mursa

..and unforgiving . :mad2:

Man gets life sentence for producing meth 14-05-2004 14:47

Man gets life sentence for producing meth

Co-defendant receives 24-year prison sentence

May 14, 2004

By JOHN SHARP

of the Journal Star

PEORIA - For conspiring to manufacture more than 14 pounds of methamphetamine for nearly four years, a former Pekin man will spend the rest of his life in prison.

U.S. District Judge Joe B. McDade sentenced Kenneth Zimmerman, 25, formerly of Pekin and Delavan, to life because of the large amount of meth he produced - 6,581 grams - from 1999 to August 2002.

"The (federal) guidelines really impose too much (of a strict sentence)," McDade said Thursday. "Young people involved in drugs have to understand if you are involved in distributing drugs such as crack and meth, you're facing long periods of imprisonment."

Zimmerman is the first Tazewell County resident arrested for manufacturing meth to be sentenced to life in prison. He is, however, not the first Illinois resident to receive a life sentence for manufacturing the drug.

Also on Thursday, Zimmerman's co-defendant, Chad D. Davis, 26, of Pekin was sentenced by McDade to 24 years on the same charge.

His sentence was less than Zimmerman's because Davis conspired to manufacture a lesser amount of the drug and because his attorney argued that Davis was not one of the "ring leaders" in distributing meth throughout Tazewell County.

As part of federal guidelines, Davis will have serve up to 85 percent of the sentence, or at least 20 years.

Before being sentenced, Zimmerman and Davis apologized for their actions and the harm they caused their families.

"I stand before you begging and pleading for my life so some day I can return to my family," Zimmerman said shortly before being sentenced. "I'm a drug addict."

Added Davis: "I have done everything I can to correct the problem I have, which is drug addiction. I apologize for the times you had to clean up my messes."

Their indictments, handed down in July 2003, alleged the conspiracy started in 1999 and involved more than 500 grams of meth.

In addition to their prison sentences, the duo will have to pay $2,947 to the U.S. Drug Enforcement Agency to pay for clean-up of hazardous waste sites in Tazewell County.

The indictments resulted from the efforts of a federal and state task force formed last year to rid Tazewell County of meth production. Known as "Operation Rattlesnake," the investigations have resulted in arrests in Fulton, Knox and Tazewell counties.

Operation Rattlesnake officials claim more indictments are forthcoming. Thus far, about 22 people face federal indictments in Tazewell County alone.

How pathetic is this !....murderers , child molestors get less time and walk amongst us while this young guy is "OUTTA GAS" .

What a country !!!!!!!!!!!!! :heart:

everytime I read about shit like this Sobriety just seem's better and better, I heard some kid in Miami got 5 year's for having an OC 80 in his pocket we are living in unforgiving time's, and none of us realize the consequence's we face, especially with the whole "we are feeding terrorist's by supply&demand with the drug market,fueling terroist shit".

your better off blasting off your Desert Eagle at someone or attempted manslaughter than get caught with controlled substance's these day's........ this was told to me by a high profile attorney lol