Clubplanet Nightlife Community

We Believe! (bring on the expos!)

MLB has narrowed down where the Expos are going to DC, Vegas, and Norfolk (5-10 miles west of Va Beach)

This area has launched a huge marketing campaign to try to prove to MLB that we are ready for the team. Billboards, radio spots, TV spots, flyers, bumper stickers, and anything else you can think of. The group that would own the team is selling fully refundable deposits on season tickets for $100. I guess the fully refundable part is if we dont get the team. But they are doing things like that to try to prove this area wants the team and will be good for it. In all reality we have no shot at beating out DC or Vegas, but like the slogan says...We Believe. There is a neat website they've created with all kinds of facts and info as to why Norfolk is the best fit for the team.

Few examples...Norfolk is the largest city in size and population in the United States that doesnt have a major league team from the 4 major sports. Another...the area, called Hampton Roads, has the 17th largest TV market in the country...Norfolk/Va Beach has the 5th highest increase of population of major city markets in the US in the last 5 years...well you get the point. Check it out

www.norfolkmlb.com

MLB has narrowed down where the Expos are going to DC, Vegas, and Norfolk (5-10 miles west of Va Beach)

This area has launched a huge marketing campaign to try to prove to MLB that we are ready for the team. Billboards, radio spots, TV spots, flyers, bumper stickers, and anything else you can think of. The group that would own the team is selling fully refundable deposits on season tickets for $100. I guess the fully refundable part is if we dont get the team. But they are doing things like that to try to prove this area wants the team and will be good for it. In all reality we have no shot at beating out DC or Vegas, but like the slogan says...We Believe. There is a neat website they've created with all kinds of facts and info as to why Norfolk is the best fit for the team.

Few examples...Norfolk is the largest city in size and population in the United States that doesnt have a major league team from the 4 major sports. Another...the area, called Hampton Roads, has the 17th largest TV market in the country...Norfolk/Va Beach has the 5th highest increase of population of major city markets in the US in the last 5 years...well you get the point. Check it out

www.norfolkmlb.com

Hey man good luck... Norfolk would be a good choice considering you folks don't have any major teams there.....

rock on :pint:

dont they have a minor league team there? how does it do?

yes, norfolk has the Tidewater Tides, the AAA affiliate of the Mets

and we've got the Admirals, the AHL affiliate of the Blackhawks

the Admirals are actually for sale right now because the owners are saying they dont make enough money, so them staying in the area is in question...sucks because I'm a hockey nut, but this area just doenst have a hockey following

The Tides do very well...consistantly sold out, and any time a big name major leaguer is down here for a rehab stint, there is a big buzz...just a good example of how we wanna see the stars on a regular basis

having a minor league team might work against you...they could try and stop having a major league team b/c it will hurt their business. I know that if major league baseball goes to DC, the baltimore orioles are going to get some sort of settlement because there is some thought that it would hurt them...

having a minor league team might work against you...they could try and stop having a major league team b/c it will hurt their business. I know that if major league baseball goes to DC, the baltimore orioles are going to get some sort of settlement because there is some thought that it would hurt them...

plenty of major market cities have minor and major league teams...but i can see your point

usually they have something to do with the major league team....plus selling out minor league games is different than a major league stadium...

minor league seasons are usually half as long and the stadiums are way smaller...i'm not saying it wouldnt work there, i'm just saying it is harder to fill up a big stadium night after night....

update on this whole thing...the oriels owner is going to be in norfolk this weekend at the harbor fest giving a speach on why he thinks norfolk is best for the MLB

any idea why? maybe he doesnt want competition that close to him or something?

Yeh VEgas is def. due for a pro team since it is the fastest growing city.

and what about the Carolinas ...their population boomed and have other pro franchises why not baseball

vegas is growing???? whats their population, like 100,000??? thats nothing compared to here

charlotte was one of the original cities competing, but were tossed outa the running a while back

vegas is growing???? whats their population, like 100,000??? thats nothing compared to here

charlotte was one of the original cities competing, but were tossed outa the running a while back

its over 550,000 and growing faster than any other us city