Clubplanet Nightlife Community

attn: all dj's in nyc/long island/jersey buying records?

where do you all buy your records?? I have been spinning for about 4 years now and i havent really ventured out of satellite at all.. there HAS to be other shops in and around in the city... where do you all buy from? i cant really order offline bc my connection is too slow... and quite frankkly im tired of paying 11.99 a recor at satellite... anyone have any ideas?? thanks

where do you all buy your records?? I have been spinning for about 4 years now and i havent really ventured out of satellite at all.. there HAS to be other shops in and around in the city... where do you all buy from? i cant really order offline bc my connection is too slow... and quite frankkly im tired of paying 11.99 a recor at satellite... anyone have any ideas?? thanks

i got to deca dance on east 6th street between 2nd and 3rd ave

if u ever get a good connection use ukdancerecords.com

11.99 is standard for imports these days tho man. if you get domestics (which you should cuz its some of the hottest shit coming out...unless u spin trance) they gunna run you anywhere from 5 to 7 bucks

remember tho....satellite has a nasty selection....no other place in the city is bigger i believe. i would keep them on your shopping list cuz they always have lots of new shit and plenty of copies of the tracks. Deca has alot more underground stuff......more rare tracks too ive noticed

thanks for all the replies.. i used to spin a lot of trance but now im starting to get more into house and i've noticed satellite has a pretty big funky/disco house collection... the domestics arent bad at 5.99 or 6.99.. but when im paying 11.99 or 10.99 for vinyls im a little hesitant and sometimes i miss out on some good tracks... blah.. i guess ill just have to get high speed internet or final scratch

I buy much of my vinyl from college radio record shows in NYC and also EBAY. You find little TREASURES that way! I used to work for a dance music distribution house and that's where I aquired most of my collection. They wont sell to individuals though, you have to be a retail store. I have been buying records since I am like 7 yrs old! I still occasionally play my 45's!! Now that I spin cd's only (YUCK) I get everything online.

DecaDnace is good but you are gonna def pay more for records...

Sounds like you need high speed internet and iTunes or something..

I wish I could be cheap like you and not buy vinyl if it is expensive but im an addict..sometimes I dont pay my rent on time b/c I spent it all on vinyl!

I wish I could be cheap like you and not buy vinyl if it is expensive but im an addict..sometimes I dont pay my rent on time b/c I spent it all on vinyl!

true......I still can't get into cd's for mixing............

I know, it's like I go into a trance when I'm vinyl shopping and $$ is not an object!

I like Decadance, the prices are 3+ higher than Satellite, but it has a WAY more organized inventory, good needles and headphones and Vinnie putting fresh wax in your bin every 2 minutes. Then after you buy something you get to bullshit w/ Dennis about the old days. It's a package.

I like Satellite a lot but there is stuff on the walls there that is years old, you have to be careful, and it's kinda like a zoo.

Vinyl Mania and DanceTracks have good techno and good house, and I mean housey house, not progressive house.

And did Sonic Groove re-open someplace?

8-Ball was great, long live.

Anyone remember Wham! Records?

Yo I never understood that! Why is there only 1 turntable there? And it's like right under where Kazu or whoever is banging shit out.....

I turned to this dude who looked like the owner and I suggested to him that as a customer I would really recommend him having some turntables for listening and he said "I don't provide that service"

How does he stay in business? Especially w/ Sonic Groove going under right across the street?