Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Lights at Privledge

Guest djgringousa

Guest djgringousa

i went to see layo and bushwacka and i like the club....real cool and underground..

but the lights fuckin sucked!!!!!

every program in the lights are set to flash...so the club was strobbing the whole night

someone has to get in there and sort that out...

it is really annoying after a while

sometimes it is nice to have slight movment or no lights at all........

last time i was there, i told the lighting people the same thing... they never seemed to sort it out. i felt like i was going to have a seizure (and i'm not epileptic), so i ended up going upstairs a lot to give the retinas some rest....

seriously... cut down on the strobing. it's annoying as hell in excess like that....

lol.

I don't think they have an LD there @ Privlage.

I think its all pre-programmed on some crapy ass controller.

Most clubs can't afford or care to pay to have a in house lighting tech. They buy the lights and controller and have someone dump like 20 programs into it and never come back.

I understand a hiphip club not needing a LD but a club tha plays any kind of electronica. A LD is a be + someone that can controll the light to the beat of the muisc makes a difference in that type of club. as the music controlls the way the chrowd reacts, the lights have an impack on that too.

Privilege has a full time LD, Greg who used to work at Space about a year ago...not for nothing, but the club and more specifically the LD have been mentioned in national trade publications.

On occasion through the night, Greg would have to go upstairs and fix something, and another LD took over for a bit..maybe that is the one whom you saw.

I could sit here and argue for hours, but my arguments would be lost on everyone except for Nexus :cool:.

(in other words, unless you can do better, keep quiet)

Originally posted by pod

Privilege has a full time LD, Greg who used to work at Space about a year ago...not for nothing, but the club and more specifically the LD have been mentioned in national trade publications.

On occasion through the night, Greg would have to go upstairs and fix something, and another LD took over for a bit..maybe that is the one whom you saw.

I could sit here and argue for hours, but my arguments would be lost on everyone except for Nexus :cool:.

I don't think he's there anymore, last I heard he was on standby for space again. I think for Patio.

I saw something in the Club Systems Mag. on him, but I have to disagree with the statement that were made.

Greg is a great guy and all but if you were to sit down and talk to him about true lighting not much would be spoken.

I wouldn't call me a LD just yet.

He's just an operator and Programmer.

LD is more full range,

LD has to have to skills to trouble shoot, repair, and know the basics of the robtics of the fixtures and controllers. If the rig fails at any point while the club is open, he has to have the skills to get it back online or find a solutions to the problem on the spot. That why a club would pay good money for a LD Tech to be inhouse.

it hasn't happen yet at space but the day the rig fails they have the resources and team to get the rig back online one way or the other.

One of my best friend just got the Production manager title there and he has me on standby on weekends incase such problem was to ever happen.

I haven't had the time to Program any of the rooms at space with my style of lighting but if I was people would notice the difference.

?was this DRUNK guy black?

Greg is a heavy drinker. but good guy.

and the best place to learn to be an LD is in the production biz. That were u really get to learn the good stuff as far as programming, Truss loads, Trouble Shooting, Power Loads, DMX Run Charts, theater type lighting and TV Lighitng with white balances and stuff.

there is more besides just making the light move and change colors. A lot more.

Originally posted by pod

i've installed, set up, and ran lights in many clubs throughout the years. and none of that is hard to do. especially something as simple as keeping the strobing from being excessive... so in essence, i believe most people here actually could do a better job with just the knowledge that too much flashing bothers people...

Originally posted by djkable

i've installed, set up, and ran lights in many clubs throughout the years. and none of that is hard to do. especially something as simple as keeping the strobing from being excessive... so in essence, i believe most people here actually could do a better job with just the knowledge that too much flashing bothers people...

I think they have an elation controller, show designer 2, and it's not that easy to go in and edit a cue on the fly. That controller is for install and small clubs.

Greg Loves the strobing lights.... and fast swing movements.

what do u control lighting with?

-----

They told me he was there on trial. dunno if they were going to keep him there.

Originally posted by nexusgroove

?was this DRUNK guy black?

nope.

white guy....pumping his fists (guess he thought he was the dj)...

i did however go up and ask a black guy standing next to the booth "what the hell is going on with the lights? the strobing is killing everyone."...and he said something to the extent of "he's getting off them in a minute, and i'll take care of it"....

Originally posted by djkable

nope.

white guy....pumping his fists (guess he thought he was the dj)...

i did however go up and ask a black guy standing next to the booth "what the hell is going on with the lights? the strobing is killing everyone."...and he said something to the extent of "he's getting off them in a minute, and i'll take care of it"....

was it taken care of?

Originally posted by nexusgroove

I think they have an elation controller, show designer 2, and it's not that easy to go in and edit a cue on the fly. That controller is for install and small clubs.

Greg Loves the strobing lights.... and fast swing movements.

what do u control lighting with?

-----

They told me he was there on trial. dunno if they were going to keep him there.

oh...an SC2? yeah, that's a bit more complicated than the common light controller.... kinda' overkill for that small space, don'tcha' think?

i've used different ones....depends on the various factors between place to place (and the budget of course).... Martin, LSC, Elation, American DJ, etc....

Yeah that's Greg's backup guy (the white dude...)

Greg strobes, but it's more subtle.

Privilege is equipped with a Show Designer 2.

It's a pain to edit on the fly, especially if you are used to a Lightjockey or a controller like the Hog where it is cake to do so.

Originally posted by pod

Sucks to be you, you missed out on a killer closing out of the night by L&B. :)

i wasn't there for L&B (unfortunately), i was out of town... the original thread starter was referencing the L&B show though. but i was talking about another night when my friend Felipe (FX) was spinning there...must've been about 3 weeks or so ago....

seems to be consistent complaints about the same thing on different nights...

Originally posted by pod

It's a pain to edit on the fly, especially if you are used to a Lightjockey or a controller like the Hog where it is cake to do so.

yup, Light Jockey, Case 1 Maxxiss, etc......

but I think any of those controllers would be an over kill for suck a small place. I think they we good with the show designer 2 for the size of the club. I personally HATE that controller or any other controller made by Elation/American DJ

I thought the light guys ego got in the way.

If it was my event, I would have told him to control himself with his fist pumping etc, You wanna pump the crowd, become the dj

I didn't think he did a bad job. It was decent, but the showing off thing turned me off big time.

I liked the music. Good tech.

I thought the light guys ego got in the way.

If it was my event, I would have told him to control himself with his fist pumping etc, You wanna pump the crowd, become the dj

I didn't think he did a bad job. It was decent, but the showing off thing turned me off big time.

I liked the music. Good tech.

Originally posted by pod

but I think any of those controllers would be an over kill for suck a small place. I think they we good with the show designer 2 for the size of the club. I personally HATE that controller or any other controller made by Elation/American DJ

Originally posted by pod

Originally posted by pod