Clubplanet Nightlife Community

RIAA Targets Mixed CD's

http://www.boycott-riaa.com/

http://www.clubplanet.com/content/popup/cover374.asp

Everyone talks about online pirating, but what about the more physical kind? Sure, we all know about the sleazy street corner guys with shopping carts full of CDRs with color photocopied covers -– but did you know that DJ mix CDs are also a target for legal action?

Almost every DJ, from giant brand name jocks to street-corner wannabe superstars, puts out their own mix CDs. Unlike those that go through legitimate record labels, these mixes are usually unlicensed and technically illegal to sell or even give away.

But the practice is tacitly approved of by major stars, particularly from the hip-hop arena, who often hope to place new tracks on a popular street mix to gain credibility and “buzz.â€

According to a recent Village Voice report, the RIAA has taken to the streets to serve legal papers to independent record stores that stock CDR mix albums.

The record labels want the independent record stores out of the business," the owner of Berry's Music in Indianapolis, Indiana told the Village Voice. "They'd rather deal with Target, Best Buy, Circuit City—it's consolidation, just like any other industry. The RIAA knows that mixes are an integral part of urban stores' culture and profit margin. By eliminating them, they can eliminate a lot of indie stores."

This was after police and RIAA lawyers confiscated $10,000 worth of mix CDs from the store.

Coincidentally, recording media giant Memorex has just announced plans increase street prices on CD-R and CD-RW media. The increases, ranging from 10 to 15 percent, should go into effect by January.

Manufacturers of blank CD and DVD media have come under fire for years for providing cheap materials for illegal CD and movie copying. But Memorex claims a different reason, at least publicly, for their price increases.

"Due to our prime disc manufacturers' focus towards DVD discs and a lack of investment in new CD-R and CD-RW production facilities, production capacities can no longer meet consumer demand for CD media, and this trend is expected to continue into next year," Memorex CEO Michael Golacinski said in a statement. "We have no alternative but to pass on the increase in cost to our retailers now in order to maintain our commitment to deliver high quality blank media that both our consumers and retailers have learned to trust and depend upon."

Originally posted by djdannyrockz

http://www.boycott-riaa.com/

http://www.clubplanet.com/content/popup/cover374.asp

Everyone talks about online pirating, but what about the more physical kind? Sure, we all know about the sleazy street corner guys with shopping carts full of CDRs with color photocopied covers -– but did you know that DJ mix CDs are also a target for legal action?

Almost every DJ, from giant brand name jocks to street-corner wannabe superstars, puts out their own mix CDs. Unlike those that go through legitimate record labels, these mixes are usually unlicensed and technically illegal to sell or even give away.

But the practice is tacitly approved of by major stars, particularly from the hip-hop arena, who often hope to place new tracks on a popular street mix to gain credibility and “buzz.â€

According to a recent Village Voice report, the RIAA has taken to the streets to serve legal papers to independent record stores that stock CDR mix albums.

The record labels want the independent record stores out of the business," the owner of Berry's Music in Indianapolis, Indiana told the Village Voice. "They'd rather deal with Target, Best Buy, Circuit City—it's consolidation, just like any other industry. The RIAA knows that mixes are an integral part of urban stores' culture and profit margin. By eliminating them, they can eliminate a lot of indie stores."

This was after police and RIAA lawyers confiscated $10,000 worth of mix CDs from the store.

Coincidentally, recording media giant Memorex has just announced plans increase street prices on CD-R and CD-RW media. The increases, ranging from 10 to 15 percent, should go into effect by January.

Manufacturers of blank CD and DVD media have come under fire for years for providing cheap materials for illegal CD and movie copying. But Memorex claims a different reason, at least publicly, for their price increases.

"Due to our prime disc manufacturers' focus towards DVD discs and a lack of investment in new CD-R and CD-RW production facilities, production capacities can no longer meet consumer demand for CD media, and this trend is expected to continue into next year," Memorex CEO Michael Golacinski said in a statement. "We have no alternative but to pass on the increase in cost to our retailers now in order to maintain our commitment to deliver high quality blank media that both our consumers and retailers have learned to trust and depend upon."

totally fuckin rediculous. I don't even want to get into this but... retarded to say the least.

Originally posted by ianjohn

Hate to say, it is illegal. When I was on radio, after a certain point I couldnt even give out promo CDs becuase of copyright violations.

So if you wanna distribute your CDs, keep it on the DL, and deal in cash.

I can totally understand the issues with respect to making money off of distributing copyrighted materials but I cannot see why it would be illegal to create and distribute mixes for promotional use when any responsible dj has already shelled out the money to purchase the music in the various media formats.

For the record, I'm not saying that djs should sell their mix cd's but to hand them out as promotional items. I see nothing wrong with that.

At Metro Mix we have to pay various licensing fees simply to publically broadcast copyrighted music. We also have to pay additional fees based on revenue. I can totally understand that.

the groups, like metalica, wants everyone that has their music, to buy it. They dont want to have any freebees. Yes, like I said, I couldnt even give out mixed CDs FOR FREE!!!

Shit, I say we ban all tape dubbers, all CD Recoders/ burners, and all computer that can store any kind of music file. (im being sarcastic here)

Originally posted by ianjohn

the groups, like metalica, wants everyone that has their music, to buy it. They dont want to have any freebees. Yes, like I said, I couldnt even give out mixed CDs FOR FREE!!!

Shit, I say we ban all tape dubbers, all CD Recoders/ burners, and all computer that can store any kind of music file. (im being sarcastic here)

I'm definately picking up on your sarcasm. :D

Originally posted by lawrencemnyc

they r going after poeple who SELL their mix cds

if your gona give out ur cd dont worry they arent gona come after you

plus, whats wrong with artists wanting to make money off THEIR own music?

who are you asking?

they took microsoft to court for being a monopoly...when are the labels going to be brought there....they already price fix...not like thats obvious or anything...how can they say handing out a promo is illegal...or selling something "you" made is illegal...why because they arent getting a cut...then they aren't any different than the mafia....and if the government lets it go on...they are just part of the crime family.....

:hat:

First off FUCK THEM!!

now, i understand what they are trying to target. Think of it if a DJ makes a mix cd or whatever. most of the time he didnt make it, he just mixed it. ITs the actual tracks that are getting distibuted for *free*(fuckers,so what). But i am assuming if its your own productions and so forth it wont be a problem. Thats my 2 cents

I say people should gather up and just not BUY ANY LICENSED MUSIC!

I know it sounds fucked up and we have to think of the artist but let's get the RIAA to calm down with the gestapo tactics first. We don't buy any music from any of the large retailers, AT ALL. Let them lose a lot of money and then they won't bother nobody.

:D This will NEVER happen.

as everyone already knows

the nightclub djs have already paid for the tracks they are using @ whatever spot they are in for the night-

but i still wonder if the labels will take it a step farther and jump on us too

saying things like

WHATEVER YOUR MAKING FOR THE NIGHT + REGULATED BY HOW MANY TRACKS YOU PLAY = OUR PERCENTAGE OF WHAT WOULD HAVE GONE INTO YOUR POCKET

feel me?