Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Edgar Martinez retires

bxbomb

Nice career Edgar had, HE was a Yankee killer..

And a good argument for The DH ...guys like this wouldnt have stuck around the past 6-7 years without it

Edgar only DH to win a batting title

FOXSports.com

Posted: 2 minutes ago

Edgar Martinez has called a news conference for later Monday at Safeco Field in Seattle, where he will announce his retirement, Sporting News' Ken Rosenthal has confirmed.

Sources in Seattle are saying Martinez will retire at the end of the year. But the possibility remains that the 41-year-old designated hitter could make his exit immediately.

Martinez is batting .258 and has seen his playing time reduced with the arrival of Bucky Jacobsen from Tacoma.

Bless the guy.. let's see if he's got what it takes to make it to the H.O.F.

hate to sound like a wet blanket..... but i have a problem with someone who put up great #s as a DH as opposed to being a position player.... having two leagues with some differences and having one league get the graces to send one to the HOF. Given, Eddy had a good career... his #s as a position player are average, i honestly dont think he should be in the HOF... if anyone can make a legit argument that he trully deserves to be there... then lets make it a fair playground, let the pinch hitters in the NL get a piece of the action...its only fair !!! Bernie Williams woulda been a legend in his own terms if he had been a DH most of his career..... not a good measuring stick IMO :)

hate to sound like a wet blanket..... but i have a problem with someone who put up great #s as a DH as opposed to being a position player.... having two leagues with some differences and having one league get the graces to send one to the HOF. Given, Eddy had a good career... his #s as a position player are average, i honestly dont think he should be in the HOF... if anyone can make a legit argument that he trully deserves to be there... then lets make it a fair playground, let the pinch hitters in the NL get a piece of the action...its only fair !!! Bernie Williams woulda been a legend in his own terms if he had been a DH most of his career..... not a good measuring stick IMO :)

the american league has made the DH a position and so it has to be considered , PInch HItter is NOT a position , it is a choice/option a team can use.

how are his numbers "average" as a position player? . for a 7 -10year stretch he was one of the most feared hitters in all of baseball.

He won 2 batting titles , led the league in on base% 2x,doubles 2x,runs/rbi 1x total bases 3x all as a RIGHTY ....one of the top right handed hitters of all time.

and heres some cut n paste for ya max:

He is one of 17 players in history with at least a .300 batting average, .400 on-base percentage and .500 slugging percentage. Thirteen of the 14 retired players in that category — all but the banned Shoeless Joe Jackson — are in the Hall.

Martinez is also one of six players to have at least a .300 average, .400 on-base percentage, 500 doubles, 300 homers and 1,000 walks. The other five — Stan Musial, Rogers Hornsby, Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig and Ted Williams — are in the Hall.

the american league has made the DH a position and so it has to be considered , PInch HItter is NOT a position , it is a choice/option a team can use.

how are his numbers "average" as a position player? . for a 7 -10year stretch he was one of the most feared hitters in all of baseball.

He won 2 batting titles , led the league in on base% 2x,doubles 2x,runs/rbi 1x total bases 3x all as a RIGHTY ....one of the top right handed hitters of all time.

and heres some cut n paste for ya max:

He is one of 17 players in history with at least a .300 batting average, .400 on-base percentage and .500 slugging percentage. Thirteen of the 14 retired players in that category — all but the banned Shoeless Joe Jackson — are in the Hall.

Martinez is also one of six players to have at least a .300 average, .400 on-base percentage, 500 doubles, 300 homers and 1,000 walks. The other five — Stan Musial, Rogers Hornsby, Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig and Ted Williams — are in the Hall.

Everything looks good on paper... now, in this case, those #s you posted are skewed... they include his pre-DH and the prolific DH campaign !! Separate his pre DH and current DH #s..the guy aint got a prayer of making the HOF. If he does, i'll bet you it will be posthumously. And if he makes it in there, like i said, the NL pinch hitters (even tho its not a position) do just about the same thing as the DHs in AL !! And dont forget the NL pitchers are on the batting list !! i dont see them get any extra credit for it.... It seems we are comparing apples n oranges...

Everything looks good on paper... now, in this case, those #s you posted are skewed... they include his pre-DH and the prolific DH campaign !! Separate his pre DH and current DH #s..the guy aint got a prayer of making the HOF.

Take a look at one of the great hitters in the HOF... Mickey Mantle. Compare his last four years playing baseball to the rest of his career... that's why players are rated lifetime on their average. Undoubtebly, Edgar Martinez was down right nasty and one of the most feared batters in baseball from the mid to late 90's. Edgar's numbers speak for themself...

And if he makes it in there, like i said, the NL pinch hitters (even tho its not a position) do just about the same thing as the DHs in AL !! And dont forget the NL pitchers are on the batting list !! i dont see them get any extra credit for it.... It seems we are comparing apples n oranges...

Max - how many "at bats" does a pinch hitter get lifetime versus an AL DH batter (DAILY PLAYER)? Matter of fact, find me one NL pinch hitter out there with half the "at bats" as Edgar Martinez lifetime and then you might have an arguement... there is none though. Remember, you don't get into the HOF with 500 "at bats" but rather - many.

Everything looks good on paper... now, in this case, those #s you posted are skewed... they include his pre-DH and the prolific DH campaign !! Separate his pre DH and current DH #s..the guy aint got a prayer of making the HOF. If he does, i'll bet you it will be posthumously. And if he makes it in there, like i said, the NL pinch hitters (even tho its not a position) do just about the same thing as the DHs in AL !! And dont forget the NL pitchers are on the batting list !! i dont see them get any extra credit for it.... It seems we are comparing apples n oranges...

Pinch hitters and designated hitters are two different things. Whether you like it or not, DH IS a position on the roster that every AL manager fills in everyday.

not sure where u got this info, but according to MLB.com, barry has 440on base%, 300 batting avg, 556 doubles, 692 homers, and 2244 walks. perhaps the statistician fucked up, or maybe he just forgot who barry bonds is. :huh:

all well above or on with the guidelines u provided before.

not sure where u got this info, but according to MLB.com, barry has 440on base%, 300 batting avg, 556 doubles, 692 homers, and 2244 walks. perhaps the statistician fucked up, or maybe he just forgot who barry bonds is. :huh:

all well above or on with the guidelines u provided before.

I'm not sure, but I think he might have just been referring to the ball players who were retired.