Clubplanet Nightlife Community

NY question

iamme

depends where u wanna live nadim....

if u wanna live in washington hights (the nice section) u will need an income of 40k a year IMO....to live comfortable...

keep in mind that washington hights aint all that nice but the area by ft. washington is not bad...

now if u talking bout williamsburg in BK, its a "trendy" popular area right now so u would need to make some decent cash...

im sure u know the deal with the village and manhattan....$$$$$$

and no u dont really need a car....if u work outside of the city...then yea..

gotcha. my friend got a job there right out of college makin' $55k. she lives in Queens in a 2 bedroom and works downtown (midtown?) and said she was "comfrotable" but couldnt really save anything. im supposed to visit her in November to catch up and check out NY...still dreamin here. nonetheless, the suburbs are death.

comfortable = cover bills, able to go out 2-3 nights a week (probably 2 times), savings would be great but unlikely (helps if i get rid of my $400 car payment).

need to be around energy, young people, and an interesting city. and work experience in NY is respected around the world....

comfortable = cover bills, able to go out 2-3 nights a week (probably 2 times), savings would be great but unlikely (helps if i get rid of my $400 car payment).

need to be around energy, young people, and an interesting city. and work experience in NY is respected around the world....

goin out 2 - 3 nights a week ..how much do you spend when you go out??

and if you were to live in NY or 5 boro's i def get rid of the car if u wanna save money..

you could def pull it off with only 40k a year..but i doubt youd find a place in manhattan..queens or brooklyn is def a possibility...

besides queens has some really really nice areas to live in

i think manhattan is mostly ruled out because of the standard of living...unless i get super lucky...which is damn unlikely given my track record with the wh0re known as Lady Luck :gang:

on average when i go out ill spend like $30-60. obviously there are exceptions. ill be more careful once i live on my own, but since im with the parents i dont give a sh!t...

not too pressed to have a car at the moment so id be glad to get rid of it. you're still in CT right?? thanks for the input btw.

i think manhattan is mostly ruled out because of the standard of living...unless i get super lucky...which is damn unlikely given my track record with the wh0re known as Lady Luck :gang:

on average when i go out ill spend like $30-60. obviously there are exceptions. ill be more careful once i live on my own, but since im with the parents i dont give a sh!t...

not too pressed to have a car at the moment so id be glad to get rid of it. you're still in CT right?? thanks for the input btw.

Astoria, Queens

gotcha. my friend got a job there right out of college makin' $55k. she lives in Queens in a 2 bedroom and works downtown (midtown?) and said she was "comfrotable" but couldnt really save anything. im supposed to visit her in November to catch up and check out NY...still dreamin here. nonetheless, the suburbs are death.

If you are not saving. You are not living comfortable.

Smoke - I dont get how you figure 40k is comfortable in NY... Anywhere in NY. That is around where I started when I got into Con Ed and things were rough back than. I was not comfortable.

Iamme - Dont take a womens comfort as your own. A woman making $55k is like a guy making $60k. Think about it. And ladies this is not a sexist comment and I know not all have it like this. But any lady friends or significant others do not pay for drinks or dinners, movies when we are out. Therefore cost of living may be a little lower. So honestly I would ask her how much she actually spends monthly on Food Exp, Entertainment Exp, Bills, etc... etc...

At a 40k income you are taking home as a single person approx $25k give or take either way.

A few Estimates

Rent - $700month x 12months = $8400 that is cheap rent on a 1 bedroom.

Transport = $84month Metro Card ( If you get rid of car and fare hike ) $1008

Food = $200month x 12months = $2400

Entertainment = $400month x 12months = $4800

Utilities = $300month x 12months = $3600

Cell = $40month x 12months = $480

Laundry = $80month x 12months = $960

Clothes = If you only spend $1,000

These things alone add up to - $22,648

There are many more expenses like gifts, dates, household needs...

Maybe I over shot on some of them. I also underscored on some ofthem as well. But I am just trying to show how quickly things add up. Budgeting is key. Without a budget you are not going to make it. Try to put together a budget, weed out things you really dont need, make sure you have room for fun.

If you are not saving. You are not living comfortable.

Smoke - I dont get how you figure 40k is comfortable in NY... Anywhere in NY. That is around where I started when I got into Con Ed and things were rough back than. I was not comfortable.

Iamme - Dont take a womens comfort as your own. A woman making $55k is like a guy making $60k. Think about it. And ladies this is not a sexist comment and I know not all have it like this. But any lady friends or significant others do not pay for drinks or dinners, movies when we are out. Therefore cost of living may be a little lower. So honestly I would ask her how much she actually spends monthly on Food Exp, Entertainment Exp, Bills, etc... etc...

At a 40k income you are taking home as a single person approx $25k give or take either way.

A few Estimates

Rent - $700month x 12months = $8400 that is cheap rent on a 1 bedroom.

Transport = $84month Metro Card ( If you get rid of car and fare hike ) $1008

Food = $200month x 12months = $2400

Entertainment = $400month x 12months = $4800

Utilities = $300month x 12months = $3600

Cell = $40month x 12months = $480

Laundry = $80month x 12months = $960

Clothes = If you only spend $1,000

These things alone add up to - $22,648

There are many more expenses like gifts, dates, household needs...

Maybe I over shot on some of them. I also underscored on some ofthem as well. But I am just trying to show how quickly things add up. Budgeting is key. Without a budget you are not going to make it. Try to put together a budget, weed out things you really dont need, make sure you have room for fun.

never said 40k is comfortable...

heck if i wanted to live comfortabl..id have to make a six figure salary

everyone has their own idea of comfort..

but i'd defineatly say no less than 40K..

and you def do not need a car

i make less than that and i live in woodside queens

Iamme, it all depends where u want to live. NYC is the top tier, and you'd need at least 50-60 G's

Brooklyn/Queens nice areas (park slope, williamsburg, woodside/sunnyside/LIC) you can get by from $35-45//yr

you really don't need a car. I had one but got rid of it b/c it's more of a hassle than a convenience

PS-- the most ideal situation is to get a 2-3BR with roomates.

I only pay $475 a month ($1600 3 BR in a nice quiet area in woodside, queens. About 15 min. subway/car ride from NYC)

We share the cable/internet ($150 / 3 - $50 each)

energy/AC/hot water comes to about $65 per month per person

So If i were you, i'd DEF> room with a roomate ;)

what happened with grad school?

im hesitant about it again...mainly cuz id like to have an idea of what career i would like to pursue before i start the program. i havent really had any experience that has helped me narrow it down :half:

im hesitant about it again...mainly cuz id like to have an idea of what career i would like to pursue before i start the program. i havent really had any experience that has helped me narrow it down :half:

in the same boat dude..

:(

at least if u move to NYC...we can discuss our futures over a latte