Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Ecstasy Rising - Peter Jennings - Show was AMAZING! r/o

I hope some of you had a chance to catch the "Ecstacy Rising" special with Peter Jennings last nite on channel 7. It was amazing to watch and learn about the rise adn fall of this popular drug.

I was also suprised to see the spin they put on it, it really showed that the US government basically 'made-up' the so called 'scientific facts' that E causes permanent brain damage. In other studies done last year in germany and England, impartial scientists discovered that after repeated use the levels of serotonin in your brain only decrease by 4 - 5%, and they are restored back to normal after 3 months of abstinenece...

Basically it proved that the US couldnt find anything "socially wrong" with the drug, there were no deaths, fights, health risks, social problems, etc. and basically it was touted as a "love drug" or "hug drug" and was doing wonders in psycotherapy patients who had experienced post trumatic stress. In one instance, a woman who had been raped became withdrawnfrom life and was able to be rehabilitated through the use of MDMA. great things could happen if this drug was used properly under a physicians care, however, the good ol' US of A cant stand anyone using a drug to have a good time, regardless of its medical benefits or lack of health risks.. and used thier emergency power to pass alaw making MDMA a scheduale 1 drug, along with marajuana, cocaine and heroin.

They also interviewed the original people who first used mdma back in the 80's when it first blew up in dallas tx. These men were rather old, and they had experienced no permanent brain damage or health risks. In fact, the man even said, I have taken over a thousand pills in my life, and I have no health problems associated withthe drug at all.

Its just interested that the show actually proved the US's underhanded ways of drumming up propaganda for a drug that the public didnt really see as a threat, and the govmt had to make up this so called scientific evidence in order to scare away potential users.

its a shame the war on drugs actually ruins more lives by the laws that govern the drugs, rather then the actual drugs themselves...

I think that the the show on "Ecstasy on the Rise" with Peter Jennings was extremely infomative. All of the studies and the data that they presented was extremely viable. All of the past "shows" on ecstasy had people and studies that were as crediable as George Bush. I am not by any means an advocate for ecstasy, but this show did nothing but state the facts. Facts that are necessary for our generation to know. I am happy that finally, the correct group of educated, crediable human beings got together and gave the public an unbiased educated view. =-)

While it did seem the program was more for then against X, you must remember two things..

1) X had to be made illegal.. do you want your future kids to be walking around high all day? As most of you know, the feeling it produces is very good and highly addictive.

2) As they said in the show, "The jury is not out, YET" One German study that suggest 4-5% serotonin depletion is hardly concrete evidence the drug is safe, short-term and even more so long-term.

You people need to think about what you put into your body. Just as many thousands of people smoke and then one day unexpectly get lung cancer, there is a very real possibility your seriously damaging your brain by taking X - and after all it IS the most important organ in your body.. why risk it?

ive already posted about this on jpe and ncc but to recap i definitely found it unbiased and informative. what interested me, was lets say they find that it doesn't cause long term, irreparable brain damage and that the german study was correct: a 5% loss of seratonin, that will replenish itself after abstaining from x use for 3 months or so. that would mean it isn't permanently damaging, and the chance of immediate death is EXTREMELY low. would that mean they'd make it legal? i DOUBT IT. and u know why this drives me insane ? not b/c i care all that much about pills being legal, but the utter RETARDEDNESS of it. like the doctor said, many people suffer similar complications from prescription pills, allergies and wat not, and we have BEYOND proven that smoking DEFINITELY causes long term damage to the brain, lungs, heart etc etc that is IRREVERSIBLE but thats legal. alcohol is legal, and that DEFINITELY turns ur liver into SWISS CHEESE not to mention ur heart. so, that being said how is long term damage grounds for making something illegal when there are so many LEGAL SUBSTANCES right now that have been SCIENTIFICALLY proven to do FAR WORSE?? hmmm

Bozer, yur an idiot. The rest of you have good points. But I think this goes beyond what you are saying. e.g., it wasn't always known that smoking causes lung cancer. I bet some poor guy got lung cancer 30 years after he started smoking and that's what started it all.

Who knows...5-10-15-20 years from now what this stuff will do? I'm not sure how many test cases are out there that have experiments that have lasted that long. E has been around for a long time, but this is something that has become a widespread thing for only the past decade.

So I wouldn't try and justify anyone's abuse of the drug simply because Peter Jennings gave a more informative report. Know what you are doing, learn how it is affecting you and always control intake through moderation or abstinence. Some of you might think "who cares if I take 8 pills tonight" or "who cares if I take 4 a week". But guess what...I don't know any person who has seriously abused any substance, legal or illegal, that didn't regret it at some point in their lives.

v

Originally posted by H-BomB

While it did seem the program was more for then against X, you must remember two things..

1) X had to be made illegal.. do you want your future kids to be walking around high all day? As most of you know, the feeling it produces is very good and highly addictive.

2) As they said in the show, "The jury is not out, YET" One German study that suggest 4-5% serotonin depletion is hardly concrete evidence the drug is safe, short-term and even more so long-term.

You people need to think about what you put into your body. Just as many thousands of people smoke and then one day unexpectly get lung cancer, there is a very real possibility your seriously damaging your brain by taking X - and after all it IS the most important organ in your body.. why risk it?

no it DID NOT HAVE to be made ILLEGAL on the sched. 1 drug list right off the bat. do u want ur kids walkin around high all day? are all kids drunk all day? alcohol is legal, but its REGULATED. YOU DONT THINK that should've been considered before putting ecstasy in the same categoy as HEROIN AND COCAINE?

Originally posted by djaparz

there was also one on HBO that had a father going to Raves with his kids and taking E - all he kept saying was "What Up Dog" I wanted to bitch slap him

Is it me or does Frankie Bones look old!!!

i remember that hbo shit that was insane!! the dad was fuckin buying pills for his kids and was just a complete deadbeat. the kids were in like middle school too - a little too young

Everyone makes good points. I agree with sheagodiva that the US Govnt did "jump the gun" so to speak on making mdma a scheduale 1 drug immedaitly. Its use for medicinal purposes should continue to be explored and it should be legal to use in a controlled enviornment under a doctors care, as it was used in those cases mentioned earlier to treat patients. However, i feel the same way about marijuana, that it should without a doubt be legalized if not throught out he country, then at least for medicinal purposes.

Although our govnt could drastically reduce the nat'l debt if they legalized marajuana and taxed it like ciggarettes, the tobacco and alchohal industry contribute so much money to the US govnt, that that day will probably not come anytime soon. but i could go on about marajuan legalization all day....

as far as mdma is concerned, im not promoting the use of it, in fact, no one should use it unless they are completely informed about the effects and only use in moderation; or unless they are using for a medical condition under a doctors supervision. however, because the US's policy on drugs , we may never know the true wonders that mdma could have in helping other people, or treating other diseases...

Watching this show I was waiting for the same old show on MDMA. Knock it right off the bat and trash it left and right. I was very shocked that there was very little negative tones on the drug. They did add a few comments from people towards the end about it 'ruining your life' etc. Not as much as I expected. Overall a very good show. It was by far the best on this subject I have seen. People at .gov must be really pissed @ ABC right now ;)

"You people need to think about what you put into your body. Just as many thousands of people smoke and then one day unexpectly get lung cancer, there is a very real possibility your seriously damaging your brain by taking X - and after all it IS the most important organ in your body.. why risk it?"

This is a great point. The mechanism of action of the drug, and its response within the brain, is similar to parkinsons disease. Receptor upregulation, its common in many aspects of human physiology. The long term consequences of E are still being conducted, but I can tell you it isn't good. Most if not all medications have adverse effects.

As a tranceaddict, and a future physician (1 week away), I would advise against continuous E use... from the medical articles I've read (ABC news is still journalism, and still carries a bias, in this case advocating), I'd have to say be cautious, its your body. You can go bungy jumping too... and while the cord only breaks once or twice... that could be you!

I would have liked to have seen the piece also. Funny a lot of my doctor colleagues have all tried e... and they don't even like the music. I love this music and have never tried it.

Originally posted by shaegodiva

v

no it DID NOT HAVE to be made ILLEGAL on the sched. 1 drug list right off the bat. do u want ur kids walkin around high all day? are all kids drunk all day? alcohol is legal, but its REGULATED. YOU DONT THINK that should've been considered before putting ecstasy in the same categoy as HEROIN AND COCAINE?

Maybe a duel schedule like GHB is now.. Schedule 1& Schedule 3.. because it does appear to have some useful medical purposes (Like treating post traumatic stress disorder) but is also has a very high potential for abuse.

Alcohol is an ENTIRELY different substance. Occassional drinking does no real harm to the body, the damage associated with the substance happens due to day in and day out ABUSE. (Alcoholism) At this point we just can't say the same for X.

I think some people are missing the point of the show. Tylenol has a warning on it that it can damage your kidneys if over used.

The whole scare tactic used by the DEA since its inception, with bogus studies and films, is shown to be a complete failure in the case MDMA and overall on the war on drugs.

Any drug not done in moderation can do damage to the body.

leftymo - I know you are becoming a doctor, but the whole Parkinsonism disease theory is a load of shit. The fact is that there are already studies out complete disproving that theory.

I think the whole point of the show was to state how government studies have been completely misleading and in certain cases - straight-out false.

The fact is that there was wide spread abuse in Dallas Texas for numerous years, which was well over twenty years ago. People have are not suffering long-term side effects from that.

Someone who mentioned kids doing; well that is just a ludicrous. Do you really want your kids doing any sort of drug daily or at any period of time? You don't want your kids taking Tylenol daily. Funny, because scientist can't really tell the effects Prozac has on the brain of children, yet it is prescribe to them.

I don't think the show is about promoting MDMA and more about the misinformation by the government and how it has failed. If you do any drug daily, including alcohol or cigarettes, you will cause server damage to your body long-term.

I found the show to be very informative, but I do not think that Peter Jennings and ABC had any intention to promote use of the drug MDMA. They clearly used MDMA as an example for how the government uses false propaganda to alter America's opinions. The United States government has used a flawed and false scientific study on MDMA and its effects as the truth. As a society we tend to rely on scientific fact as being the truth, especially when it has a "government approved" label slapped on it, and our govenment has used this to thier full advantage.

So maybee MDMA does not cause Parkinsons disease, does not eat holes in your brain, and does not cause long term brain damage. However, it is still a mind-altering drug that should be used with caution. Especially since when you buy any pills these days, they are never pure, and I personally find that a large deterrent.

Additionally, I believe that MDMA should be legalized for medicinal purposes. Marijuana relieves pain in cancer patients, and who knows what MDMA could do for people with serious psychological conditions. More studies would have to be done, but unfortunately this will never happen due to the hasty decisions made by the DEA.

On a lighter note.... did anyone else find that raver chick to be super annoying?

Originally posted by H-BomB

Maybe a duel schedule like GHB is now.. Schedule 1& Schedule 3.. because it does appear to have some useful medical purposes (Like treating post traumatic stress disorder) but is also has a very high potential for abuse.

Alcohol is an ENTIRELY different substance. Occassional drinking does no real harm to the body, the damage associated with the substance happens due to day in and day out ABUSE. (Alcoholism) At this point we just can't say the same for X.

yes but even OCCASIONAL smoking carries those permanent effects, even one cigarette puts tar on ur lungs...but its LEGAL b/c its CASHMONEY for govt...u get my point. plus, u dont get more addictive than nicotine...

Anyone can view the program at ABCnews premium website. Its $4 for a month but worth it for that special on X.

If X was legal for scripts, wouldn't all of us be more likely to abuse it.

The message I took from the program is that we should crack down on dealers who cut X with dangerous substitutes, and do more research on long term effects of pure X.