Clubplanet Nightlife Community
Sign in to follow this  
bodi

Supposed effects of E and cocaine on DNA??

Originally posted by elitesnautica

Humans germ line is set very early in life. While, the drug could have some effect on DNA, I do not see how it could have any effect on gametes.

Nautica

you are confused

Originally posted by elitesnautica

Humans germ line is set very early in life. While, the drug could have some effect on DNA, I do not see how it could have any effect on gametes.

Nautica

Dont know anything about what your talking about ... or biogenetics... but I do agree with the theory that gentetic mutations are conditions that develop early in the life cycle and conditions or diseases are only triggered by lifestyles.....for example its commons knowledge that cigarette smoking can cause lung cancer.... some people get it .... others smoke 4 packs a day and live to 90...i thiinkits all predertermined by genetics at an early age

Originally posted by bumpdaddy

Dont know anything about what your talking about ... or biogenetics... but I do agree with the theory that gentetic mutations are conditions that develop early in the life cycle and conditions or diseases are only triggered by lifestyles.....for example its commons knowledge that cigarette smoking can cause lung cancer.... some people get it .... others smoke 4 packs a day and live to 90...i thiinkits all predertermined by genetics at an early age

holds true to what iv learned

oh man...there is so much misinformation out there on the subject....or maybe it is the fact that just about everyday you can read or hear on TV some sort of half-true about genetics.

Anyhow:

Oocytes (female gametes) initiate their meiosis before the girl is even born however the completion occurs later into the puberty. Male gametes (spermatozoa, sperm) develop during puberty and on.

Mutations may occur at any point in time – DNA, though a stable molecule, has certain weaknesses and will undergo changes which will manifest themselves as some sort of mutation (deletion, mismatch, frame shift, etc…) The material doesn’t need to be replicated in order to be damaged.

Genetics and environment have their own ways of inducing mutations, damages and sicknesses. As a matter of fact, the role of genetics in induction of certain diseases or mutation is way over-blown.

Immune system, and not genetics plays very important role and it is the immune system that accounts for the “weirdness†bumpdaddy mentioned (smokers and cancer). Genetics have some role but at 30% “blame†rate – don’t make a bet on genes alone.

This subject is quite complex and I could go on for pages – unless you have specific questions – please trust me when I say that so far all the posts have significant level of misinformation.

As for the study itself – I haven’t seen it yet so can’t comment on it.

I will look into MedLine (database of all articles related to medicine, genetics etc) and tell you if the study even looks like it can be trusted.

Originally posted by PCR

oh man...there is so much misinformation out there on the subject....or maybe it is the fact that just about everyday you can read or hear on TV some sort of half-true about genetics.

Anyhow:

Oocytes (female gametes) initiate their meiosis before the girl is even born however the completion occurs later into the puberty. Male gametes (spermatozoa, sperm) develop during puberty and on.

Mutations may occur at any point in time – DNA, though a stable molecule, has certain weaknesses and will undergo changes which will manifest themselves as some sort of mutation (deletion, mismatch, frame shift, etc…) The material doesn’t need to be replicated in order to be damaged.

Genetics and environment have their own ways of inducing mutations, damages and sicknesses. As a matter of fact, the role of genetics in induction of certain diseases or mutation is way over-blown.

Immune system, and not genetics plays very important role and it is the immune system that accounts for the “weirdness†bumpdaddy mentioned (smokers and cancer). Genetics have some role but at 30% “blame†rate – don’t make a bet on genes alone.

This subject is quite complex and I could go on for pages – unless you have specific questions – please trust me when I say that so far all the posts have significant level of misinformation.

As for the study itself – I haven’t seen it yet so can’t comment on it.

I will look into MedLine (database of all articles related to medicine, genetics etc) and tell you if the study even looks like it can be trusted.

I appreciate you pointing that out to me, but since I am a pre-med major and, also, have the ability to read a freshman biology book- you are not telling me anything I do not already know.

But since the effect of X occurs in the brain, where most metabolic activity takes place, then most likely any mutations that may occur (if they occur), would be in this region. AND, I highly doubt that this could cause any mutations in the gonad region.

Of course if you shined X-Ray radiation on this region, then I fully agree mutations could occur.

Nautica

I believe permanent brain damage (if any), along with any other physiological and physical attributes can be represented in chromosomal integrity in future progeny (gametes). But then again, there are SOOO many factors which can cause chromosomal shifts such as cigarette smoking, exposure to pollution, asbestos, and other chemicals as well could lead to sperm and egg prodution with less than a perfect set of 22 "perfect" chromosomes. Unless you rule out theses outside influences you really can't get true results.

It determines sex along with sex related traits. But all 23 are inherited together. 23 haploid from the mother and 23 haploid gametes from the father. Forming a 46 diploid zygote, with traits from each.

Nautica

Originally posted by bodi

I thought the 23 was the X or Y which determined the sex of the child, I hope to god at the least that one doesn't get mutated!!

I wonder where he published his study - I couldn't find it in any databse. I may contact him directly - as a fellow researcher.

it could be true but there may be some BS in the methodology (like using 100mg of E everyday for 6 months - poor monkies)

elitesnautica: you are pre-med? Which Med school you want to attend? If I may say something: better stop reading those freshman books.

saying "23 haploid" - that's like saying wet water....and I don't even want to comment on "23 haploid gametes"