Clubplanet Nightlife Community

new york bans Holyfield

bxbomb

new york boxing/athletic commission has revoked /banned evander holyfield from boxing any more

saying he could hurt himself , his skills have eroded so bad its pathetic watching him box now

BUt the question is does the state have the right to do this?

whadya think?

NEW YORK (AP) - Evander Holyfield was suspended indefinitely by New York boxing officials in the wake of his loss Saturday night to journeyman Larry Donald.

Ron Stevens, chairman of the New York State Athletic Commission, told the New York Daily News on Monday that Holyfield was suspended because "to my practiced mind, Holyfield shouldn't be fighting anymore. It's the responsibility of the state athletic commission to save a boxer from himself."

The 42-year-old former four-time heavyweight champion will have to seek medical clearance if he wants to fight again.

After losing a lopsided decision to Donald, Holyfield said he still plans to fight. Holyfield won only one round on one scorecard and two on the other two in the 12-round fight.

Holyfield has won two of his last nine fights, and took a beating a year ago from James Toney. Donald didn't hurt him, but Holyfield landed only 78 punches over 12 rounds, according to ringside statistics compiled by Compubox.

Holyfield said that the New York State Athletic Commission was involved in a "conspiracy" to get him out of boxing and that he would contest the ban.

It's a good move...hope other states will follow. He's saved so much damn money - why waste it by being turned into a Vegetable! lol

He should retire and design a grill

i agree ,but hte question posed is does the state have the right , there is age discrimination issues, the medical facts that you could be turned into a veggie getting punched at age 25 or 45 so where do you draw the line

evander has a case , just wish he wouldnt pursue it and yeh make a better grill than george forman

I think they're doing more to avoid getting the shit sued outta if something actually happened in the future...cover their asses. Even if they reverse the ban, Holyfield fights again and gets severely injured and he tries to sue them...the comission can always come back to that and say "look, we tried to ban him and prevent this"

We'll see though

Usually when one state bans you the others support that state by unofficially banning you as well. If you saw his last fight, you'll understand why they banned him. Evander has been through a few divorces also, so he's not as rich as people think. I'm not saying he's broke, but he doesn't have anything close to the money he had in his prime...

BTW, Did anyone happen to see the heavyweight PPV on sat night?? That had to be one of the worst displays of boxing I've ever seen... The heavyweight division is fucked... Glad I caught it on freeperview..

Usually when one state bans you the others support that state by unofficially banning you as well. If you saw his last fight, you'll understand why they banned him. Evander has been through a few divorces also, so he's not as rich as people think. I'm not saying he's broke, but he doesn't have anything close to the money he had in his prime...

BTW, Did anyone happen to see the heavyweight PPV on sat night?? That had to be one of the worst displays of boxing I've ever seen... The heavyweight division is fucked... Glad I caught it on freeperview..

Thank God for illegal boxes ;)

Ruiz-Golotta was the worst "fight" I've ever seen...but I gotta admit the trainer was funny as shit the entire time - the only I could've sit through it!

I think New York is doing the right thing, but the problem is that this will only bolster Holyfield's desire to fight again. He is a stubborn old bastard who does not want to be told when to pack it in. Nevermind the fact that he probably can't beat anyone in the top 20 anymore.

Spragga, Ruiz's trainer has to be the biggest asshole I've ever seen, lol. But I gotta admit I almost fell out of my chair laughing when the ref had Ruiz go back to his corner and Stone started going off "Well what a peice of sh.it you turned out to be! You f.ucken c.ocksucker you!!" Then when he gets kicked out, he walks right passed Don King and screams "You fixed this fight you bastard!". haha. Then they show the clown watching the fight in the locker room and screaming at the TV.