Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Any good DJ's on New Years?

danswat79

Every other major city has a handfull of good DJ's in town for NYE? Anyone descent (I'm not talking Chicago DJ's) playing out here besides Mauro Picotto at the Congress Hotel (which is 18+)? You'd think think this city would find some descent talent to come in for such a big night - major disapointment

there is enough shit going on here every weeekend. NYE packs the clubs no matter if its a top 10 dj in the world playing or some local scrub, promoters make a killing anyway without having much overhead. No point in brining in talent on nye if you can catch it every normal weekend.

i dont often hear about a lot of national talent coming to chicago. (i could be totally wrong, i live on the east coast right now and dont get back to the windy city all that often)....

and there doesnt seem to be a lot of excitement surrounding it when there is.... last time i was in town, hit up transit with sander kleinenberg spinning on a thursday night and there was a pretty weak turnout....

hmmm.... :confused:

Yeah - your right....Not too many great DJ's are brought in compared to other big cities...look at NY, Miami, LA.....you'd think we get the same quality and quantiy of talent but it doesn't happen. I would love to have the all the options NYC has - nightlife blows Chicago out of the water

Originally posted by danswat79

Yeah - your right....Not too many great DJ's are brought in compared to other big cities...look at NY, Miami, LA.....you'd think we get the same quality and quantiy of talent but it doesn't happen. I would love to have the all the options NYC has - nightlife blows Chicago out of the water

what is so good about NYC nightlife? The overpriced cover you pay everywhere? Oh wait, it must be the mob of guidos that surrounds you at every place. Lets not forget overpriced drinks, long lines and $5 off if youre on the guest list. Yeah NYC has chicago beat fo sure.

Chances are if there is talent in NYC, they are booked either before or after NYC in chicago.

Chicago is soooo fucking lame, i mean just take a look at the shitty events we have here

12.16: Mazi @ Goodbar

12.16: Chris Liebing, Alex Peace, CZR @ Smartbar

12.18: Gramaphone Techno Showcase w/ Traxx, Mani @ Smartbar

12.19: Miles Maeda & Josh Werner @ Smartbar

12.19: Tim Shumaker & Pat Nice @ Zentra

12.20: John Aquaviva (7 hour set) @ Smartbar

12.20: Cajmere, JT Donaldson, Gene Farris @ Spybar

12.20: Christopher Lawrence, Jonas Temple & Seneca @ Spundae

12.21: Frankie Knuckles @ Hydrate

12.25: Green Velvet,Roy Davis Jr,Hyperactive,Angel Alanis,Dara,Danny Wildchild @ Boogie Down Xmas5 @Oasis160

12.26: Hi-Fi Lounge w/ KGBeats @ Kazbar

12.26: Heather @ Smartbar

12.26: Angel Alanis & Paul Anthony @ Zentra

12.27: Grayarea (live), Dan efex, Angelist & Chris Gin @ Spundae

12.30: Derrick Carter @ Goodbar

12.31: Mauro Picotto @ Spundae Big Bang 2 @ Congress Theater

12.31: Smartbar NYE w/ Colette, Miles Maeda, Justin Long, Brad Owen @ Smartbar

12.31: Ron Trent @ Zentra

1.3: Taj, Gianni, Hipolito Sanchez & Inbum Cho @ Spundae

1.9: Localized @ Vision

1.9: Kenny Hawkes & Heather @ Smartbar

1.9: DB @ Sonotheque

1.9: Garth & Jeno @ Zentra

1.10: Eddie Halowell, D:Fuse, Gary Lacosta @ Spundae

1.10: Colette @ Smartbar

1.16: Farley Jackmaster Funk, Ron Caroll (live & DJ), Dajae (live) @ Zentra

1.17: Kevin Saunderson, Ron Carroll, Justin Nichols @ Spundae

1.18: Donald Glaude, Frankie Bones, AdamX, Heather Heart, and more @ Stardust 4 @ Oasis 160

1.23: Hi-Fi Lounge @ Kazbar

1.23: Mattias Heilbronn & Nick Nice @ Smartbar

1.24: Bryan Zentz, Woody McBride, Matt Nee & Soultek @ Spundae

1.24: Miles Maeda @ Smartbar

1.29: Ed Rush, Optical & Ryme Tyme @ Smartbar

1.30: Metro Area & Common Factor @ Smartbar

1.31: Judge Jules & Billy the Kid @ Spundae

1.31: Neil Aline (Chez music), Julius Papp @ Smartbar

2.5: Monolake @ Empty Bottle

2.7: Max Graham & Remy @ Spundae

2.14: Erick Morrillo @ Spundae

2.21: Jake Fairley @ Empty Bottle

yeah, NYC has chicago beat.

:blown: :blown:

Originally posted by ras67

i dont often hear about a lot of national talent coming to chicago. (i could be totally wrong, i live on the east coast right now and dont get back to the windy city all that often)....

and there doesnt seem to be a lot of excitement surrounding it when there is.... last time i was in town, hit up transit with sander kleinenberg spinning on a thursday night and there was a pretty weak turnout....

hmmm.... :confused:

you are totally wrong.

dont get so defensive... i am not knocking chicago nightlife...

i am just saying that i dont see a lot of big names making appearances out there.... even on your list i dont see a lot of the names we get out here in boston and down in new york and miami.

where is jp, jv, carl cox, dt, pvd, oakenfold, zabiella, judge jules, sasha, digweed... i wont call myself super knowledgable in global talent either but i am just saying i see it lacking in the windy city.

i think it's more a matter of preferences. . . all those big names you mentioned are more the edm "mainstream" and have played out in chicago several times. . . last i was in chicago, i remember sort of a backlash against the progressive/regressive house wankers from the uk, which might explain the low turnout. . . all the names on that long list above are "global talent", just not ones that the avg head would know. . . if you want talent, i would most definitely hit up smart bar!

hi tommy! :)

Wow - thats great Diesel - half of those names I could give a shit about and the other half (that is good) is in NY probably 5-6 times for every 1 time they hit Chicago. RAS's post is 100% on point - look at all the quality resident DJ's and clubs that are out there...Not to mention AFTERHOURS!!!!! I used to think Chicago was a great place to party until I ventured out east - the music and vibe are sooooo much better. Every time I've brought people to party with me out east they have been blown away by the music and energy in some of the clubs. The music out here is so far behind it's not funny and you have to really look for descent music - out there its everywhere you go (Good tribal beats and house is played almost everywhere in NY - it takes a major DJ to come here before we hear that shit)

Wow - thats great Diesel - half of those names I could give a shit about and the other half (that is good) is in NY probably 5-6 times for every 1 time they hit Chicago. RAS's post is 100% on point - look at all the quality resident DJ's and clubs that are out there...Not to mention AFTERHOURS!!!!! I used to think Chicago was a great place to party until I ventured out east - the music and vibe are sooooo much better. Every time I've brought people to party with me out east they have been blown away by the music and energy in some of the clubs. The music out here is so far behind it's not funny and you have to really look for descent music - out there its everywhere you go (Good tribal beats and house is played almost everywhere in NY - it takes a major DJ to come here before we hear that shit)

I lived in nyc for half of my life, so spare me your bullshit "nyc is the greatest attitude".

Ras's posts names a bunch of mainstream palyed out dj's. OMG nyc has okie, Dt, and JP and above all JUdge jules.

Also, NYC has 10 million thickheaded morons such as yourself vs only 3 million morons like me in chicago. Bigger city will without a doubt get a higher rotation of top 10 dj's its simple economics.

Originally posted by ras67

dont get so defensive... i am not knocking chicago nightlife...

i am just saying that i dont see a lot of big names making appearances out there.... even on your list i dont see a lot of the names we get out here in boston and down in new york and miami.

where is jp, jv, carl cox, dt, pvd, oakenfold, zabiella, judge jules, sasha, digweed... i wont call myself super knowledgable in global talent either but i am just saying i see it lacking in the windy city.

look over the list again. That IS global talent. Since you get okie and pvd in nyc 6 times/ year i doubt youre exposed to anything else.

;)

I've lived here in Chicago my whole life. You can't tell me (coming from NY) that the local music here and Chicago style of dance music is better than what's out there. It's Euro, Trance, and Hard House at about 90 - 95% of the lounges and clubs that play dance shit out here. There are a few clubs that bring in good talent (Zentra, Vision, Crobar and Transit, Smartbar - maybe 1 or 2 other) every so oftern - but its nothing to brag about on a consistant basis. And we still haven't even gotten into the topic of afterhours.

I guess everyone has different tastes. I've gotten sick of Chicago probably like you got sick of NY.

PS. Explain How DT and JP are Mainstream

I've lived here in Chicago my whole life. You can't tell me (coming from NY) that the local music here and Chicago style of dance music is better than what's out there. It's Euro, Trance, and Hard House at about 90 - 95% of the lounges and clubs that play dance shit out here. There are a few clubs that bring in good talent (Zentra, Vision, Crobar and Transit, Smartbar - maybe 1 or 2 other) every so oftern - but its nothing to brag about on a consistant basis. And we still haven't even gotten into the topic of afterhours.

I guess everyone has different tastes. I've gotten sick of Chicago probably like you got sick of NY.

PS. Explain How DT and JP are Mainstream

Im too old for afterhours.... or maybe just jaded...i value my sleep way more then staying up till 12pm on sunday fucked up.

If you think about it, in nyc there are 5 major clubs that bring in talent(avalon, arc,centro, crobar,roxy) For a city almost 4 times the size of chicago thats not very impressive.

DT/JP mainstream maybe not. Washed up, for sure!

ok, i neither live in NYC or in chicago so i don't know a WHOLE lot about either of your scenes. but what i do know is this...

have any of you ever heard the saying "quality over quantity"???

IMO the smaller cities with the more intmate atmospheres & smaller venues have the better scenes and the better music. i would MUCH rather hear dj's like angelist, Garth, Jeno, ron trent, mazi, craig richards, terry francis, three, miguel migs, lee burridge, H-foundation, richie hawtin, monolake, john aquaviva, JT donaldson, gene farris, Kenny Hawkes, derrick carter etc...in a small intimate room with an up for it, clued up crowd and a good vibe then going to a big club and seeing mediocre (big name) dj's at a big club with no atmosphere, people that could care less about the music and a shit vibe. now i've lived in miami and detroit so i know the diffrence between a big city vibe and a small city vibe and trust me, the small city vibe is WAY WAY better! the best clubs with the best music, best crowds and thus best vibes in miami were the small hole in the wall clubs like groovejet, rain, lola, jazid, blue etc...none of the big clubs anywhere could ever compare to the vibe and crowd that you found at groovejet!

both NYC and chicago get good talent coming through their cities on a regular basis but having been to both cities, i think chicago has the better clubs, more knowledgable, more passionate crowds and thus better vibes.

now every city big & small has it's share of cheese. but IMO chicago also has MUCH better local/resident djs then NYC does. you people in chicago need to learn how to respect & support or local talent cause it's some of the best in the country!

Actually the local/resident DJ's pretty much what I hate about this place. Most of the places I've been in NY, the vibe is unreal. Everyone seems so into the music - dancing like crazy in circles , feeding off off each other's energy. If you've see it you'd know what I'm talking about - its very unique. I've only experienced it a few times in Chicago (when there was a TOP Dj in at Crobar or the Spundae party). There is definitely something lacking in the music out here. I've seen it Vegas and Cancun too w/ a NY DJ spinning where well over 50% of the party is from the east coast. Friends that I've traveled with to this day say they've never seen anything like it.

Like I said before, everyone has different tastes. I personally don't like the hard house/trance and euro they play in Chicago. I just can't get into it. I'm a really big fan of good progressive house and tribal beats w/ vocals layered on top - and unfortunatly you won't find much of that out here.

i HATE HATE HATE hard house and trance!! it's all shit IMO. i'm into the deep house, tech-house, various forms of techno & ambient/IDM stuff...those are my passions.

chcago put house on the map! you have a wicked little house scene there (derrick carter, heather, gene farris, dj sneak, roy davis jr, mark grant etc...) as well as any number of big name guests that come through there on a regular basis. you have a good electro scene with felix da housecat leading the way and some wicked tech-house djs including tracy tobey AKA angelist & mazi AKA audio soul project! you even get quite a bit of the abstract hip hop/turntableists, IDM & techno dj's and live PA's that come through there ie...rob swift, D-styles, monolake, mr. projectile, jeff mills, richie hawtin, magda, kevin saunderson, derrick may etc...how can you say chicago has nothing?? you obviouly just don't know where to look for it...now granted, NYC gets ALOT of these same people. it's just that in NYC the clubs that they play at most of the time are bigger, with more people thus making the vibe less intimate which IMO makes it not as good. what you have to understand is dj's play to the size of the venue and the crowd it attracts. as a rule, bigger venues attract less knowledgeable crowds thus the djs have to play more excessable music that these less kownledgeable crowds can understand. people that go to these small hole in the wall venues to see dj like the ones mentioned above are the die hard music lovers. they understand the music and what the dj is trying to do thus giving the dj the freedom to play whatever the hell he/she wants to play. those kinda nights are the best! THOSE are the people that are ALWAYS up for it and that make the vibe a good one. NYC has less of that then chicago does IMO. chicago is VERY passionate about it's music, especially on a local level. more so then NYC is IMO. the only problem is that people like you don't seem to want to support it. all you see is the shit hard house & trance but never look deeper to find the good stuff AND there is PLENTY of good stuff in chicago!! a citys scene is based on it's local talent...without it's local talent it is VERY hard for any city to have a good national/international scene. but the local talent can only thrive if the people and music lovers of that city support them...why do you think all the big techno dj's stopped playing in detroit for so long and started playing else where...it was because the people of detroit didn't support them so they started playing places where they would get that support.

i'm going to use tracy tobey as a perfect example...she is a local chicago dj, an amazing local chicago tech-house dj at that. she plays wicked tracks ALL night long and is SOOO passionate about the music. she sets an amazing vibe where ever she plays and is ALWAYS smiling and into it! she is one of the sweetest people i know and one of the sweetest, down to earth, real people in the scene. people like her are VERY few and far between, especially in our scene. she is one of the best up and coming tech-house djs in the US and could be one of the best up and comers in the world if she could just get a little more exposure. yet no one (or very few people) come out and support her when she plays. YOU complain about chicago not having anything good and only having hard house and trance but yet when an amazing dj like tracy plays you don't go. insted you sit around and complain about the lack of a scene when right down the street at smartbar (or where ever tracy happens to be playing) you have one of the best up and coming tech-house djs in the US if not the world playing! why is that??

the same thing goes for when derrick carter or any of the other big name locals play...you people just don't support them. carter is a legend! how can you NOT go support him when he plays?

most of NYC's local talent is mainstream garbage like JP. don't get me wrong, NYC has a nice little underground scene as well with the 'giant step' parties and the 'turntables on the hudson' parties and the like...but over all i'd say chicago is ALOT more underground and has the potential to have ALOT better vibe simply because the local talent is better, the venues are smaller and overall the crowds are MUCH more knowledgeable thus making the vibes better and allowing the djs to play alot better musicly.

SO STOP COMPLAINING AND MAKE SOME EFFORT. GO SUPPORT YOUR GOOD LOCAL TALENT like tracy & mazi & derrick carter! that is where your heart should be! it shouldn't be thinking about all the shit...it should be supporting the good and making it work!

Actually the local/resident DJ's pretty much what I hate about this place. Most of the places I've been in NY, the vibe is unreal. Everyone seems so into the music - dancing like crazy in circles , feeding off off each other's energy. If you've see it you'd know what I'm talking about - its very unique. I've only experienced it a few times in Chicago (when there was a TOP Dj in at Crobar or the Spundae party). There is definitely something lacking in the music out here. I've seen it Vegas and Cancun too w/ a NY DJ spinning where well over 50% of the party is from the east coast. Friends that I've traveled with to this day say they've never seen anything like it.

Like I said before, everyone has different tastes. I personally don't like the hard house/trance and euro they play in Chicago. I just can't get into it. I'm a really big fan of good progressive house and tribal beats w/ vocals layered on top - and unfortunatly you won't find much of that out here.

The "vibe" that you're taking about is 99% of the time drug induced idiocy. I have seen it at SF, Twilo, Tunnel etc, just like I have seen it in other US cities(including Chicago) and in Europe.

Take the drugs away and your "vibe" dies because these people don’t know how to act sober.

Its hardly unique, and you see it(the "vibe) at every party with people tweaked out of their minds. :blown:

i agree, 90% of the people at any given party in any given city are fucked up on some kinda drug or another BUT not all of us are. i have been in the scene for over 10 years now and have NEVER done a drug in my life! i don't even drink! for me it's soully about the music! it's a shame and quite sad that people feel they can only enjoy this music when they are fucked up. the funny thing is is that the above really only holds true for those that go to trance, hard house, progressive & some techno nights. if you go to a deep house night it is exactly the oposite...most of the people there are high...but they are not high on drugs, they are high on the music! and that's the way it should be! thats another huge reason why deep house partys have such amazing vibes! because they are vibes that come from the music and the heart and NOT from some drug.

I know there has to be some smaller unknown places that host good music in a city this big. I just wish it was more widespread and know to the public. I don't go out 3 times a week and its tough convincing people to try new places you've never been to or heard of.

Bottom line - I wish we had better music in the larger clubs and lounges PERIOD

yes, it would be nice to have better music in the larger clubs. but it will never happen. not in the US anyway. in the US, the larger clubs are geared tords the mainstream and the masses. unfortunetly the mainstream & masses in the US are shallow & lazy and will take whatever is spoon fed to them via radio or rolling stone mag. or the like...and thus the larger clubs see a way to cash in on the mainstream with little cost to themselfs. they (the larger clubs) don't care about 'vibe' or 'talent' or 'music'. all they care about is $$...it's a sad state of affairs indeed. so us true music heads that are passionate about the music and are not mainstream, shallow or lazy will just have to continue to dig for the good vibes, the good talent and the good music. all it takes is a passion for the music, a little effort and a good heart and a good ear and the will power to not believe everything you're told and not let anyone else tell you what and what not to like/listen to. there is good stuff in both NYC and chicago on a regular basis. all you have to do is look beneath the surfice and find it...it's all there and it's all waiting for you to discover it.