Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Bush's Thanksgiving lies - Pilot sighting and fake turkey

As White House Changes Story, British Airways Refutes Bush Story of Pilot Sighting

In his trip to Baghdad, President Bush said he would have immediately turned around had his cover been blown. In trying to play up the secrecy and dangerous nature of the trip, Bush's aides said that a British Airways pilot spotted the president's plane, radioing, "Did I just see Air Force One?" The White House said Air Force One responded: "Gulfstream 5" - a code word to disguise the plane - and the British Airways pilot "seemed to sense he was in on a secret and replied 'Oh.'"1

But now it appears the story was a complete fabrication, designed only to hype the story. According to Reuters, "British Airways said yesterday that none of its pilots made contact with President Bush's plane during its secret flight to Baghdad on Thanksgiving, contradicting White House reports of a midair exchange that nearly prompted Bush to call off his trip."2

Making things worse, the White House revised its story after revelations of the distortion. The White House now says "it had left the wrong impression" and that actually the conversation took place between Air Force One and the airport tower in London.3 But again, British Airways refuted this tale, with a spokesman for the company telling media "that none of its pilots has come forward to acknowledge either making or overhearing the purported conversation."4

Sources:

"Bush steals away to Baghdad in a surprise visit to American soldiers", International Herald Tribune, 11/28/2003.

"Pilots Didn't Radio Air Force One, Airline Says", Reuters, 12/02/2003.

"Bush Aide Clarifies Air Force One Sighting", Washington Post, 12/03/2003.

"Changing a Story on the Fly", Newsday, 12/03/2003.

More Photographic Dishonesty from President Bush

In the most famous picture from his trip to Baghdad, President Bush had himself artfully photographed to look like he was serving turkey to the troops.1 The image was emblazoned on front pages throughout the country - and now appears to be an entirely false depiction.

According to the Washington Post, Bush was actually holding "a decoration, not a serving plate."2 In other words, he was holding a prop, not real food, and thus only pretending for the cameras to be serving up the holiday meal.

The Post notes that "the foray has opened new credibility questions for a White House that has dealt with issues" like this in the past. In fact, the flap marks the second such distortion in as many days about his trip to Baghdad. Just yesterday it was revealed that the White House's tall tale of Air Force One crossing paths with a British Airways plane was entirely false.3

The deceptive picture also harkens back to the controversy surrounding the President's "Mission Accomplished" banner4. On May 1, he stood on the deck of the U.S.S. Lincoln in front of the giant sign and declared that "major combat operations have ended."5 Since that time, more troops have been killed or wounded than before he made that statement, prompting more questions about his photo-op.6

When asked why he chose to stand in front of the "Mission Accomplished" banner at a press conference six months later, Bush "disavowed the background banner," saying the White House staff had nothing to do with producing it.7 But then Navy and administration officials admitted the President had been dishonest, saying that "the White House actually made it."8 White House spokesman Scott McClellan specifically said, "We took care of the production of it. We have people to do those things."

Of course, Bush's penchant for taking misleading and dishonest photos has not been confined to Iraq. In July of 2002, the President visited a low-income housing development in Atlanta to tout his commitment to funding it. He then proposed a budget that eliminated its funding9,10. Similarly, the President visited a Boys and Girls Club in January of 2003 to tout the organization's efforts.11 He said the club "has got a grand history of helping children." Just four days after his photo-op, he proposed to cut 15% out of funding for the Boys and Girls Club12.

Sources:

CBSNews.com, 11/27/2003.

"The Bird Was Perfect But Not For Dinner", Washington Post, 12/04/2003.

"Pilots Didn't Radio Air Force One, Airline Says", Washington Post, 12/02/2003.

CBSNews.com, 10/29/2003.

"President Bush Announces Major Combat Operations in Iraq Have Ended", WhiteHouse.Gov, 05/01/2003.

"Postwar Deaths of U.S. Troops in Iraq Exceeds Combat Toll", New York Time, 08/26/2003.

"Bush disavows background banner in May speech", USA Today, 10/28/2003.

"White House pressed on 'mission accomplished' sign", CNN, 10/29/2003.

President Calls for Expanding Opportunities to Home Ownership, 06/17/2003.

Atlanta Journal Constitution, 2/5/2003.

President Commemorates 1st Anniversary of Freedom Corps, 01/30/2003.

CNN Crossfire, 1/30/03.

Originally posted by cintron

do i give a fuck about hype around the thanksgiving day visit?

crazy armed motherfuckers are putting bullets in our soldiers every day and you'd rather be angry at the CINC for visiting his soldiers on a holiday?

pssh.

Especially when it just a publicity stunt, a photo op and all for propaganda... yes.

Bush is as fake as the turkey on that platter.

Too bad his way of distracting the fact he does not support our troops is not gonna fly.

And to whoever said Gore isn't gonna run "hippies"

This "hippie" is going to vote for Kucinich.

Don't like it...

Kill me :)

Don't you just hate it when the truth punches out your lights?

do i give a fuck about hype around the thanksgiving day visit?

crazy armed motherfuckers are putting bullets in our soldiers every day and you'd rather be angry at the CINC for visiting his soldiers on a holiday?

pssh.

i mean ... how can he be taken seriously when he's just doing it for a photo op? ... in my opinion thats more of an insult to the troops than being supportive

just because someone happens to be there with a camera doesn't automatically make something into a publicity stunt.

holy crap people. if we applied that rule to your lives, you'd all be a bunch of worthless shits that only cared about their self image.

the important factor to consider is that he was THERE. He was PRESENT. He didnt need to hug every soldier there and ask what they wanted for Xmas. Simply being the commander in chief and choosing to visit a high-risk zone on a holiday when the troops are being lonely is ENOUGH to raise their spirits and THAT was the point.

bitch at him all you want. My cousin's a first lieutenant flying hornets and he remarked that even he felt good knowing that he has a commander who is willing to spend some time with the troops, even on a holiday halfway around the world.

did you ever stop to think that just maybe that was the whole point of everything?

just because someone happens to be there with a camera doesn't automatically make something into a publicity stunt.

holy crap people. if we applied that rule to your lives, you'd all be a bunch of worthless shits that only cared about their self image.

the important factor to consider is that he was THERE. He was PRESENT. He didnt need to hug every soldier there and ask what they wanted for Xmas. Simply being the commander in chief and choosing to visit a high-risk zone on a holiday when the troops are being lonely is ENOUGH to raise their spirits and THAT was the point.

bitch at him all you want. My cousin's a first lieutenant flying hornets and he remarked that even he felt good knowing that he has a commander who is willing to spend some time with the troops, even on a holiday halfway around the world.

did you ever stop to think that just maybe that was the whole point of everything?

I have family and friends in the military...and they loved it....and at the end of the day, that is all that matters...

If the social misfits, conspiracy theorists, and Bush haters want to turn this into a negative, so be it.....it only confirms how detached from reality they are, and is some cases, just plain fucking assholes...

When the President is carrying a platter with a plastic turkey it is. He's a poseur.

Holy crap Cintron. President Bush is a worthless shit who only cares about his own self-image.

The fact is he used the trip to distract the people from the fact that he does not support the troops which was already proven before. Cutting combat pay, veterans benifits and hiding the bodies is not a good way to support them.

Man, is he ever duped by the idiot son of an asshole from Texas. I honor his services and I support your cousin and hope he comes home alive but he should realize what he is truely fighting for and it's all for the wrong reasons and as long as there is free speech in this country, yeah, I will bitch about Bush.

Yeah, the point is it was nothing more than a propaganda show for a photo op and a publicity stunt. Nothing more.

Originally posted by igloo

If the social misfits, conspiracy theorists, and Bush haters want to turn this into a negative, so be it.....it only confirms how detached from reality they are, and is some cases, just plain fucking assholes...

From the ass of Adolph Hitler comes the voice of Igloo....

If I want to hear from an asshole, I'd fart. TROLL.

And ditto what xpyrate said.