Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Roaring 2000s @ Ultra Last Night

groovefire

Was my first time there and GF is honestly really really talented and that Phazon system is amazing. It really made the tracks sound incredible. But to be honest i had one of the worst times i have ever had at a club. The was way too many people trying to "Rip is Sick" there and call me racist but if you want i cannot enjoy my crowd in a club full of banged up asian tranny's. They have no common sense and bump in to you and dont apologize and walk right in the way of people dancing. There was so many people fucked up on drugs there it was just disgusting. this one kid was sitting in a corner in a k hole and the idiot decided to take his shoes off so i took the liberty of taking his shoes and placing them in another corner. they must have gotten thrown out because i saw him walking around with no shoes on hours later. the crowd it seemed to me wasnt even into the music that much for the most part. for example he played touch me and no one was even really screaming or clapping. the vibe was just miserable. i left @ 10:30 because i couldnt take anymore. he played a remix of someone to hold, a remix of deep kemical, celeda performed whose voice was also miserable. the only good song she sang was music is the answer. also played touch me and things just aint the same. good thing arc is closing i would never ever go back. i dont see how people can like it that much there. everyone i talked to was miserable too.

P.S. i forgot to add there was virtually no good looking people there. i could count on one hand the number of good looking women i saw there and it wouldnt take all my fingers. all the board members excluded though cuz u are all foxes

~Brad~ 2004

The event was very impressive. It’s a tour hitting 20 or 30 cities, and they roll deep. They totally transformed Ultra, felt like a different club. It was loosely themed around a Speakeasy/Roaring 20’s concept, but not too much to be stupid. There were a lot of girls in slutty-flapper attire and they gave every girl in the club a red feather boa. It’s a shame no radio or print advertising was done for this, because anyone would have had a good time. The interplay of live music, DJs, dancers, etc., made for a really fun night. Don’t get me wrong, there was definitely a crowd, maybe 200 people, but it could have, should have been at least twice that.

We ended up playing the main room for more than 2 hours, which was dope. The sound in there is impeccable and the DJ booth is one of the nicest I’ve ever played in. The decks are mounted to two concrete pylons that go all the way down to the street and eliminate all vibration. Impressive. There was hardly anyone there at that time, maybe 50 people or so. We took some liberties, playing everything from deep to funky to breaks to progressive to the latest track “Shine†that we’re still working on. It sounded good, and was cool to see hot flapper chicks dancing to it.

At about 9:30, Scooter and Lavelle started in the lounge. They worked 4 decks, which were placed right next to the dance floor rather than up in the booth. A great set up that Ultra should use again. These guys were good. One mixed while the other scratched. They played mostly funky house, but on a more commercial tip than we play.

At about 10:30 or so, a swing band took over in the main room with a whole burlesque show, which was cool in a unique way. After them, the local band Fungus Amungus went on, who are more of a jam band. I didn’t really listen to them though.

Feelgood started on the lounge side at around 11:30. He was having some kind of technical issue, he kept switching decks and plugging and unplugging things, I dunno. He had some really cool tracks, and with a live trumpet player playing over them, it was just that much better. He stayed in an 8 outta 10 energy zone, which was fine, but I would have liked it to progress a bit more. It seemed like whatever issue he was having had thrown him off and he just wasn’t really feelin it. Ah well. You can do a lot worse than hearing a slightly subpar Feelgood set.

Nice review Todd...good lookin out.

I had a lot of fun last night...and I got a lot of free stogie's from Camel.

Mike and Todd were on point, but again, that *coveted* early time slot was just silly.

The funk band later in the night Fungus Amungus was dope. Had a hard time deciding whether to hear them or Feelgood, so I was going back and forth.

I thought Feelgood was dopeness personified...but I coulda done w/o the hip hop rmx's.

Scooter & Lavelle were really fun to watch...the scratching was great, but the background tracks were a little hard for the room, and all the flapper girls were having a tough time dancing to that.

The burlesque show was hot. And so was the red sillouette girl (howie and todd know who I'm talkin about...) jeezus! Made me want to convert.

Todd was wearing a feather boa at one point...tried to take incriminating pics but cameraphones suck...

The event was very impressive. It’s a tour hitting 20 or 30 cities, and they roll deep. They totally transformed Ultra, felt like a different club. It was loosely themed around a Speakeasy/Roaring 20’s concept, but not too much to be stupid. There were a lot of girls in slutty-flapper attire and they gave every girl in the club a red feather boa. It’s a shame no radio or print advertising was done for this, because anyone would have had a good time. The interplay of live music, DJs, dancers, etc., made for a really fun night. Don’t get me wrong, there was definitely a crowd, maybe 200 people, but it could have, should have been at least twice that.

We ended up playing the main room for more than 2 hours, which was dope. The sound in there is impeccable and the DJ booth is one of the nicest I’ve ever played in. The decks are mounted to two concrete pylons that go all the way down to the street and eliminate all vibration. Impressive. There was hardly anyone there at that time, maybe 50 people or so. We took some liberties, playing everything from deep to funky to breaks to progressive to the latest track “Shine†that we’re still working on. It sounded good, and was cool to see hot flapper chicks dancing to it.

At about 9:30, Scooter and Lavelle started in the lounge. They worked 4 decks, which were placed right next to the dance floor rather than up in the booth. A great set up that Ultra should use again. These guys were good. One mixed while the other scratched. They played mostly funky house, but on a more commercial tip than we play.

At about 10:30 or so, a swing band took over in the main room with a whole burlesque show, which was cool in a unique way. After them, the local band Fungus Amungus went on, who are more of a jam band. I didn’t really listen to them though.

Feelgood started on the lounge side at around 11:30. He was having some kind of technical issue, he kept switching decks and plugging and unplugging things, I dunno. He had some really cool tracks, and with a live trumpet player playing over them, it was just that much better. He stayed in an 8 outta 10 energy zone, which was fine, but I would have liked it to progress a bit more. It seemed like whatever issue he was having had thrown him off and he just wasn’t really feelin it. Ah well. You can do a lot worse than hearing a slightly subpar Feelgood set.

WOW feels just like I am there