is everyone going out again? Let us know we want to go.......

Originally posted by puzzledprod

Joey when you have about a $1000 bucks to spend let me know. I'll get you a set of techs a decent mixer and a set of needles plus I'll hook you up with my boy who distributes records. I pay 8 bucks for imports and 5 for domestics.

Thanks for the Carl Cox CD. I swear I hear Lori screaming in the background.

When is everyone going out again? Let us know we want to go.......

hahaha i defnitely dont doubt lori screaming in the background....tonight and tomorrow...tonight were going to Capitale...not ur type of spot...tomorrow Avalon...i went last week for the opening...unbelievable...everyone should be coming as well...u guys gotta check ur emails...send me an email if ur coming through tomorrow...u got my address

I just put a set up together and the costs build up.

Start buying vinyl first little by little, to get used to handling the decks and to buy music that you actually like instead of getting tables and then buying vinyl that's 50/50 b/c you need it.

Ebay is the way to go.

Buy used 1200's, but not a used mixer or needles.

Good luck.

:D

Originally posted by joecrack13

correct me if im wrong but nowadays cant u spend about half the money of vinyl since DJs now use burnt CDs as well as using vinyl?...by the way to the chick who just replied what station u work for cause my laid off ass would love to work at a radio station

Technically yes, you can burn CD's but... I really hate using CD's. I prefer to feel the vinyl under my fingers. Also, a lot of my friends are producers and I work at a law firm that represents a lot of EDM artists, and just seeing it from their side I don't download things unless it's either a dire emergency or they've given me express permission to do it.

I DJ at the radio station at my university, so I don't get paid for it. I do, however, get to nip the promotional vinyl 'cause I'm one of two people that actually spin house at the station. Everyone else either just plays tracks or spins hip hop or DNB. That in itself is good though, it's saved me a lot of cash. But if you want to work at a station why not just apply around? see what you can dig up :)

my friend spins mostly with cd's and is more than satisfied with the cd players he has, i think pioneers... he's got like 3x as many trax as me cause he doesnt pay for them! (although this might change in the future)...

personally I am a purist, vinyl only ;) I'm sure I'll sway in the future though somewhat

Originally posted by neptune1

my friend spins mostly with cd's and is more than satisfied with the cd players he has, i think pioneers... he's got like 3x as many trax as me cause he doesnt pay for them! (although this might change in the future)...

personally I am a purist, vinyl only ;) I'm sure I'll sway in the future though somewhat

oh and you're gonna drop probably $700-800 on a set up, and within a month spend that on vinyl... very costly habit :(

First of all: CD DJs = Wanna DJs

my setup

1. Technics SL1210MKII *2

2. RANE MP24Z Mixer

3. Pioneer EFX 500

4. JBL SF15

5. JBL CAB45 *2

6. Lightung Trusses, Lights, Etc.

7. Supper Computer with software for music and Sound

8. Ortofon Night Club Concordes *2

9. American DJ PRO300MKII (Doesnt have seemless looping, but like I said, I am mostly vinyl anyways.)

10.. Records. Over 10,000 (hahaha)

Cost : hmmm..... 5 figures and them some