Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Article on Club SLEEP!!!

Sleep a real eye-opener in Woodbridge

Friday, November 07, 2003

BY LISA ROSE

Star-Ledger Staff

Don't go to Sleep seeking tranquillity.

The Woodbridge dance spot, which made its debut last month, is a frenzy of light and sound that's anything but mellow. Slumber is the theme, not the mood at the club. The cocktail waitresses strut in silky robes; the V.I.P. room has beds built for lounging; and there are twin aquariums where lingerie-clad models feign shuteye.

Jobfair Information

Sleep is brought to you by Robert Watman and Andrew Adelman, the folks behind retro club chain, Polly Esther's. The new venture represents a step away from timewarp kitsch for the partners, and also a hometown return for Adelman, a native of Avenel.

"I used to hit all the clubs up and down Route 35 and the Jersey Shore," said Adelman, who is now based in Northern California. "Coming back, it's pretty ironic, my friends are saying, 'Why couldn't you have done this years ago when we were all going out.'"

The club was born of a joke. Adelman and Watman were kicking around nightspot names with wordplay potential when they dreamed up the Sleep concept.

"In this business, you have to try to stay a step ahead of everybody," said Adelman. "The name Sleep is something you can constantly market. 'What you guys doing tonight? We're just going to Sleep.' 'Practice safe sex, go to Sleep.' 'Go to Sleep with your wife and all her friends and not get in trouble.' There are tons of things you can do with it."

Housed in a building that was formerly an Indian restaurant, Sleep has an expanse of dance floor, along with two bars and a VIP section, which is divided into "Suites," with bottle service, hors d'oeuvres and the aforementioned bedding (reservations and a two-bottle minimum are required). The style is South Beach-meets-concrete. Bar tops and the VIP floor glow in different hues while above are exposed air ducts and pipes. Coming soon is a second-level VIP area, dubbed "Sleepover."

During daylight hours, the club is a nutrition-oriented restaurant, the Lifestyle Grill, with a menu of Atkins Diet-friendly entrees, sandwiches and pasta. The tables are cleared after dark to transform the lunch spot into a high-concept destination.

Checking out the grand opening party last month was a sizable, if not capacity crowd of gold-chained Casanovas and mini-skirt brigades. Most Sleepers congregated at the bars, and socialized around clusters of sofas and tables, like mini living rooms at the far end of the dance floor.

"It's like New York, but usually in New York, you have a dance club or a lounge, but here, they're trying to do both. " said Mike Holobinko, 26, of Elizabeth. "I think most of the people are here because their friends told them there were girls sleeping in cases. I've seen some strange things, but that's pretty strange."

The aquarium displays got a few curious stares but mostly folks seemed intent on talking to friends rather than gazing at the tank girls. There are currently five professional nappers, who lie in the cases for 40-minute shifts, then dance on boxes. Garbed in gossamer nighties, they sprawl out on pillows and close their eyes, file their nails or sometimes read.

"It's entertainment," said Tracy Leipzig, 33, of Piscataway, one of the Sleep models. "It's like creating this dream-like wonderland."

Another tank girl, Kate Everhard, 29, of Woodbridge, draws a connection between the club's live exhibit and reality TV.

"People are interested in watching other people," said Everhard.

On Nov. 15, amateur snoozers will be able to spend time in the tank, as the club is hosting an open audition for Sleep models of both genders. They will also be scouting talent for a calendar featuring sexy, bedtime tableaus. Adelman acknowledged that there is an erotic element to the tanks, but it isn't a go-go show.

"I don't want people to think they're coming here for an orgy," said Adelman. "It's sexy but it's tasteful. I don't want girls walking around here in thongs."

Originally posted by badassmafuka

Sleep a real eye-opener in Woodbridge

Friday, November 07, 2003

BY LISA ROSE

Star-Ledger Staff

Don't go to Sleep seeking tranquillity.

The Woodbridge dance spot, which made its debut last month, is a frenzy of light and sound that's anything but mellow. Slumber is the theme, not the mood at the club. The cocktail waitresses strut in silky robes; the V.I.P. room has beds built for lounging; and there are twin aquariums where lingerie-clad models feign shuteye.

Jobfair Information

Sleep is brought to you by Robert Watman and Andrew Adelman, the folks behind retro club chain, Polly Esther's. The new venture represents a step away from timewarp kitsch for the partners, and also a hometown return for Adelman, a native of Avenel.

"I used to hit all the clubs up and down Route 35 and the Jersey Shore," said Adelman, who is now based in Northern California. "Coming back, it's pretty ironic, my friends are saying, 'Why couldn't you have done this years ago when we were all going out.'"

The club was born of a joke. Adelman and Watman were kicking around nightspot names with wordplay potential when they dreamed up the Sleep concept.

"In this business, you have to try to stay a step ahead of everybody," said Adelman. "The name Sleep is something you can constantly market. 'What you guys doing tonight? We're just going to Sleep.' 'Practice safe sex, go to Sleep.' 'Go to Sleep with your wife and all her friends and not get in trouble.' There are tons of things you can do with it."

Housed in a building that was formerly an Indian restaurant, Sleep has an expanse of dance floor, along with two bars and a VIP section, which is divided into "Suites," with bottle service, hors d'oeuvres and the aforementioned bedding (reservations and a two-bottle minimum are required). The style is South Beach-meets-concrete. Bar tops and the VIP floor glow in different hues while above are exposed air ducts and pipes. Coming soon is a second-level VIP area, dubbed "Sleepover."

During daylight hours, the club is a nutrition-oriented restaurant, the Lifestyle Grill, with a menu of Atkins Diet-friendly entrees, sandwiches and pasta. The tables are cleared after dark to transform the lunch spot into a high-concept destination.

Checking out the grand opening party last month was a sizable, if not capacity crowd of gold-chained Casanovas and mini-skirt brigades. Most Sleepers congregated at the bars, and socialized around clusters of sofas and tables, like mini living rooms at the far end of the dance floor.

"It's like New York, but usually in New York, you have a dance club or a lounge, but here, they're trying to do both. " said Mike Holobinko, 26, of Elizabeth. "I think most of the people are here because their friends told them there were girls sleeping in cases. I've seen some strange things, but that's pretty strange."

The aquarium displays got a few curious stares but mostly folks seemed intent on talking to friends rather than gazing at the tank girls. There are currently five professional nappers, who lie in the cases for 40-minute shifts, then dance on boxes. Garbed in gossamer nighties, they sprawl out on pillows and close their eyes, file their nails or sometimes read.

"It's entertainment," said Tracy Leipzig, 33, of Piscataway, one of the Sleep models. "It's like creating this dream-like wonderland."

Another tank girl, Kate Everhard, 29, of Woodbridge, draws a connection between the club's live exhibit and reality TV.

"People are interested in watching other people," said Everhard.

On Nov. 15, amateur snoozers will be able to spend time in the tank, as the club is hosting an open audition for Sleep models of both genders. They will also be scouting talent for a calendar featuring sexy, bedtime tableaus. Adelman acknowledged that there is an erotic element to the tanks, but it isn't a go-go show.

"I don't want people to think they're coming here for an orgy," said Adelman. "It's sexy but it's tasteful. I don't want girls walking around here in thongs."

Couldent give me props for seeing it first huh bro ? lol

http://bbs.clubplanet.com/showthread.php?threadid=192313