Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Belmar houses and security deposits?

a few people had told me that there is a time limit whereas if you don't get a deposit back or aren't notified that you aren't getting any, that the owner owes extra money...........not sure of the time layover or amount or eve if this is true but if anyone knows for sure, please fill me in.

Thanks! :cool:

my boy claims if the landlord does not give the security deposit back or a bill for damages within a month, you are legally entitled to 2 times the security...

dont know if it is true tho..but there has to be some kind of time constraints on returning the security deposit

Originally posted by tyco

a few people had told me that there is a time limit whereas if you don't get a deposit back or aren't notified that you aren't getting any, that the owner owes extra money...........not sure of the time layover or amount or eve if this is true but if anyone knows for sure, please fill me in.

Thanks! :cool:

Teeman is right.

New Jersey's Rent Security Act provides that, within 30 days after you vacate the premises, the landlord must provide you with either a list of damages to which the security deposit was applied or return to you the deposit (or a combination of both). The landlord must do this via certified mail, return receipt requested.

If the landlord fails to provide you with the list or return the money, you can file a lawsuit in special civil court and seek double damages as well as attorney fees incurred in collecting the monies. Also, the landlord was require to place the security in a segregated, interest earning account.

Just note that, if you did damage the premise, you are not entitled to double the amount of the whole deposit solely because the landlord violation the statute. That is, the landlord is entitled to monies for damages, and the amount left over would be doubled.

The statute of limitations in NJ for breach of contract is 6 years.

PM me if you want to talk more!!!