Clubplanet Nightlife Community

What The Hell Is Wrong The Mets?!?!

1) They came from the Pirates & Devil Rays respectively.... Randy Johnson & Pedro Martinez would have a hard time being .500 pitchers at these places. The Mets have no intentions of these guys being their #1 & #2 starters. These guys are more like 3-5 starters and in that role they will be fine.

2) Reyes, Alfonzo, & Wiggington.... This is exactly my point. Reyes is an unknown. Let him play a full healthy season and then we can see if he'll be any good. Alfonzo is playing himself out of a job in SF, and Wiggington is a spare part, nothing more. If this is the type of talent that comes through the Mets farm system, you can understand why they're not so high on their prospects...

1) Duquette has already said on WFAN that he projects them to be #1 and 2 starters within the next 2 years...a LOT of pressure is on them.

2) Oh please - Reyes IS good now...if you can't see that you're blind...and he's only 21...don't forget about Wright either. Alfonzo before he hurt his back was one of the best 2B/3B in all of baseball putting up incredible numbers and Wiggington is playing pretty damn well and will be a 25HR/80RBI guy - not too bad of a system if you ask me.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1) Duquette has already said on WFAN that he projects them to be #1 and 2 starters within the next 2 years...a LOT of pressure is on them.

2) Oh please - Reyes IS good now...if you can't see that you're blind...and he's only 21...don't forget about Wright either. Alfonzo before he hurt his back was one of the best 2B/3B in all of baseball putting up incredible numbers and Wiggington is playing pretty damn well and will be a 25HR/80RBI guy - not too bad of a system if you ask me.

1) I didn't hear that. I think Duquette is reaching a little with that. They're both solid 3-5 guys and with a little luck, Zambrano could be a #2.

2a) How good is Reyes if he can't keep himself in the line-up?? The fact that he's 21 is no excuse. There have been other 21 year olds that have thrived in the big leagues.

2b) Wright hasn't done a thing yet. Lets wait a year or two before we put him in the Hall of Fame. There have been plenty of "can't miss" prospects who were total busts...

2c) http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/stats?statsId=5363

Fonzie had two good seasons total. The last one in 2000. Hardly enough to qualify you as the best of anything...

2d) Are you a scout?? How do you know if Wiggington will put up anything close to those kind of numbers if he's never done it before?? (FYI 25/80 for a 1B, or 3B is very ordinary)

• 3 weeks later...
Bump for Kazmir going 5 Innings and pitching 4 hit ball, while Zambrano is out for the year with an elbow injury that the Mets knew about!!

:bigfinge: to the Mets organization

C'mon now, its ridiculous to gauge this kid while playing the mariners !!- who by all accounts mailed in the season b4 the all star game. Let him pitch against a playoff contender and lets see if he doesnt get lit up !! Zambrano woulda made it back if the Mets were in contention, but why risk it ?? makes no sense, let him heal and get ready for next year... and on paper, the mets will have an awesome pitching staff next year.... one day at a time.... :)

C'mon now, its ridiculous to gauge this kid while playing the mariners !!- who by all accounts mailed in the season b4 the all star game. Let him pitch against a playoff contender and lets see if he doesnt get lit up !! Zambrano woulda made it back if the Mets were in contention, but why risk it ?? makes no sense, let him heal and get ready for next year... and on paper, the mets will have an awesome pitching staff next year.... one day at a time.... :)

Mets staff for 2005:

Glavine - OVER 40

Leiter - OVER 40

Traschel - AVERAGE

Zambrano - AVERAGE

Benson - BELOW AVERAGE

That's not a great staff by ANY means...and I want Leiter gone after the season is done - I'm sick of him bitching and moaning.

BTW - he'll be pitching against the Yankmees labor day weekend...so when lights them up and gives ur squad a game in the standings, you'll see where I'm coming from!

Mets staff for 2005:

Glavine - OVER 40

Leiter - OVER 40

Traschel - AVERAGE

Zambrano - AVERAGE

Benson - BELOW AVERAGE

That's not a great staff by ANY means...and I want Leiter gone after the season is done - I'm sick of him bitching and moaning.

BTW - he'll be pitching against the Yankmees labor day weekend...so when lights them up and gives ur squad a game in the standings, you'll see where I'm coming from!

All things considered, a pitcher is as good as the position players... you cant be a winning pitcher without run support... Zambrano had winning seasons playing for the Rays !! The mets pitchers have an unbelievable ERA... and this is mostly coz of Glavine and Leiter. And you know this too... the mets arent exactly known for their offense.... how about getting some offense 1st and not worry about the age of the starters... i thought winning was what the game is all about. If that line of thinking played any major significance, Barry Bonds and Kenny Rogers would be in a broadcasting booth or a retirement home....

In my opinion, the people that really need to haul ass outta Shea:

1: Johnny Franco- this guy must have some compromising pics of Fred Wilpon or something, he really needs to get out !! I really dont know why he still makes the roster... I know for a fact Art Howe cant stand him being in the lineup.

2: Mike Piazza (the darling of Shea) ... this guy has tanked big time(this season)... he was good for awhile, but the magic is gone..he cant throw anybody out and he sure as hell cant play 1st base !! It was good while it lasted, time to cut his ass loose.

3:J. Reyes... this kid reminds me of the current Griffey Jr., he's an injury waiting to happen... I say, wait till he's healthy in the offseason and trade his friggin ass.... you cant be a dominant player while spending more than half the season on the DL !!

4: Katz Matsui, I'm sorry, he cant play SS... I dont care what they promised him when they signed him... get him off the friggin roster !! Fucker blows more plays than a Vegas hooker !!!

There are more players who def. should haul ass... but these Fab 4 should def. hit the road.

Just my $0.02 :)

All things considered, a pitcher is as good as the position players... you cant be a winning pitcher without run support... Zambrano had winning seasons playing for the Rays !! The mets pitchers have an unbelievable ERA... and this is mostly coz of Glavine and Leiter. And you know this too... the mets arent exactly known for their offense.... how about getting some offense 1st and not worry about the age of the starters... i thought winning was what the game is all about. If that line of thinking played any major significance, Barry Bonds and Kenny Rogers would be in a broadcasting booth or a retirement home....

In my opinion, the people that really need to haul ass outta Shea:

1: Johnny Franco- this guy must have some compromising pics of Fred Wilpon or something, he really needs to get out !! I really dont know why he still makes the roster... I know for a fact Art Howe cant stand him being in the lineup.

2: Mike Piazza (the darling of Shea) ... this guy has tanked big time(this season)... he was good for awhile, but the magic is gone..he cant throw anybody out and he sure as hell cant play 1st base !! It was good while it lasted, time to cut his ass loose.

3:J. Reyes... this kid reminds me of the current Griffey Jr., he's an injury waiting to happen... I say, wait till he's healthy in the offseason and trade his friggin ass.... you cant be a dominant player while spending more than half the season on the DL !!

4: Katz Matsui, I'm sorry, he cant play SS... I dont care what they promised him when they signed him... get him off the friggin roster !! Fucker blows more plays than a Vegas hooker !!!

There are more players who def. should haul ass... but these Fab 4 should def. hit the road.

Just my $0.02 :)

I agree with you on 3 out of the 4...I still think Reyes can reduce the injuries dramatically if he finds the right workout.

The other 3 need to go...especially Matsui!!

The thing about Leiter and Glavine I'm worried about, especially IF (hahahah) we contend, that they'll breakdown late in Sept because they're OLD!! Pitching wins championships...if they could've kept Kazmir and trade the prospects to get Zito - THAT would make sense.

Now were stuck with this shit again next year - another 70 win season!

I agree with you on 3 out of the 4...I still think Reyes can reduce the injuries dramatically if he finds the right workout.

The other 3 need to go...especially Matsui!!

The thing about Leiter and Glavine I'm worried about, especially IF (hahahah) we contend, that they'll breakdown late in Sept because they're OLD!! Pitching wins championships...if they could've kept Kazmir and trade the prospects to get Zito - THAT would make sense.

Now were stuck with this shit again next year - another 70 win season!

They say great players have great mentors..(altho they rarely get the props)..what do you think of Peterson ?.... I know he's catching alot of flak,...but he did a great job out west..... I think given time, he'll mold zambrano into a stellar pitcher.

Kazmir seems to be on a good track....Peterson seems to think he still has ways to go... its all opinionistic at this point... Peterson would never have drafted a HS kid... so, if his credentials are anything to measure up to... I guess Kazmir being traded to the rays wasnt so bad in the short term. But then again, how many mets prospects have tanked lately?... i cant remember his name, but 3 weeks ago one of the mets projected stars got cut!!

If the Mets keep/sign their newly aquired pitchers, i see a good team on display next year...but at the same token, i think Art Howe is too mellow to manage a NY team... too bad the Mets lost on the Lou Pinella sweepstakes, he coulda made a championship team on the current roster..... i say this coz Hal had almost a similar team, but he was too temperamental to handle a AA-class team.

the great peterson.......i dont see the oakland falling apart without him.....if he is such a great pitching coach why hasnt heilman or yates or seo for that matter done anything with him as there coach........too overrated in my book

the great peterson.......i dont see the oakland falling apart without him.....if he is such a great pitching coach why hasnt heilman or yates or seo for that matter done anything with him as there coach........too overrated in my book

In 100% agreement!!!

....I have nothing to add except what can I say, another garbage year although I wasn't really expecting them to win the World Series or anything to begin with but as of right now I'm not to enthused about next year either...there has to be changes made somewhere or like Spragga said earlier we will just be a 70 win team down the road.

**yawn**

The Mets need to start from the ground and build their team up from scratch. They were kind of on the right path at the beginning of the season and they got back to their old ways of trading all their good talent for a bunch of guys past their prime. reyes needs to be put back to his natural position where he outperforms Kaz, end of story.

I wonder what smallmembername has to say now that his team is more pathetic then having a hooker say she wants to take it slow. hmmmmmm