Clubplanet Nightlife Community

What key attributes make up a successful nightclub?

With so many self proclaimed experts on the board... what are the top 5 key attributes that make up a successful nightclub? Start with #5 being important and end with #1 being an absolute necessity, something any club would not survive without in this area.

Club Layout, Theme and Decor, Dancefloor, Sound System, Lighting, Music, Djs, Promoters, Bartenders, Advertising and PR, Radio Advertising, Decor, Pricing, Women, Crowd, Vip Treatment, Dress Code, Management, Location

Save all the smart ass remarks and comments about drugs for another thread please. I listed some things to think about, but add whatever you feel is necessary.

I think it comes down to this

1. Infrastructure - The Space has to be layed out right and built and decorated to appeal to the people you want to atrract. Grouped into this is sound and lighting.

2. SERVICE - Keep in mind that while many people think clubs are just showcases for music.... ITS A SERVICE INDUSTRY... everyone who is interacting with the patrons should be service oriented. This is what is lacking in most clubs. The people working the door, bars, coat check etc are representing the club to your patrons. Having Some thug at the door or a bartender who is drunk and hanging and joking with freinds doesn't help you in the long run.

3. MUSIC - This is a heavily debated issue... The fact is most clubs rely on DJ's to bring in customers......This is where the problem starts... DJ's should not be viewed as promotors. The Function of the DJ should be to play music...The Good DJ's will build a following.....as will bartenders etc..

4. Promotion - Promote to the people you want to attract and the people you view as potential long term patrons.... Having 20 promoters randomly promoting to fill a club may work as short term remedy to fill the space but those same promoters will be shifting their crowd to whatever other clubs they're working for whenever they feel the need....

5. Finance - You need cash to make things happen. Good help doesn't come cheap....Insurance costs money... rent has to be paid... Booze has to be restocked....Electricity.... waste disposal... taxes..... Another thing about finance...I've seen many clubs opened by an investor with a "working partner" .. its a recipe for disaster... when the club starts to take off the "working partner" always has the attitude that they made the club what it is and all the other guy did was put up some money.....its a bad attitude...Investing in a club is a huge financial gamble...If you want to be a "one man show" then wait till you can afford it...

In the end its all about the crowd and the women and that is something that is a result of good promotion.

A number of those attributes are interrelated, and most lead to the right people promoting the place and the right names being associated with it. If the crowd isnt good, than no matter how cool the place looks it will be deserted very quickly. But in all honesty, I cant see any club being successful for too long, NYC is just a very fickle culture which tends to change its mind very quickly. I cant imagine any successful long-term strategy for a club in this city.

I think having the right DJs is a number 1.

I mean, if I know there is a party from 11 PM till 9AM and we’ll have some great talents spin - I'll be there no matter where it is located...everything else becomes secondary.

I don't care if the club is called Avalon, Arc or Exit - if it's in Manhattan, NJ or Queens.

But if you do bring Ferry, AvB, J00F, Marc V (to name the few that I favor) - I'll be there.

I think DJs are, in a way, promoters by the sheer recognition of their names and the music that can be expected from them.

They have the “power†to bring more people to the club than any promoter.

Let's face it - no matter how cool the club is (location, decor etc) it won't last long unless it plays good music

Originally posted by PCR

I think having the right DJs is a number 1.

I mean, if I know there is a party from 11 PM till 9AM and we’ll have some great talents spin - I'll be there no matter where it is located...everything else becomes secondary.

I don't care if the club is called Avalon, Arc or Exit - if it's in Manhattan, NJ or Queens.

But if you do bring Ferry, AvB, J00F, Marc V (to name the few that I favor) - I'll be there.

I think DJs are, in a way, promoters by the sheer recognition of their names and the music that can be expected from them.

They have the “power†to bring more people to the club than any promoter.

Let's face it - no matter how cool the club is (location, decor etc) it won't last long unless it plays good music

i agree good music of course is essential- my point is not to overly promote the dj- as most clubs do. promote yourself- (meaning the club) the dj's come and go like toilet paper- they are just hired guns- go out like a sulphur flash- promote the club, with good music- people will come because THE CLUB is known for good music-vibe-crowd etc. not just because a dj is there one nite-you can't build a BUSINESS- on outside help- you build a club- with a BRAND NAME

In my humble opinion...

Clubs is definitely a service oriented business. Which means that you need to make your guests happy.

So different clubs have different types of guests and needs. Figure out what type of guests you are trying to target. (The guest type you are targeting should be broad enough to fill your club)

No matter what though, it should be about making the people, the crowd come together to have a good ass time. Clubbing is an experience for most people. They go out because they want an "adventure," a experience and clubs need to focus on that throught the ENTIRE evening/morning/afternoon. Moreover, the DJ's, bartenders, performers, dancers, general staff employees all need to work together towards a "business vision" so guests will feel the vibe.

The staff also needs to be happy. Happy staff = happy crowd. Pissed off staff = pissed off crowd.

Consistancy is also another key factor... guests come back because they know they will have a good time at this place.. or that place. So it's important to keep it consistant every night, as well as throughout the ENTIRE night.

Well that's my 2 cents.. very general i know.. but i think it's important.

Originally posted by zoobar69

I think promoters are the way to go.

OK but what club in NYC has a brand so powerful that it has never used promoters and still is successful?

promoters are parasaites, in general-of course there are exception- but in general they will steal-bullshit you-mooch off you- and in the short don't have a clue on how to build a brand name- which in turn- becomes a thriving business. most club owners also are cluless for that matter. if ya want to lose money fast- get involved with club people, promoters etc- as a group there are exceptions- but in general they are big time losers- who end up owing lots of $$$$, that they usually can never pay back- stay away from letting them into "the business" of running the business.-they are parasites-scamming from one club to another- lmao from promoters( exceptions duely noted)

I think promoters are the way to go.

OK but what club in NYC has a brand so powerful that it has never used promoters and still is successful?

Crobar has the brand... and they haven't been using promotors till now... unfortunately they're killing the name with lame ass kenny kenny at the door.... check out an unbiased opinion of the Door Policy

http://www1.villagevoice.com/issues/0351/flylife.php

Originally posted by njdionysus

With so many self proclaimed experts on the board... what are the top 5 key attributes that make up a successful nightclub? Start with #5 being important and end with #1 being an absolute necessity, something any club would not survive without in this area.

Club Layout, Theme and Decor, Dancefloor, Sound System, Lighting, Music, Djs, Promoters, Bartenders, Advertising and PR, Radio Advertising, Decor, Pricing, Women, Crowd, Vip Treatment, Dress Code, Management, Location

Save all the smart ass remarks and comments about drugs for another thread please. I listed some things to think about, but add whatever you feel is necessary.

Music and Vibe!!!!

Atmosphere...a feeling that you can truly "be yourself"...

What about a place like Webster Hall. They have a brand and they don't use promoters and they are like 15 years old.

I think they even license their name to a record label for CD's.

Webster hall gets alot of tourist buisiness... they advertise in alot of those tourist guides that you see in hotels.... They also host alot of "theme parties" that draw people... and yes.. they have a record label and they also do alot of events in partnership with radio stations..

Back in the day a promoter was someone who took a financial risk to throw a party. You would work a deal with the owners of a certain club where you'd guarantee them a certain maount of money for the club that night... you'd throw the party .. bring in the entertainment and PROMOTE it by word of mouth and/or giving out flyers etc.... back then there was always a live act involved that would make or break your party... If you had the right act and people knew about it you could do well.. If you didn't know your shit you'd have to pay up at the end of the night... and there was no avoiding iit...... people took risks and lost money..... and they would stop doing it soon after... this scenario is what feuled the current movement of commission based promotion... theres no risk involved for the promoter.... and everyone through the door means $$ if promotors can make their minimums.. usually 10 people through the door.... with commissions between $5 - $10 .... What you get is 80 people on a promoter's list... of which maybe 20 people will show... and maybe 10 will actually make it past the door...with an inexperienced doorperson thinking they gotta be selective cuz there are 20 different lists with all these people who are supposed to be showing