Clubplanet Nightlife Community

converting old VHS to DVD

I'm interested in converting (preserving) some old VHS tapes onto DVD.

What are some things I should know and to look for when choosing a burner?

also what is the recordable time on a DVD?

Whats up man. I handle PR for TDK and they have a whole bunch of great DVD burners. They offer both external and internal models. The highest industry speed for burning a DVD right now is at 8x (although 12x will be out soon) which means you can burn a full DVD in about 8-9 mins. A full DVD holds 4.7GB which is 120 mins of video.

If your looking to buy a new DVD burner, the External 8x+/- Indi DVD burner is one of the best on the market right now. check it out on TDK's website.

Whats up man. I handle PR for TDK and they have a whole bunch of great DVD burners. They offer both external and internal models. The highest industry speed for burning a DVD right now is at 8x (although 12x will be out soon) which means you can burn a full DVD in about 8-9 mins. A full DVD holds 4.7GB which is 120 mins of video.

If your looking to buy a new DVD burner, the External 8x+/- Indi DVD burner is one of the best on the market right now. check it out on TDK's website.

great. the "right person" to ask some questions.... :)

1. Whats the deal with "+" and "-"?

2. So it's 120 mins @ DVD quality, what other quality levels are there (to increase record time)?

great. the "right person" to ask some questions.... :)

1. Whats the deal with "+" and "-"?

2. So it's 120 mins @ DVD quality, what other quality levels are there (to increase record time)?

DVD formats + and - are basically similar. However, most consumers use the "-" format. The fastest you can record a DVD right now is 8-10 mins. Soon 12x DVD burners will be available. But the thing with that is, 12x media will not. So your best bet would be to go for an 8x8 burner and use 4x media, because it will burn at 8x speed. TDK's external does this really well.

So use (-). ok

A big concern is still how much material I can put on a DVD (but at VHS quality)

"Garbage IN Garbage OUT" Theory

Speed wise, I've always been leary about using anything not in the "double factory theory: meaning use 4x, 8x, 16x, 32x ect, but never a 6x,10x,12x, ect

anyone's thoughts?

So use (-). ok

A big concern is still how much material I can put on a DVD (but at VHS quality)

"Garbage IN Garbage OUT" Theory

Speed wise, I've always been leary about using anything not in the "double factory theory: meaning use 4x, 8x, 16x, 32x ect, but never a 6x,10x,12x, ect

anyone's thoughts?

Right now there are a bunch of "capture" devices out that allow you to transfer VHS material onto DVD in digital quality. That would probably be your best bet. they're not that expensive. TDK makes one called IndiCAPTURE. But between you and me Plextor makes the better unit. Let me know if you want anymore info, i can email you press releases or product sheets.

BTW, metromix kicks ass, i listen every day at work. keep it up.