Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Possible new night at Capone's

lotto

Im Looking to start a new Night In Ft Lauderdale at Capone's on Thursdays!! Im sure there are some people who would love to come down on thursday and groove to some good House!

What Im not sure of is if Thursdays are good in Ft lauderdale but I want to book like good local djs like Shawn Rudnick maybe Roland and so forth.... If I were to get Thursdays would You go ?

:party:

Originally posted by lotto

Im Looking to start a new Night In Ft Lauderdale at Capone's on Thursdays!! Im sure there are some people who would love to come down on thursday and groove to some good House!

What Im not sure of is if Thursdays are good in Ft lauderdale but I want to book like good local djs like Shawn Rudnick maybe Roland and so forth.... If I were to get Thursdays would You go ?

:party:

Thursday's are hard but i will stop by for sure when I can.

Capone's is a bar. Its not a lounge and the atmosphere is not conducive to House Music. Its a place where women jump on the stage to show off their assets to top 40 music. I wish you luck. I'll come by for a beer. But this is not the right venue for you.

its a pretty nice bar the sound is great and the DJ booth is set up nicely! I think it has good potential. I mean If you want to find something to do On thursdays why not go to a place that has great music and great people!

I know that it's not a good idea...Thursdays in downtown laud suck..on top of that capones is shit...but we need to start a party that is devoted to the sounds of house music in fort lauderdale where you can goto on any given night and just hear some decent music...this night will be interlaced with our webpage www.loudbeats.com for streaming broadcasts . Does anyone have any ideas?

not a smart idea... my 2 cents.....

We are just Trying to find the right spot to have a good weekly Local night. Where locals that love house can come have some beers and listen to great talented Djs we are not trying to be huge or anything .we just trying to offer a great weekday night!

Its all about having a good time!

Capones, been there and like the others said usually play top 40's style of music with the girls in there getting on the stage and etc. Pretty good times there, I can't say serious house music would work there but I myself would definately go if roly or rudnick were playing there even if they were playing out of their usual character like I've seen them do in cocowalk.

Well we are going to try to put something together....

At capones on a regular basis it gives us the oppurtunity to offer NO COVER with the exception of special guests when the cash comes out of our pocket...We are not limiting ourselves to progressive house either...Loudbeats is affiliated with many other local dj's that we will be booking...

The idea of a House Music night (or any electronic dance music) at a bar or bar type venue usually doesn't get positive feedback, but it CAN work. The question is can it work in South Florida?

Chicago has or has had long running House nights at small venues like smartbar, spybar, madbar etc. The thing is with those places is that people that go there expect to hear house music or music that is a cut away from mainstream genres and those places have a history for those types of events. Its hard to start a real house night at a place that has a reputation for being just what it is a bar or even a place that trys to come close by pushing the latest party 93 cheese. With that said, its even equally as difficult to start one of these nights during the week and to start it at a place that does not currently have a crowd that is accepting or educated on this type of music. You can't go in with the notion that you are going to convert the existing patrons and open their eyes to something they have been missing because it almost never works out that way. You may get a couple, but more than likely you will drive away their existing business....which is not what the place wants unless you can replace their existing client base on that night and more so...add numbers to that base. With all that said, it still can be done and you hit the nail on the head.....if you give your target audience acts that they can immediately recognize and that have an existing following your chances for success increase. I am sure this is sort of the model MIA is following. They didn't bring in Joe Shmoe to DJ they brought in OG and EV....this grabbed peoples attention and said to them that this place is going to be giving you what you want in talent and not trying to dick you around with the little guys. In all honesty the majority of people could give 2 shits about us little guys...they come out because they are familiar with the bigger names. The main problem with any of these types of new ventures here in South Florida is the pretentious nature of the people. Its obvious that it is really only about music to a select few...so in order to be succesful you have to cater to the wants and needs of people that don't know their ass from a hole in the ground, but still want to be with the in crowd. On top of that a night like this, in my opinion, would have to be consistent in the early going.....bringing the more recoginizable names weekly so that there is a chance to start building a regular crowd. That way you can give the less known names a chance to gain recognition by giving them an opening spot so when there are no bigger names on the bill people don't feel like they are missing out.

I say this because I had something funny just happen to me....I was on another board and recognized a name. It was a DJ, but more so a person that I thought I had met through friend a while back. Turns out it was the person I had thought it was. I actually took this person to her first party back in 99 in Chicago with some friends and then I moved here to Miami and only heard she was getting into spinning and promoting. In the time I have been here this girl started to promote a local club night in Champaign, Il....very much a college town....in fact the only thing there ...is the College.....well she knew her audience and was able to bring in DJs like Colette, Justin Long and Derrick Carter.....this girl had only been spinning 5 months before she was the opening DJ for these DJs down there...in time she moved back to Chicago began promoting and landed an opening spot for Justin Long at one the bars I had mentioned earlier. This girl has a total of 3 years DJing experience and now has releases on labels like Igloo records and is currently touring the UK playing along side acts such as Sander K. and Derrick May in the up coming weeks. She was slated to play WMC, but she wanted to take a break to be with family otherwise DJ Alena was slated to play the 20:20 vision party with DJs like of Ralph Lawson. The point is she didn't bill herself as the DJ for any these events, she took the right approach and and took a back seat as the opener and gave the people what they could immediatly relate to and in time the people that came out to support the bigger names were eventually coming to support her. Anyways long-winded food for thought.

I suggest Karma or Sidebar as a Venue. I think Bulldog is 2 far from the action on a Thursday night. You also might want to think outside the box and pick a place that has no crowd but served booze. Like that Taco Place next to Tarpon Bend. It is empty after 9:30P on a Thursday night and has a full bar. Imagine if you clear out some tables, bring your own sound, and leave the outside tables for the few who want to eat. This way you would create a party where there is none, instead of clashing with the existing image and expectations of Capone’s regular customers. The taco place might not be the answer… but think along those lines.

(feel free to use my ideas - it will cost you drinks)

Originally posted by lotto

The thing with Capones is that they are not even open on thursdays so we would not even be mixing crowds. The owner is willing to open the doors on thursday just for the US!

I'm not making myself clear - The only spot that really mixes up the music (non-club) is Side Bar. In Lauderdale when you think of Top 40/Hip Hop crap its always Rush Street, Capones, Max's, ect... Karma is House, Tarpon is live cover band, ect... Capone's image will be hard to overcome. I like your idea... the space bothers me. But fuck it. I've been wrong before (once) ;) and if your passion tells you this will work go for it.

Originally posted by guyman1966

I suggest Sidebar as a Venue.

You also might want to think outside the box and pick a place that has no crowd but served booze.

This way you would create a party where there is none, instead of clashing with the existing image and expectations of Capone’s regular customers. The taco place might not be the answer… but think along those lines.

(feel free to use my ideas - it will cost you drinks)

Agree with Guyman1000%

Lotto he knows they're "not open" but it still has (and I quote) "the existing image and expectations of Capone’s regular customers" MEANING: As many people posted, Capone's has a certain "stigma" that comes along with it... like remember when we did 1,300 people for House music with Marquess Wyatt at RADIUS??!!! :eek: HUGELY successful night.. but ALWAYS "Radius":vomit2:

I was telling Seth, do a smaller, "new" venue and establish a cool little vibe with you and your crowd AND THEN start bringing in some of your guests (that is unless they're willing o help you out as a favor) Guyman definitely hit it on the head!

Definitely get something going, but don't JUMP into anything out of impulse! You have our help!