Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Nancy Reagan Strongly Endorses George Bush

obby

Exclusive: Nancy Reagan Strongly Endorses George Bush

Breaking from NewsMax.com

In a statement made Monday to NewsMax.com, Nancy Reagan said she is strongly endorsing George W. Bush's re-election and categorically denied a published Internet report that said she was not backing his run for a second term.

Joanne Drake, the chief of staff for former President Reagan's office in Los Angeles, said in a statement on behalf of the former first lady, "Mrs. Reagan supports President Bush's re-election 150 percent."

Published reports have suggested that Mrs. Reagan was unhappy with President Bush for his strong opposition to stem cell research, which Mrs. Reagan has supported after her husband's long bout with Alzheimer's disease.

Mrs. Reagan's son Ron spoke last week at the Democratic National Convention. Young Ron indicated his mother supported his speech and that she was unhappy with the Bush administration for opposing embryonic stem cell research.

Ron Reagan also gave an implicit endorsement to the Kerry-Edwards ticket, which supports that type of stem cell research, when he told his national audience, "Whatever else you do come Nov. 2, I urge you, please, cast a vote for embryonic stem cell research."

Drake, however, noted in her statement on behalf of Mrs. Reagan, "I think everyone would understand that while she may not agree with the president on every issue, this campaign is more than just one issue - it's about leadership and she believes that President Bush is the right man for the job."

Mrs. Reagan's statement came on the heels of a July 30th report published on the Web site capitolhillblue.com.

The Web report, headlined "Nancy Reagan to Bush: 'We Don't Support Your Re-Election,'" quoted a "spokesman" for Mrs. Reagan as telling the site, "Mrs. Reagan does not support President Bush's re-election and neither do most members of the President's family."

Drake also denied the Web site's claim that Mrs. Reagan told Republican leaders she wants nothing to do with the party or President Bush, or that she "went ballistic" when she learned the Bush campaign was test marketing new ads that used Reagan's photos and speeches in an effort to show he supported Bush and his re-election.

Capitolhillblue.com also claimed that Mrs. Reagan personally called Republican Party Chief Ed Gillespie to demand the ads be destroyed.

"The quote that appeared in Capitol Hill Blue is incorrect," Drake said on behalf of Mrs. Reagan. "Further, I do not know where the information came from [indicating that] the former first lady went ballistic when she read the Bush campaign was test marketing new ads. She did not speak to Ed Gillespie on the telephone and demand the ads be destroyed..."

By endorsing President Bush's re-election, Mrs. Reagan joins President Reagan's eldest son Michael, who had already announced his strong support for the president. Michael will also be speaking at the upcoming GOP convention in New York.

www.newsmax.com

as I stated it was odd no wire service or major network had a copy of the statement, at the time you made your post. hence the legitimate question of creditability. the story hit the wires and networks yesterday.:) I'm sure you feel all warm and cuddly inside, now that you can legitimize your post.

Like I said, it's like we are both looking at a cup of coffee but you insist on calling it a soccer ball.

Your absolutely right !!! ,,but there's a difference, I know how to disagree while you get a lil too intense/personal in your responses ...

......feeding my suspicions even more of you having some internal issues you should deal with in PERSONA , rather than on a messageboard .

No ones bitter that Ron regan junior is a liberal he's been a liberal since his father was president that's no secret. Being probably the most popular first lady since elenor roosevelt I think she has alot of sway in public opinon and has a very strog voice to lend to issues. if she didn't have any pull why would the press be covering it.

Being probably the most popular first lady since elenor roosevelt I think she has alot of sway in public opinon and has a very strog voice to lend to issues. if she didn't have any pull why would the press be covering it.

Yeah ok

She has been out of the public eye since RR became sick.

The press is covering it b/c she is ronald regans wife the father of modern day conservatism.