Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Majority of Iraqis See Life Better Without Saddam

igloo

Majority of Iraqis See Life Better Without Saddam

Tue Mar 16, 1:12 AM ET

LONDON (Reuters) - A majority of Iraqis believe life is better now than it was under Saddam Hussein (news - web sites), according to a poll released on Tuesday.

A total of 2,500 Iraqis were quizzed for a group of international broadcasting organizations including the BBC in a poll to mark the first anniversary of the U.S.-led invasion.

Almost half (49 percent) of those questioned believed the invasion of their country by U.S. and British troops was right, compared with 39 percent who said it was wrong, the poll commissioned by the BBC and other broadcasters found.

Some 57 percent said that life was better now than under Saddam, against 19 percent who said it was worse and 23 percent who said it was about the same.

Iraqi people appeared optimistic about the future, with 71 percent saying they expected things to be better in a years time, six percent predicting it will be worse and nine percent the same.

Overall, 70 percent said that life was good now, compared with 29 percent who said it was bad.

Some 85 percent identified restoration of public security as a major priority, against 30 percent who wanted elections for a national government and 28 percent an economic revival.

Just a quarter said they had confidence in U.S.-led occupation forces to deliver their needs. There were far higher levels of confidence in Iraqi religious leaders (70 percent), local police (68 percent) and the new Iraqi army (56 percent).

Fifty-one percent were opposed to the continued presence of foreign forces in Iraq (news - web sites), against 39 percent who supported it.

Almost a fifth of those questioned said that attacks on foreign forces were acceptable, while 14 percent said the same about attacks on the civilian administrators of the Coalition Provisional Authority and 10 percent on foreigners working with the CPA.

Asked what political system they believed was needed in their country, 86 percent said they wanted democracy, but 81 percent said a single strong Iraqi leader was needed.

Opinion was evenly split on whether the invasion of Iraq. The poll found that 41 percent believed that the invasion humiliated Iraq while 42 percent said it liberated the country.

BRITONS DIVIDED

A separate poll of British people suggested that a slim majority -- 48 percent to 43 percent -- supported UK involvement in the war.

Some 40 percent of respondents to the UK poll for the BBC2 "Newsnight" program said that British Prime Minister Tony Blair (news - web sites) and his government exaggerated the threat of Iraqi weapons of mass destruction in the run-up to war, and 22 percent that they lied about WMD, against 29 percent who said they told the truth.

But the survey found that more Britons would trust Blair (32 percent) to take a decision on future military action than Conservative leader Michael Howard (22 percent) or the Liberal Democrats Charles Kennedy (17 percent).

Pollster ICM interviewed 1,014 British adults between March 10 and 12.

Oxford Research International interviewed 2,500 Iraqis between February 10 and 28 for the broadcasting organizations BBC, ABC News, ARD and NHK.

This must kill the clueless lefties, who actualy ignore what the Iraqi people say and prefer in favor of their own version of reality, spoon-fed to them through agenda driven media

"We are like prisoners emerging from the darkness of our cells, blinking as we enter the air and light. As our eyes adjust, we see paradise coming"

--Iraqi poet Malik Al -Muttalibi on the American liberation

Yet another beautiful, meaningful bump....

The questions remains to the clueless brigade: marksimons, jamirolost, etc....

When will you admit that your barking means nothing, when the overwhelming majority of Iraqi people are glad Saddam Hussein is gone, feels there lives are better today, and feels their lives will be better in the future......

Once again, on the wrong side of history

Just saw this. Sorry to say Igloo - polls don't mean shit(there was a recent discussion on here about that where both sides actually kind of agreed on that), ESPECIALLY in a place like Iraq. What kind of people did they poll...mostly Baghdad residents, or did they actually travel to places like Basra(?) where anti-US sentiment is high. A little background on the sample is needed before any kind of conclusion can be made.

Also, read my article on Iraqi sentiment toward the Israeli attack, where Iraq's top cleric has strongly condemned (and I mean strong enough to offer support) the killing of the Hamas leader. And, as the morons who actually posted on that thread couldn't understand, that does not bode well for Iraqi sentiment against the US, especially if the perception is that the US condoned the action.

Originally posted by raver_mania

Just saw this. Sorry to say Igloo - polls don't mean shit(there was a recent discussion on here about that where both sides actually kind of agreed on that), ESPECIALLY in a place like Iraq. What kind of people did they poll...mostly Baghdad residents, or did they actually travel to places like Basra(?) where anti-US sentiment is high. A little background on the sample is needed before any kind of conclusion can be made.

Also, read my article on Iraqi sentiment toward the Israeli attack, where Iraq's top cleric has strongly condemned (and I mean strong enough to offer support) the killing of the Hamas leader. And, as the morons who actually posted on that thread couldn't understand, that does not bode well for Iraqi sentiment against the US, especially if the perception is that the US condoned the action.

First, I agree with you on polls....but of course, the anti-Bush crowd loves using them when they are in their favor

Secondly, If you see other articles I have posted that reference these polls, it makes mention to sampling challenges in Iraq, but more than one outlet has done a poll in Iraq, and they all have come up with similar results.....that can not be dismissed....and this one was the BBC, which should tell you something.

Thirdly, the poll is not measuring anti-American sentiment. It is measuring how they views their lives now, and in the future...and if the war effort was worth it.

These polls also reveal the complex nature of Iraqi feelings. Like Bill Maher said on his show, which I am paraphrasing..."Iraqis thank us, are happy, and say Fuck You....

I read your post, and certainly understand its points.. But again, this poll and others is not measuring anti-American sentiment,, but how Iraqis are viewing their current status and their future.

Also, Residents of Basra would have a much higher appreciation for their new freedoms versus a Baghdad resident.

While this poll and others are not perfect, they do provide some positive indicators that can not be ignored or diminished, nor should they. EVen by those most vehement antiwar crowd.

BTW..I posted some nice Palestinian stuff just for you ;)

No, I'm not dismissing them, and I'm sure there are many Iraqis who are glad about their lives. But there are also many others who are not - there is a lot of conflicting and confusing info coming out of there, pretty much reflecting the sentiment there I guess.

No, I'm not dismissing them, and I'm sure there are many Iraqis who are glad about their lives. But there are also many others who are not - there is a lot of conflicting and confusing info coming out of there, pretty much reflecting the sentiment there I guess.

Who wouldn't be glad to be free of Saddam (except for the loyalists)?

Originally posted by raver_mania

Who wouldn't be glad to be free of Saddam (except for the loyalists)?

The bottom line is the majority is happy about their lives now....but even more importantly, have hope for a better future...the positive ripple effect on this for Iraq and the region can be enormous......

Of course, some are going to be unhappy....most notable Saddam loyalists, terrorists, and those who wish this bold move towards democracy to fail (Iran, Syria, Al Qaeda, European elites, some on the American left, etc)...

And there will be those who are simply going to be unhappy because they are just that.. unhappy---that is in any country