Clubplanet Nightlife Community

party monster

djbuster

ran into a bunch of party monsters at the movie...(tini, crank, rocky, kkkkken)

what did y'all think?

i couldnt stop thinking that Makauly Calkin (however the fuck you spell his name) was gonna put aftershave on his face and start screaming...

it was pretty funny to see that movie....Limelight was the first club i ever went to, and i spent MANY a night at Disco 2000. it was even more of a freakshow than the movie showed.

i have a feeling the book is alot better than the movie...but it was entertaining.

*here's my short review that i posted on the buzzboard.*

overall, i enjoyed it. Seth Green gave a stellar performance as James St. James. there were a couple of mis-casts of key characters that detracted from the film (Culkin as Alig, Dillon McDermot as Peter Gatien, plus a couple of others). i suspect the production may have suffered because they spent too much of the budget on actors' salaries (there's a bunch of cameos in this movie). the directors use some clever tricks to bring in both Alig and St. James as narrators. the scenes with the mouse/mouse hole are great. i don't want to give too much of it away. if anyone is interested in the club kid phenomenon and/or the scene in new york in the early 90s, then i would definitely recommend this film.

Originally posted by oldschoolny

Buster these pictures should bring back some memories. I hung out at Limelight from 90 to 94. I also went to the other Gatien clubs. What a great time that was.

http://www.photo.net/photo/pcd1321/

haha! looks like the hot body contest in full effect!

you remember la-la-landia? the secret raver-den hidden above the bar in the back of the main room?

those days were definitely crazy - i dont know if i'll ever experience some shit like that again...

i think the book provides more insight into the background of the club kid era but i suspect since it is from james st. james' point of view, the documentary about the whole michael alig/club kid thing is bit more indepth and impartial.

the movie i felt was pretty bad. culkin's pout seems to work in stressing's alig's 'look at me' attitude but his acting is simply HORRIBLE. if you could bottle up the essence of scratching all ten fingernails against a blackboard, his acting is it. seth green, however, was literally the show. the editing and directing pace seemed really off too but i did like the music.

a dvd rental imho altho visions is a cool theater to see it in. buster shoulda brought some decks and started spinning while in line lol.

Originally posted by kken

i think the book provides more insight into the background of the club kid era but i suspect since it is from james st. james' point of view, the documentary about the whole michael alig/club kid thing is bit more indepth and impartial.

The book is also more graphic than the movie. I should be getting the actual documentary soon, its first in my netflix list.

While I agree that Culkin was bad, I don't think he was horrible. I don't know if any of you have ever seen interviews with Alig but the over acting/over dramatizing by Culkin is more or so on point but he's not going to win an Oscar.

Seth Green made the movie for me. I saw an interview with James St. James & Seth Green and he played him really well.... 'cept for the fact that St. James is really really tall and Green is a munchkin :) Apparently some of the costumes Seth Green wore were St. James'... they had to be altered drastically!

Originally posted by silvershoes

Thats exactly when i was there. right during my high school years. its where i first used my fake id. ;)

you needed an ID for limelight? i think i was pissed off that i had one and never had to use it. i was always amazed that i could walk up to the bar and order tequilla shots (i was like 16)

serving minors alcohol was the least of their concerns...i saw some CRAZY shit going on in those back rooms upstairs.

silvershoes - where did you goto high school?