Clubplanet Nightlife Community

congratulations mr. jangles...

drsatan

Shit, that could be a bad thing actually. I wrote a letter in responce to last week's cover story: Where the Sidewalk Ends. It was a piece about this homeless guy "Red" and his life on the beach. It was pretty good until the end where he started ripping the agency that I work for, City of Miami Beach-Homeless Coordination. Actually, I am an unpaid social work intern there for a year (until late April). After reading the article, I sat down at school and wrote my responce to the ripping and challenging the paper to come to a story on us. I was just tired of people saying ignorant shit when our success rate has been phenomanal. From the time our work began in August, to the time we took a census in December, we reduced the beachs homeless population by 20%. Our program is on point, but we are understaffed and overworked so I think some good press would create opportunities for all of us who work there. However, when I told my supervisor about the letter, she got worried. Apparantly, we are supposed to keep a tight lid on what we say. Since I'm just an intern, I didn't have authority to write that, but I didn't know that. Supposedly, you have to go through the "proper channels" which sounds a bit bureaucratic. I like being outspoken and now that the letter is for everyones reading, I'll probably get berated. I think its worth it though because I'd feel alot worse just to sit there and keep my mouth shut while we are getting ripped