Clubplanet Nightlife Community

I'm looking to cut a vinyl one-off

djmikedr

You can get an acetate one off press for around $50 but it will only last about 40-50 plays. Some places will do testpress run of 10 copys of vinyl for $300. 8 Minutes is the longest you want to go on one side for max sound quality........

thats the one Im thinking. I can do the 40 plays but 8 minutes per side thats it?

I could have sworn I saw a 15-20 minutes record time somewhere.

You can go up to 16 or so minutes..but remember the longer the track, the thinner the grooves are. Thinner the grooves...the more you suffer on sound quality and output.

Bass heavy tracks such as house and techno need wide grooves for optimum sound levels.

Thats why an lp cut of a track always sounds lower than a 12" single of the same track.

$10,000 and around $10 for a blank to cut on. You can get a few test pressings for under $50 at most commercial pressing places.

So if you're gonna press 1,000 records and sell them for $20 each, then you will break even ,if the thing doesnt break before that. Plus you have to buy the cutting heads from vestax. This is a consumer product , not professional.

If you dont have a studio to master on, its gonna sound like crap. You cant just bang out a track on acid or soundforge and press it to vinyl. Vinyl pressing is not like cd pressing. You cant just go from digital to analog without mastering. You can boost the treble on a cd all you want, on vinyl it will just distort. Don't even try pressing to vinyl without a compressor/limiter.

This thing will be extinct in a year and you wont be able to buy blanks or cutting heads.