Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Saudi clerics condemn violence

For those who still believe that Muslim leaders have done nothing to condemn the violence.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/meast/06/15/saudi.clerics/index.html

RIYADH, Saudi Arabia -- Six influential clerics with past links to Islamist militants have condemned the recent wave of violence against Westerners in Saudi Arabia.

The statement by the clerics, some of whom were once close to al Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden, comes as Saudi authorities scour the Riyadh area for a kidnapped U.S. citizen.

The Saudi government let the clerics issue their statement on the state news agency as part of the kingdom's efforts to discredit al Qaeda, which has stepped up its campaign to oust the ruling family.

"The bombings and killings have revolted people and hurt individuals and their property, and no one with the slightest knowledge of Islam can doubt that this is an atrocious crime and grave sin," Reuters quoted the clerics as saying.

Two of the clerics have been imprisoned for demanding reforms and criticizing the powers of the Saudi royal family, Reuters reported.

The clerics adopted the monarchy's description of attackers as "deviants," The Associated Press reported.

"We condemn the criminal acts committed by the deviant group in a number of Saudi areas in which many innocent people were killed," AP quoted the clerics as saying.

"The nation's theologians are in consensus that it is a sin to kill a life without a right, be it Muslim or non-Muslim," the statement said, adding that such acts would divide Muslims "at a time ... when other nations are uniting against them."

The clerics also urged Muslims not to refer to other Muslims as "infidels." Al Qaeda often refers to the United States and other Western countries as infidels and accuses the Saudi royals of being un-Islamic and allying itself with infidels.

The statement comes amid an escalation of violence in Saudi Arabia.

On Saturday, American Kenneth Scroggs was killed in the Saudi capital Riyadh -- the third Westerner killed in attacks in the kingdom in a week.

A BBC cameraman was killed in a June 6 drive-by shooting, and Robert Jacobs, an American working for Vinnell/Arabia -- which has trained Saudi National Guard troops since 1975 -- was gunned down two days later at his Riyadh home.

Meanwhile, Saudi authorities are searching for Paul M. Johnson, an American employee of Lockheed Martin who has been missing since he was apparently kidnapped by Islamic militants on Saturday. (Full story)

For those who still believe that Muslim leaders have done nothing to condemn the violence.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/meast/06/15/saudi.clerics/index.html

RIYADH, Saudi Arabia -- Six influential clerics with past links to Islamist militants have condemned the recent wave of violence against Westerners in Saudi Arabia.

The statement by the clerics, some of whom were once close to al Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden, comes as Saudi authorities scour the Riyadh area for a kidnapped U.S. citizen.

The Saudi government let the clerics issue their statement on the state news agency as part of the kingdom's efforts to discredit al Qaeda, which has stepped up its campaign to oust the ruling family.

"The bombings and killings have revolted people and hurt individuals and their property, and no one with the slightest knowledge of Islam can doubt that this is an atrocious crime and grave sin," Reuters quoted the clerics as saying.

Two of the clerics have been imprisoned for demanding reforms and criticizing the powers of the Saudi royal family, Reuters reported.

The clerics adopted the monarchy's description of attackers as "deviants," The Associated Press reported.

"We condemn the criminal acts committed by the deviant group in a number of Saudi areas in which many innocent people were killed," AP quoted the clerics as saying.

"The nation's theologians are in consensus that it is a sin to kill a life without a right, be it Muslim or non-Muslim," the statement said, adding that such acts would divide Muslims "at a time ... when other nations are uniting against them."

The clerics also urged Muslims not to refer to other Muslims as "infidels." Al Qaeda often refers to the United States and other Western countries as infidels and accuses the Saudi royals of being un-Islamic and allying itself with infidels.

The statement comes amid an escalation of violence in Saudi Arabia.

On Saturday, American Kenneth Scroggs was killed in the Saudi capital Riyadh -- the third Westerner killed in attacks in the kingdom in a week.

A BBC cameraman was killed in a June 6 drive-by shooting, and Robert Jacobs, an American working for Vinnell/Arabia -- which has trained Saudi National Guard troops since 1975 -- was gunned down two days later at his Riyadh home.

Meanwhile, Saudi authorities are searching for Paul M. Johnson, an American employee of Lockheed Martin who has been missing since he was apparently kidnapped by Islamic militants on Saturday. (Full story)

Let me ask you something Raver.....do you honestly believe that this condemnation is heartfelt and genuine, or do you think there is an underlying agenda here that is obvious and completely diminishes the statements of these "former AL Qaeda" supporters.....

Don't get me wrong, I will take it.....it is better than nothing.....but the current situation dictates a "forced" and probably ineffective statement...and this is not something to jump up and down about in the name of reform...

I will be more impressed when textbooks are changed, the Friday sermons change, the funding for the madrasses end, and these statements are free-flowing, real and sustainable (not just when the royal family and their interests are attacked).

I'm very happy with this statement. I think this statement has a lot of impact, because "infidels" is often used by fundamentalist to make a discussion with people who have an another opinion, impossible.

I cannot judge peoples intention, all i can see is their actions...and yeah a saudi cleric denouncing violence sounds oxymoronish.....but lets see what these words mean....words by themselves are nothing, saudi clerics should be taking action by pointing out ppl who are extremist so that they can be dealt with.....

Let me ask you something Raver.....do you honestly believe that this condemnation is heartfelt and genuine, or do you think there is an underlying agenda here that is obvious and completely diminishes the statements of these "former AL Qaeda" supporters.....

Don't get me wrong, I will take it.....it is better than nothing.....but the current situation dictates a "forced" and probably ineffective statement...and this is not something to jump up and down about in the name of reform...

I will be more impressed when textbooks are changed, the Friday sermons change, the funding for the madrasses end, and these statements are free-flowing, real and sustainable (not just when the royal family and their interests are attacked).

I think its wishful thinking to expect any actions being taken on such hollow words....and secondly I think they are saying this cause they are under pressure from the saudi ruling family.....

Yes, it's true that they are saying this words because they under pressure from the saudi ruling family, like they often saying the things that the saudi ruling family wants to hear. And my experience is words, coming from those clerics (often dictated by the saudi ruling family), have a lot of impact.

those clerics are as crazy as the evengilst like jerry falwell and the grahams....wht u expect from crazy ppl is crazy shit....the face of all religous fundemenatlists is the same...they are all bent upon inflicting harm to humanity in general....so please stop being nieve and dont put your hopes in the hands of religous ppl.....

second of all, i keep hearing ppl asking why dont muslims apologize for wht happened on 9/11 and my opinion on this is why should some ordinary guy mohammad apologize for something he has'nt done....9/11 was done by a grp of 19 or so evil doers it is they and their patrons who are responsible for it, not anyone else and certainly not a religon or group of a billion people!

So please stop suggesting that these saudi creeps speak for anyone other than their masters....their words dont mean anything, the ordinary guy in the muslim could'nt care less about what these peeps say, the ordinay guy is only interested in putting food on his table and hopefully provide safe shelter for his family......

Yes, it's true that they are saying this words because they under pressure from the saudi ruling family, like they often saying the things that the saudi ruling family wants to hear. And my experience is words, coming from those clerics (often dictated by the saudi ruling family), have a lot of impact.

So please stop suggesting that these saudi creeps speak for anyone other than their masters....their words dont mean anything, the ordinary guy in the muslim could'nt care less about what these peeps say, the ordinay guy is only interested in putting food on his table and hopefully provide safe shelter for his family......

You're not realistic. It's a fact that the Saudi's have a big influence in the Islamic world, because of their investments in for example mosques. So that's why I'm glad with this article.

It's too simple to say that "the ordinary guy is only interested in putting food on his table".

saudi's have done shit for anything other than their own pockets, all they have done is pan anti-semtic teachings....bin laden and all his asshole followers are products of saudi "investment".....this will do nothing to the people who are crazy enough to kill innocent people, they will not listen to logic or human appeals, they are animals and should be dealt as such....these animals include the very same clerics u r talking about.....

You're not realistic. It's a fact that the Saudi's have a big influence in the Islamic world, because of their investments in for example mosques. So that's why I'm glad with this article.

It's too simple to say that "the ordinary guy is only interested in putting food on his table".

I would like to ask raver...u must be joking right???? wht a piece of bullshit...pls if u or other moslems fell for this shit doesnt mean that the rest of humans r as stupid as u r.....pls....keep it real....i agree with igloo on this one.....I am not buying on of this and until they change their entire way of living and drop their anti-semitc crap, there is no hope for such ppl..