Clubplanet Nightlife Community

question about stereo electrical system..

oldtimer

i just bought a jeep grand cherokee limited used... but the cd player is busted... i want to upgrade to a cd/mp3 player but then im scared i might not be able to use the steering wheel radio controls... should i just buy a used jeep (infinity) head unit so i dont have to sacrfice the steering control or can i upgrade and keep the steering controls???

thanks... any help is appreciated...

i just bought a jeep grand cherokee limited used... but the cd player is busted... i want to upgrade to a cd/mp3 player but then im scared i might not be able to use the steering wheel radio controls... should i just buy a used jeep (infinity) head unit so i dont have to sacrfice the steering control or can i upgrade and keep the steering controls???

thanks... any help is appreciated...

I have a Grand Cherokee too and I'm almost pretty sure that those factory controls for the radio are not compatible with any aftermarket radios.

You can however get an aftermarket radio that comes with it's own steering wheel mounted remote if you wish. Most likely won't look at clean and stealthy as the stock setup though.

But like you said, your other option would be to find a used stock infinity unit. Most likely you'll get charged an arm and a leg for it though.

Guest brwneydtrouble
Schoshe makes an aftermarket adapter for cars with steering wheel controls. It's a pain in the ass to install. Your best bet is to bring it somewhere and have a shop do it. :bounce:

Yup I had that problem when I was considering upgrading the crappy stock S2000 stereo.

I have a Grand Cherokee too and I'm almost pretty sure that those factory controls for the radio are not compatible with any aftermarket radios.

You can however get an aftermarket radio that comes with it's own steering wheel mounted remote if you wish. Most likely won't look at clean and stealthy as the stock setup though.

But like you said, your other option would be to find a used stock infinity unit. Most likely you'll get charged an arm and a leg for it though.

thanks for the input everybody..

i called crutchfield and they had some kind of adapter for 80 bucks.. i think i'd rather just go buy a replacement stock unit with a properly functioning cd player and just upgrade to a cd changer for my mp3's and possibly xm... i love those fucking steering wheel stereo controls and the thought of buying a new headunit and then dropping another 85 hurts..