Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Baseball rookies of year

bxbomb

NL--- Dontrelle Willis Marlins

AL---- Berroa Royals

NOT happy with either , not an absolute joke though cuz no runaway winners, But I would have gone with Podsenik for the NL , cuz he was consistent all yr and put up some good numbers

.315 60rbi 100 runs 45 sb on a shitty brewer team whereas Dontrelle was all FLash and had a great 1st half and was less than ordinary the 2nd half , when the league had a book on him.

The AL....cmon as a Yankee fan , obviously i think Matsui should have gotten it ,the numbers are close, but dont punish him cuz the rules are screwed up regarding the definition of a rookie..

change the eligibilty and we wont have this problem Selig

I'm glad Angel won the AL rookie of the year.. I love Matsui and all but I don't think he deserves to be named a "rookie" of the year.. he's been playing baseball for years, and I know he was still in the running for it since technically it was his "rookie" year in the majors in the USA but still.. with guys like Berroa, who are more so "rookies" than people like Ichiro and Matsui, I think they deserve it more. Berroa was impressive.

Congrats to the winners. :)

Originally posted by Codica3

I'm glad Angel won the AL rookie of the year.. I love Matsui and all but I don't think he deserves to be named a "rookie" of the year.. he's been playing baseball for years, and I know he was still in the running for it since technically it was his "rookie" year in the majors in the USA but still.. with guys like Berroa, who are more so "rookies" than people like Ichiro and Matsui, I think they deserve it more. Berroa was impressive.

Congrats to the winners. :)

Yeah thats exactly the point dont penalize Hideki now , wait till the ruling is changed which it should be .

Matsui was a no show on 2 of the voters ballots because they felt the same way and thats what cost him the award.

Lets go back now and take away rookie of the year awards away from Hideo NOmo,Kaz sasaki, and most importantly Ichiro and give it to Soriano that year

I wish Baldelli won in the American, but am content with Berroa. Glad 35 year old Hideki didn't win ROTY :laugh:

In the NL, I think Dontrelle did deserve it. Coming in the way he did, dominating as a rookie, he should get props (and he WILL be good for a long time to come) ;)

Originally posted by gmccookny

I wish Baldelli won in the American, but am content with Berroa. Glad 35 year old Hideki didn't win ROTY :laugh:

In the NL, I think Dontrelle did deserve it. Coming in the way he did, dominating as a rookie, he should get props (and he WILL be good for a long time to come) ;)

Baldelli was another one that I think would have deserved it over Matsui..

Seriously, the guy doesn't need a rookie of the year.. it's kids like Berroa and Baldelli that deserve a title like that.

Totally agree Codica, but the rules are written a certain way and until their changed , sportswriters who are give the privilege to vote on this award shouldnt make up their own rules on what constitutes eligibilty.

The fact that these 2 writers completely left Hideki off the ballot cost him the award.

Originally posted by bxbomb

Totally agree Codica, but the rules are written a certain way and until their changed , sportswriters who are give the privilege to vote on this award shouldnt make up their own rules on what constitutes eligibilty.

The fact that these 2 writers completely left Hideki off the ballot cost him the award.

Yeah I know, I've heard the debate all of the second half of the season..

The rules should be changed, but it's hard to do so because what really constitutes a "rookie" in MLB.. guys like Matsui and Ichiro have been playing professional baseball for years over in Japan yet it's their first year here, do they deserve rookie status? Or the players that come from the islands like Cuba where they play professional baseball down there, do they deserve rookie status? You can't do it based upon age because there could be someone that finally makes it up to the major league by the time they his mid-thirties or so.. they shouldn't necessarily be deprived of rookie either if it's their first year in the big leagues..

It's a bit of a complicated situation.. but like I said, I'm glad Berroa won. The kid's got a lotta heart, and I know this award probally means a lot more to a young kid who plays his heart out to get where he is as opposed to someone like Matsui who would probally rather have something like a gold glove as opposed to something like rookie of the year.. or at least I would hope so..

D-train deserved it... all though the 2nd half of the year wasn't that great....

Matsui is like 50 - i don't think he's a rookie:laugh:

However, he's a rookie over here, so he probably should have won.

But i really don't care either way.

Congrats to all - especially McKeon for winning coach of the Year!!

:D

Agree Codica Im sure it means mmore to Berroa, as to Hideki who already won MVPs in Japan.

The funy thing bout the whole shit is that the award name was changed to The Jackie Robinson award,

and Jackie Robinson spent quite a few years in the Negro leagues before gettin into the Majors.

Originally posted by bxbomb

Agree Codica Im sure it means mmore to Berroa, as to Hideki who already won MVPs in Japan.

The funy thing bout the whole shit is that the award name was changed to The Jackie Robinson award,

and Jackie Robinson spent quite a few years in the Negro leagues before gettin into the Majors.

Yup.. that was another concern many people had.. you can't very well go and take away honors for past winners..

It's all sortsa messed up, but that's just how it is.