Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Church sign: 'Islam – America's No. 1 enemy'

Church sign: 'Islam – America's No. 1 enemy'

Baptist preacher defends placard some call message of hate

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted: September 9, 2003

1:00 a.m. Eastern

© 2003 WorldNetDaily.com

A Indiana Baptist pastor has been accused of spewing "hate speech" after he posted the following message on his church's marquee: "Sunday sermon 10:30 a.m. 'Islam: America's No. 1 Enemy.'"

Marc Monte has been pastor of Faith Baptist Church in Avon, Ind., for five years, according to a report in the Indianapolis Star. He says his sermon would include important information the pubic is not getting from the media.

"I want to stir interest, not alarm, but Islam is a false religion, dangerous and hate-promoting," Monte told the paper.

"If I were a pastor who read KKK literature or Hitler's 'Mein Kampf,' I would hope the members of my church would head to other churches. It is awful stuff. I repudiate it, and I put Islam in the same camp."

Not everyone feels placing such a message on a church marquee is appropriate, however.

"To call Islam an 'enemy' seems to be a message of hate," Susan Jones, who passes the sign twice a day, told the Star.

Sayyid M. Syeed, director of a nearby Islamic Center of North America, said such views were inflammatory and dangerous to society.

"Whether it is a pastor in Avon or Osama bin Laden, it is religion spoken with the same language – to incite others and provoke violence. It is the same treatment of religion; extremists think a lot alike," Syeed told the paper.

Monte says he met with Syeed shortly after the Sept. 11 attacks and afterward decided to study the Quran to learn more about Islam.

"I met with Syeed, and it got me very curious. In this personal conversation, there were things that struck me as odd," he is quoted by the Star as saying. "I opened the Quran and smelled a stinking, bloated, dead rat on every page."

Monte told the paper he has had only one call about the marquee. His church normally draws about 350 people to Sunday service, the report said.

Shortly after 9-11, both the Rev. Jerry Falwell and Christian evangelist Franklin Graham took heat in the media for articulating their opinions about Islam.

Graham called Islam a "very evil and wicked religion" in an interview about his latest book. In "The Name," he wrote, "Islam – unlike Christianity – has among its basic teachings a deep intolerance for those who follow other faiths."

In an interview with Beliefnet, he said, "I believe the Quran teaches violence, not peace," and, in an indirect criticism of President Bush, he said that after the Sept. 11 attacks "there was this hoo-rah around Islam being a peaceful religion – but then you start having suicide bombers, and people start saying, 'Wait a minute, something doesn't add up here.'"

Graham explained to Beliefnet last spring that "when people ask, I let them know I don't believe in their God. But I respect their right to believe whatever they want to believe."

© 2003 WorldNetDaily.com, Inc.

Bullshit! Thats hate speech, however you look at it. Especially in hick territory like that, you're gonna have drunk rednecks driving around "Muslim-hunting". And to make matters even worse, some of these dumb-asses are probably going to group all brown-skinned and turban wearing people as "Muslims".

Originally posted by raver_mania

Bullshit! Thats hate speech, however you look at it. Especially in hick territory like that, you're gonna have drunk rednecks driving around "Muslim-hunting". And to make matters even worse, some of these dumb-asses are probably going to group all brown-skinned and turban wearing people as "Muslims".

I wish Muslims and Arab Governments and Islamic clerics would act with the same passion and conviction as you towards their own mosques, institutions, and religious leaders that preach the same hate and call to violence and the death of America and Israel

Islam is a peaceful religion. It has inflammatory verses in the Quran just like Christianity has in the bible.

The difference is, the overriding theme in Christianity is "love thy neighbor as thyself", which Islam doesn't have. It's more like "love thy neighbor... if he's muslim."

and then you have the uneducated third world idiots living out in the desert who are stupid enough to believe anybody's interpretation of the holy verse. LIke say, a mullah with an agenda.

You now have a powder keg of hatred building.

the fuse is US foreign policy.

Originally posted by igloo

I wish Muslims and Arab Governments and Islamic clerics would act with the same passion and conviction as you towards their own mosques, institutions, and religious leaders that preach the same hate and call to violence and the death of America and Israel

We are not Saudi Arabia nor any other Arab government, we are America. We should and do hold ourselves to a higher level than these countries. To stoop to their level and justifying it by the actions of others is wrong.

Originally posted by seximofo2k

We are not Saudi Arabia nor any other Arab government, we are America. We should and do hold ourselves to a higher level than these countries. To stoop to their level and justifying it by the actions of others is wrong.

What the fuck are you talking about?....PLease tell me you were able to comprehend my statement.....please ....because your statement above demonstrates differently

Who the fuck is talking about "stooping to their levels"....what the fuck are you talking about?

No shit we are not Saudi Arabia...No shit we are America....No shit we hold ourselves to a higher standard.....what is your point?

My point was simple--and I will restate in simpler terms....Too bad the Islamic community and theri top levels do not react to their bad elements with the same condemnation as Raver did ...

Got it?

Originally posted by igloo

What the fuck are you talking about?....PLease tell me you were able to comprehend my statement.....please ....because your statement above demonstrates differently

Who the fuck is talking about "stooping to their levels"....what the fuck are you talking about?

No shit we are not Saudi Arabia...No shit we are America....No shit we hold ourselves to a higher standard.....what is your point?

My point was simple--and I will restate in simpler terms....Too bad the Islamic community and theri top levels do not react to their bad elements with the same condemnation as Raver did ...

Got it?

Do you get off cursing at and trying to bash people over a message board? I interpreted what you said the wrong way you really need to calm yourself.

Originally posted by bigpoppanils

Marc Monte has been pastor of Faith Baptist Church in Avon, Ind., for five years, according to a report in the Indianapolis Star. He says his sermon would include important information the pubic is not getting from the media.