Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Building Booth/Floating Turntable question?

daillestmattyg

I'm in the process of buidling my own DJ booth to house my equipment. I decided to do this project myself to save money and get it done right.(if I happen to mess up I can only blame myself haha) Anyways I am curious on how to float the turntable so it does not skip. Many told me there is no need to do this unless your in a club but I think I do need to because they way I have my speakers suspended will rattle the walls and may rattle the turntables. Any help/comments/feedback appreciated. Thanks

Matt

I'm in the process of buidling my own DJ booth to house my equipment. I decided to do this project myself to save money and get it done right.(if I happen to mess up I can only blame myself haha) Anyways I am curious on how to float the turntable so it does not skip. Many told me there is no need to do this unless your in a club but I think I do need to because they way I have my speakers suspended will rattle the walls and may rattle the turntables. Any help/comments/feedback appreciated. Thanks

Matt

Many people do it with strong rubber bands. I will try to find one where it is done and post it on here.

I found this on another site where another DJ explains how to do it...

The suspended turntable idea is pretty much the standard isolation technique in nyc dating back many years. Basically the easiest way to do this is to make a "carriage" (made out of 3/4" ply with sides) the size of the footprint of the turntable. Then cut out the countertop with about an additional 1/2" around the dimensions of the turntable.

Go out and buy a box of the real thick industrial rubber bands. You screw in metal loop hooks, 1 in the middle on each side of the turntable carriage, and then you connect rubber bands to points attached to the countertop underneath. You want to put a bunch of rubberbands on each hook and you keep adding till you get the tension loose enough where you have no vibrations. The installs I've done, we've built a "box" around the cutout that drops down about 4 inches or so, and then screwed 2 loop hooks on each side, and they are each connected by rubberbands to the 1 hook on each side of the turntable carriage. You place the turntable ontop of the "floating" carriage, once its all done and tada, vibration isolated turntables.

It's a little hard to explain, but it's really easy to implement. AND, it WORKS 100% and looks very cool when finished. You can also sink the turntables into the countertop, throw down some laminate, and you have a really professional looking console.

Most likely shorty or one of the other tech guys can explain it better, but if I can help, drop me an email...

Here is how someone else did it.

Here's a good cheap solution for your problem that's similar to the gel pads mentioned above...

Go out to a medical supply store and buy 4 hot water bottles for each table... yup, those red things your grandmother used...

Fill each one about 2/3 full... enough so that the table foot will sit on it flat but not displace the water out enough so that it will touch the surface beneath...

Place on under each foot (I've found that angling them into the center works best)...

The inch or so of water will kill the subharmonic vibrations from the subwoofers and they'll isolate the turntable from other vibrations such as kicks to the table they're sitting on...

I think that if you're gonna invest alot then go w/ Adam's permanent solution... but if you're just looking for a way to make the situation work for you when you play then this might be a good one for you...

Just so you know, I read about this on a website written by a sound technician who was looking for a solution that didn't involved a permanent rubber band suspension system (I forget the reason... maybe it was a mobile operation or something)... I've tried it myself and they eliminated ALL registering feedback that was showing up in the level meter on a Pioneer 600...

Something else to remember is that vibrations will travel through your body and into the turntable so you should try to put some industrial foam pads on the floor as well.

The first guy in elementX's post is how most clubs do it!

When we bought our original dj console for Nation it came with holes in top and un-attached platters for the turntables to sit on. In each corner of the platters you put a metal Eye-Hook, and the same underneath the console tuntable cutout. Get a few packages of heavy duty rubberbands and keep looping them on the hooks till it meets your preference! Some DJ's like it stiff and some like it a little more flimsy, but every 2 months or so replace the the old rubberbands with new ones.

On a side note don't face any of your speakers, or montiors directly at your turntables they will feedback and lead to very poor sound quality!

The one I have here is done with bicycle innertubes which are a little taughter than rubber bands and don't stretch out over time, and they are pretty inexpensive as well. You take one inner tube and cut it into four equal length pieces and screw these down with washers at each corner creating a cross section where each leg of the turntable fits into.

Massi

www.massi.com