Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Take a look at this...Bias at the BBC?

mr mahs

I am reviewing today's economic report on 4rd quarter GDP growth....

The first estimate puts it at 4% for the 4rd quarter and a final reading of 3.3% for 2003. The Consensus was for a 4.8% GDP# so it wasn't a massive disappointment and this was a preliminary reading, meaning it's subject to a revision before the final # comes out. The 3rd quarter initial number was 7.4% and the final number was 8.4%. Economists weren't expecting the economy to match the 8.2% reading, noone did that's why the market isn't tanking right now....

I was reading the BBC headlines and what do you know.....

US rebound loses its momentum

The once-sizzling pace of US economic growth has eased sharply, according to the latest set of official figures.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/3445609.stm

Now the rest of the article spells out what I just said but it quotes American analysts explaining the report..

Also.. The majority of economies in Europe either register a negative GDP# or a close to it. The 4% figure even if it stays at that number is 4x the rate Europe grew at.

My beef is with the headline.. it sounds as if it was geared to say

"HA the 8.2% number was a spoof..." and this is the message they wanted Europe to hear....