Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Rumors

pk1

I hate rumors more than the next person, but this one would just be bad for Yankee fans or great for Red Sox Fans.

ESPN.com news services

Curt Schilling's now in Boston. Will Alex Rodriguez join him?

According to a Thursday report on DallasNews.com, the Texas Rangers would consider trading A-Rod to the Boston Red Sox -- for the right considerations, of course.

Sources told The Dallas Morning News that the Rangers would entertain dealing the $252 million man and 2003 American League MVP to Boston in exchange for outfielder Manny Ramirez.

The catch, according to the report, is that the Red Sox would have to absorb A-Rod's contract, which has seven years and about $180 million left on it; and, the Sox would have to pay part of Ramirez's $20 million-per-season tag. The slugger has four years left on his contract.

"My position on all trades is that I'm not going to comment one way or another," Rangers GM John Hart told the paper.

A major league source told the Morning News that A-Rod would like to join the Red Sox. Another source close to the star shortstop indicated he wants to leave Texas.

The Morning News report said a couple of factors must come into play to complete the trade. Those factors include:

The Rangers saving at least $10 million per year. Half of that savings would come from swapping A-Rod with Ramirez straight up. The rest would need to come from the Red Sox paying part of Ramirez's salary. In essence, the Red Sox would be paying A-Rod an average of $25 million to $30 million for each of the next five years.

The Red Sox would have to deal with the Nomar Garciaparra issue, perhaps dealing him to either Anaheim or Los Angeles.