Clubplanet Nightlife Community

What is house music??

i'm posing this question out of curiosity more than anything, what exactly is house music?? i'll be the first to admit, i don't know and i don't care about house music; it's just a term i see used very loosely on this board, and i get the feeling people have diff interpretations on what it is?? secondly, what dj out there spins house music. if we agree that house music is something diff to us, then who spins what we consider to be "house"?? does eddie baez spin house?? does armand van helden spin house?? danny tenaglia?? charles feelgood?? derrick carter?? marques wyatt?? roger sanchez?? boris?? rob james?? paul van dyk?? jonathan peters?? so who spins house music, and who doesn't, and if who, for whatever reason doesn't spin house, then what do they spin??

:D

saying what people spin isnt a good indicator, because you play different genres at any moment. Someone oculd play 2 different styles on 2 different nights.

What is house? Well it's not techno, or trance, so whatever you got left thats house.

4/4 with an a less synthtic feel than techno is what i would call it.

House Music Definition

House Music: The original electronic incarnation from disco. House typically runs around 120 beats per minute (BPM) and uses a 4/4 time sequence and an eight bar repeating cycle. The beat is maintained by a heavy kick drum that alternates in a 1-3 pattern with a high hat accent. Like its disco roots, house often features vocal choruses, real instrumentation, and a more traditional song structure.

Originally posted by voelke44

House Music Definition

House Music: The original electronic incarnation from disco. House typically runs around 120 beats per minute (BPM) and uses a 4/4 time sequence and an eight bar repeating cycle. The beat is maintained by a heavy kick drum that alternates in a 1-3 pattern with a high hat accent. Like its disco roots, house often features vocal choruses, real instrumentation, and a more traditional song structure.

AMEN

Well if you dont know by now i dont know what to tell ya. Go to SHELTER (DJ TIMMY REGISFORD) on SATnight SUN afternoon for a lesson on the simpilest form of HOUSE MUSIC. Then from my own experiences with djs that play all types of house music (certain onces do mix it up a bit though) and are great, in no particular order: FRANCIOS K, DANNY TENAGLIA, ERICK MORILLO, VICTOR CALDERONE, TED PATTERSON, FRANK REMPE, THE SHIGULATORS, RICK CORBO, SPOONY D, ROGER SANCHEZ, LIL LOUIE VEGA, KENNY DOPE GONZALEZ, TODD TERRY, MERRIT, TONY HUMPHRIES, DAVID MORALES, DISCIPLE, STEVE PYSCH, FRANKIE KNUCKLES, ANTRANIG, VIBE, DEEP DISH, PETER RAUHEFER JUNIOR VASQUEZ, SATOSHI TOMIIE,I cant remember his name now but the asian guy from EIGHTBALL RECORDS Katz i think hes also good.

The list goes on all are fine djs with some being greater than others of course. But hearing all these djs live has never been a dissapointing night for me. They just dont play MINDLESS STUPID HARD BEATS WITH NO SOUL OR MEANING. Theres so many more djs out there that i havent heard live yet but are great. I guess t all depends on what flavor of house you prefer.

Voelke - you are Correct! Very good answer.

Silverbull - you pulled out the heavies with that answer. Yes, my favs. are Lil Louie Vega, Roger Sanchez, Ted Patterson, David Morales, Frankie Knuckles, Jellybean, Victor Calderone, Rick Corbo, Merritt.... and David Cole - Larry Levan (RIP)....

PEACE

Voelke's right, as is silverbull.

House is 4 on the floor electronic dance music than, in some of it forms, contains more organic intrumentation than typically heard in trance (which is generally faster) or techno (which is, generally again, a more industrial based music that derives its strength from repeated rhythms).

But of course there is house, tech house, techno house, funky house, disco house, deep house, soulful house blahdiddy fuckin' blah.

There's also many tracks which some would call progressive house, others deep trance, some that could be tech house or minimal techno. There is no real definition other than that it is 4X4 EDM invented (more or less) by brothers from Chicago (Marshall Jefferson, Frankie Knuckels, Jesse Saunders) while folks in NYC (Lerry Levan and others) were developing a similar music which came to be called garage. Both of these are (like it or not) outgrowths of disco incoporating more synthesized, modern recording technology.

Originally posted by FlipsSOE

i'm posing this question out of curiosity more than anything, what exactly is house music?? i'll be the first to admit, i don't know and i don't care about house music; it's just a term i see used very loosely on this board, and i get the feeling people have diff interpretations on what it is?? secondly, what dj out there spins house music. if we agree that house music is something diff to us, then who spins what we consider to be "house"?? does eddie baez spin house?? does armand van helden spin house?? danny tenaglia?? charles feelgood?? derrick carter?? marques wyatt?? roger sanchez?? boris?? rob james?? paul van dyk?? jonathan peters?? so who spins house music, and who doesn't, and if who, for whatever reason doesn't spin house, then what do they spin??

:D

dj shooturself is the best house dj

Originally posted by silverbull

Direct descedent of disco. Check out

DAN HARTMANS " RELIGHT MY FIRE"

OOOh - I remember that one.

"Your love is my only desire" RELIGHT MY FIRE.... Well, well....

Wow, Silverbull - your vast knowledge makes me proud.... I've done a good job. I've heard you inquired about those production tools.... :tongue:

Not everybody understands house music. Its a spirtual thing. A Soul Thing. A body thing.

In the begging there was Jack, and Jack had a groove, and from this groove came the groove of all groves, and while 1 day this was going down at his house, jack simply proclaimed, let there be house! and house music was born. I am you see, I am the creator, and this is my house, and in my house there is only house music. But I am not so selfish, because once you enter my house, it then becomes our house, and our house music! And you see, no one may impose out, because house music is a universal language spoken and understood by all. You see house is a feeling, and no one can understand the feeling unless you creep inside the barriers of house. House is an uncontrollable desire to jack your body, and as I told you before. This is our house, and our house music, and every househead can understand there is keeper, and in this house the keeper is Jack. Now some of you might wonder. Who is Jack? And what is it that Jack does? Jack is the one who gives you the power to jack your body. Jack is the one who gives you the power to do the snake. Jack is the one who gives you the key to the wiggly worm. Jack is the one who learnd ya how to rock your body. Jack is the one who can bring nations and nations of all Jacks together under one house. You may be black. You may be white, You may be Jew or Gentile, it dont make a difference in our house. And this is fresh!!!

What is house music? Its a unique form of music that gives complete freedom of expression. It's not with a continual form of just something that you do continually. But its just something that it's real simple and it just feels with anybody can understand, but my definition of house music. Is what comes from the soul and they might call it house because its not a serious production or has to be planned its how you feel. When you wanna say something you just say it. Like if you wanna say. FREEDOM!!! I do believe in freedom. Freedom. Yea! Something like that.

Music is the answear to your problems.