Clubplanet Nightlife Community

more minorities crying... vice city...

Guest saleen351

Guest saleen351

Haitians' Suit Against Video Game Moves To U.S. Court

Printable version

E-mail this story to a friend

WEST PALM BEACH, FL -- A lawsuit that claims a top-selling video game is dangerous to society and asks that it be removed from store shelves will be decided in federal court.

Haitian civil rights groups filed the lawsuit because the game, Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, instructs players to "kill the Haitians" and awards points for each kill.

The New York-based Rockstar Games Inc. has agreed to remove the offensive line from future versions of the award-winning video that has sold 11 million copies.

But the Haitian organizations, led by the Haitian-American Coalition of Palm Beach County, have also asked for more than $15,000 in damages.

The suit was filed Dec. 23 in state circuit court in Palm Beach County. Attorneys for Rockstar Games opted to move the case to federal court, and that motion was granted Tuesday. No hearing dates were immediately set.

The lawsuit takes on heavyweights in the video game industry, including Rockstar Games, its parent company Take-Two Interactive Software Inc., Sony Computer Entertainment, the Microsoft Corp., and retailers Target, Wal-Mart and Best Buy.

The manufacturer of the game, in which an ex-convict is hired to recover stolen drug money in the streets of Miami, has been harshly criticized for its portrayal of Haitians.

Earlier this month, about 100 Haitian-Americans demonstrated outside a Wal-Mart Supercenter in nearby Boynton Beach chanting, "Stop Vice City."

Attorneys for the Haitian organizations and the video game manufacturer did not return phone calls late Wednesday. (AP)

Being haitian I can understand why many would be upset about the way haitians are portrayed in the game, but a lawsuit against rockstar entertainment is :rolleyes: Different people and races are misportrayed many times in the entertainment industry and this is not much worse then many movies I have seen that portrays russians as terrorists, italians as mobsters, french as assholes. I think anybody that plays these games or watches these movies know that not all italians are in the mob, not every russian is an evil terrorist, not every french person is an asshole, and certainly not all haitians are drug dealers and should be killed.

Besides Haitians have much bigger problems right now then getting upset at a videogame company and if the people behind this lawsuit really wanted to show to people that they care about their people then they would spend more time getting active in the crisis going on in haiti instead of finding videogame companies to sue.

Originally posted by livin42nite

Besides Haitians have much bigger problems right now then getting upset at a videogame company and if the people behind this lawsuit really wanted to show to people that they care about their people then they would spend more time getting active in the crisis going on in haiti instead of finding videogame companies to sue.

Well said! :aright: Same could be said about a lot of Politics and world issues... even right here at home!

to be honest, any minority in that game could try file a lawsuit...

however, videogames always get scapegoated once in a while, some colombine families tried to sue a load of companies, including ID software because the killers played Doom.

everyone has played doom...

ffs...

soldier of fortune got in trouble because for the whole game if you killed civilians you got in trouble, then when you made it to the iraq level, if you killed civilians you didn't get in trouble.

people said that was wrong, I thought it was just being realistic... ahahhaahem...

yeah...

where's my coat?

Originally posted by thrillfire

if i could sued someone for everytime some company potraid russians in a bad light, i would be pretty rich...

:laugh:

true, very true

and only now they finally started putting actual russians to play russian extras in movies. it was always very annoying when they guys supposed to be playing russians never friggin actually spoke russian

friggin cryin minorities, they should stop bitching and start doing something a bit more productive