charging as of november 4th, which means half or

more

of the people on friendster will no longer be on

friendster. So for all you people who are going

to have serious friendster withdrawal, someone

created this new site which is almost identical

to friendster and actually better and FREE. It

is called MYSPACE.COM. I guess friendster

is already losing alot of people to this web site.

Do not reply to this post, copy it and repost.

get the word out.

Originally posted by MadamMillie

charging as of november 4th, which means half or

more

of the people on friendster will no longer be on

friendster. So for all you people who are going

to have serious friendster withdrawal, someone

created this new site which is almost identical

to friendster and actually better and FREE. It

is called MYSPACE.COM. I guess friendster

is already losing alot of people to this web site.

Do not reply to this post, copy it and repost.

get the word out.

The problem with this is the network effect. Not enough people will go over to this new service to make it relevant. Friendster works because everyone is on it. I expect the highly motivated to pay for the service, but most people will not. Without the rest of the people using the service it will become irrelevant and will die on it's own.

(It's the same reason why the barrier to entry for a new eBay is so high. In order to sell something you have to go where the buyers are. In order to buy something you have to go where the sellers are. eBay is basically it's own economy, but that's a conversation for another time.)

Originally posted by teriaki

The problem with this is the network effect. Not enough people will go over to this new service to make it relevant. Friendster works because everyone is on it. I expect the highly motivated to pay for the service, but most people will not. Without the rest of the people using the service it will become irrelevant and will die on it's own.

(It's the same reason why the barrier to entry for a new eBay is so high. In order to sell something you have to go where the buyers are. In order to buy something you have to go where the sellers are. eBay is basically it's own economy, but that's a conversation for another time.)

blah blah blah

Originally posted by revaluation

I always thought that friendster was just another way for the gov to collect information on all of us.

Now if they can only get a friendster that attracted islamic fundamentalist on clandestine missions to destroy the U.S. then they'd have something. :)

EDIT: www.ringo.com is another good one.

something I found about Friendster charging....from http://www.onlinecommunityreport.com/features/abrams

-YG aka les.ba.nAnnie aka Annie.biotics ....etc etc

:tongue:

-------------

Interview with Jonathan Abrams, Friendster

by Jim Cashel

September 2003

Jonathan Abrams is founder of Friendster, the fast-growing social networking Web site.

Tell me about Friendster -- age, metrics, growth?

Our beta has been up since March 2003. We have over 1.5 million users, and have experienced exponential growth.

Why do you think Friendster has succeeded when other relatively similar initiatives haven't?

I'm not really familiar with anything that has been very similar to Friendster in execution. We've created a service that is fun, simple, and appealing to a mass-market audience.

How do you make money?

We will require small monthly subscriptions for some features, while keeping basic membership free. Specifically, it will be free to sign up, post your profile & photo, search & browser other people's profiles, photos, friends, testimonials and free to communicate with your friends via Friendster, but if you want to contact someone you don't know when we move out of beta that will require a small monthly subscription [/i}, less than one third of Match.com's subscription fee.

Friendster is effective if you attract your friends to the Network, but not if they go elsewhere. In that sense it's a bit like IM. What are you views on interoperability of social network services like Friendster?

I'm not aware of any other social network that has significant size, and interoperability is not something that our users have requested. It's only come up from proponents of open-source standards like FOAF, which do not seem to address consumer needs.

Which sites or services inspire you?

Friendster was inspired by "real-life" behavior, not a web site, but I'm a big fan of other web sites like Craigslist, HotOrNot.com, and Ryze.

What will social networks look like -- or let's say be capable of -- in three years?

I'm really not sure.