Clubplanet Nightlife Community

If you had a probelm with a drug.....

NOT IN USE

don't do it. For your own sake and those that care about you, don't. It's not worth it. I know how you feel, hell I've been wanting to too!! I'm thinking towards the future and I know drugs will only hold me back...

i wasnt talking about myself.....just more in generalities and to make conversation

Do you think if a person[[[[[[ had a problem]]]]]] with a drug, stopped then after a few months or years wanted to do it again in moderation.they could...

my .02

NO. The fact that it got to be a problem indicates that this person knows no bounderies and the word moderation is not in their vocabulary to begin with.

Many try drugs, and many continue to use drugs...while they are functioning "normally" in daily activities. Addicts...whether itz and addiction to drugs, sex, gambling, smoking, whatever...are addicts and self-control is never displayed appropriately.

You could factor in whether it was a physical (heroin) or psychological (tina) addiction, think about how strong of a person you are/were, why it became a problem before and why it wouldn't now... some people get away with it, but you have to weigh whether the threat of relapsing is worth an occasional high.

once you cannot function to the point that you have to stop and change your life you have gone through some sort of personality change already and are no longer the same person as when you began doing the drugs. there is a vulnerability there now that you have to protect like a child. its good to take breaks. i do. we all should. and that vulnerable part of you that you are now more aware of can be a tremendous well of stregnth...this is not to you personally-i use the *you* as a general term...but i think no. when you decide to stop=its not healthy to go back to visit. i hate ppl who say *oh man, i shouldnt do this, this is bad* while they are getting high. i cant get high with them. if you aint ok with what you are doing then dont do it. that shit sucks.

I think it matters how bad the addiction was in the first place.

Not doing anything is a reward for self control. I know someone who won’t even eat those little chocolates if there is alcohol inside them. I think that if they try even just a little it would make them feel like they failed in a way and then would go downhill.

I don’t think it is worth the risk.

I have to disagree with you all .... you have to look at what it was that got you addicted in the first place.... you were seeking something that was missing from your life or you were escaping the horrors of your everyday life.... If you can overcome the reason for the addiction I think its possible to use certain drugs... I say certain drugs because most of them are physically addictive and no counseling in the world will ever reverse that addiction... I was a freebase junkie (not crack, real base)... it almost ruined me..people fronted me stuff to sell and i would smoke it all away... in and out of rehab many times..... rehab DOES NOT WORK unless you believe all of the religious nonsense they try to brainwash into you.... I havent based in over 7 years completely by choice.... but I still do a few lines on the weekends and drink socially and smoke weed relgularly whenever I feel the urge.... None of these activities has had any negative impact on my life whatsoever.... I attribute it to the people I'm surrounded by and the fact that I actually have alot more to lose than I did back then. If there's such a thing a social drinker, why not a social drug user? Why do people find it perfectly aqcceptable to go out drinking till you puke and it's taboo to smoke a joint or do a line in certain circles?

Why do people find it perfectly aqcceptable to go out drinking till you puke and it's taboo to smoke a joint or do a line in certain circles?

It's not "perfectly acceptable" to go out drinking until you puke. It's just tolarated more. A lot of people "grow out" of the binge drinking, college party, bar hopping, club smashing phases, some don't. Some carry the addiction all the way jails, institutions and death.

And for the "religious stuff" in rehabs, try it as "spiritual stuff" instead. None of the NA/AA literature is religion biased. It is spiritualy based. If is was religious, I don't think I would be sober today.

It also says in the big book AA, Chapter 3. MORE ABOUT ALCOHOLISM page 31 "If anyone who is showing inability to control his drinking can do the right-about-face and drink like a gentleman, our hats are off to him."

It's not "perfectly acceptable" to go out drinking until you puke. It's just tolarated more. A lot of people "grow out" of the binge drinking, college party, bar hopping, club smashing phases, some don't. Some carry the addiction all the way jails, institutions and death.

And for the "religious stuff" in rehabs, try it as "spiritual stuff" instead. None of the NA/AA literature is religion biased. It is spiritualy based. If is was religious, I don't think I would be sober today.

It also says in the big book AA, Chapter 3. MORE ABOUT ALCOHOLISM page 31 "If anyone who is showing inability to control his drinking can do the right-about-face and drink like a gentleman, our hats are off to him."

truly- an intellegent voice in the forum- bravo bravo bravo-

Answer me one question.Do you feel it's acceptable to be a social drinker?

I must caveat my first reply and say... People in a society have established thier own social settings. So, if your social envirnment is binge drinking and drinking until you puke, you have established your very own social setting and it is acceptable within those boundries. But is it really acceptable? Or do you just think it's acceptable?

Now, what is social drinking? (I love webster's)

Main Entry: social drinker

Function: noun

: a person who drinks alcoholic beverages in moderation at social gatherings especially as distinguished from one who drinks habitually or to excess

(If you drink alone, you're not a social drinker!)

Main Entry: 1mod·er·ate

Function: adjective

1 a : avoiding extremes of behavior or expression : observing reasonable limits <a moderate drinker> b : CALM, TEMPERATE

Main Entry: rea·son·able

Pronunciation: 'rEz-n&-b&l, 'rE-z&n-&-b&l

Function: adjective

1 a : being in accordance with reason <a reasonable theory> b : not extreme or excessive <reasonable requests>

So if you read this, you will see that a social drinker is someone who avoids the extreme. Well, what does "extreme" mean? TOO MUCH! For some, too much is 2-3, some 4-6, and for those like me, I'm still socially drinking at around the 2,346 mark.

Some social drinkers drink too much sometimes. Some social drinkers drink too much all the time and are no longer social drinkers. If you drink to get drunk, it's not social. If you start out drinking socially and get drunk, it's not social.

1. social drinking is legal.

2. social drinking is not for getting "fucked up"

3. I've never known anyone who "socially smokes crack"

1. Legality is irrelevant..This is a discussion of social acceptability... 18 million people in this country smoke pot... and our government all but invites drug traffickers to bring the products into our ports.

I'm not going to get into a whole discussion on geopolitical corruption but lets just say that our government allows certain drug producers to flood our country in exchange for "favors" and "Intelligence"

Aside from that , what i do in the privacy of my home is my business.

2: If social drinking isn't for getting "fucked up" than what is the intent? Why the alchohol? Why not sit at a bar with your buddies and have a few pints of club soda, or a couble of shots or spring water..... Don't be ridiculous..

3. I've never known anyone who socially smokes crack...I'll let you in on a secret.. I don't even know anyone who smokes crack..... I know plenty of people who smoke pot socially ... eat shrooms.... do a line or two at a party....My point is not every person who drinks is an alchoholic so why are you implying that everyone who "uses" drugs is a junkie?

1. Legality is irrelevant..This is a discussion of social acceptability... 18 million people in this country smoke pot... and our government all but invites drug traffickers to bring the products into our ports.

I'm not going to get into a whole discussion on geopolitical corruption but lets just say that our government allows certain drug producers to flood our country in exchange for "favors" and "Intelligence"

Aside from that , what i do in the privacy of my home is my business.

2: If social drinking isn't for getting "fucked up" than what is the intent? Why the alchohol? Why not sit at a bar with your buddies and have a few pints of club soda, or a couble of shots or spring water..... Don't be ridiculous..

3. I've never known anyone who socially smokes crack...I'll let you in on a secret.. I don't even know anyone who smokes crack..... I know plenty of people who smoke pot socially ... eat shrooms.... do a line or two at a party....My point is not every person who drinks is an alchoholic so why are you implying that everyone who "uses" drugs is a junkie?

Legality is relevant! The reasons why it is illegal is because it is socially unacceptable (and other reasons). Therefor negating all aspects of "social drug use."

If social drinking isn't for getting "fucked up" than what is the intent? Think about what you just typed. If you are drinking to get fucked up - that's alcohol abuse. Social drinking, believe it or not, is not getting drunk. Something I wish I knew a log time ago. If you are drinking to get drunk that, believe it or not, is alcoholic drinking. And I agree with you, not everyone that drinks is an alcoholic. Not everyone that uses is an addict.

You can take it how you want. If you can use cocaine at parties and social events and be ok with it, fine keep doing it. I really don't give a fuck about your drug or drinking use. I know that mine got out of hand, and the whole time I kept telling myself I was only a social user/drinker. It's not how much I did, it's what it did to me while I was doing it.

Why not sit at a bar with your buddies and have a few pints of club soda, or a couble of shots or spring water.. Yeah, Why not. If you HAVE to drink to be social, you're not being social.