Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Bcs...

vicman

is it me, or aside from the USC-OU game the rest of the BCS games look like shit?

auburn-va.tech-looks ok.

pitt-utah-ugh.

texas-michigan-ok, so you are #4, you win your game and you get voted down? cal should be there. and wtf? cal's only loss was against USC. Michigan lost for friggin' unranked Ohio St. and Notre Dame.

If Cal had gotten the slot UTex would have a case that they got screwed. Having said that, OU dominated UTex but Cal had a shot to beat USC w/ seconds left in the fourth. Based on this, I think Cal deserved the spot. Besides, how does your ranking rise when everyone in front of you wins and you dont even suit up?

I hope Pitt waxes the Utes so the UF hire of Meyer looks even worse than it already looks.

Auburn got screwed by pre-season rankings but the BCS system fails every year so what is the surprise?

no mattere how much ppl cry for a playoff, it wont happen. When the networks were negotiating/bidding for the BCS tv package, they rejected the additional game format (where there is a four team playoff with an additional game for an actual Championship game) because it would diminish the value (sponsors and commercial advertising) of the other games. too much money involved.

plus, what would we argue about if we didnt have a BCS like format hahaa jk. although i agree that Auburn definitely got jipped (afterall, gotta stay true to the SEC) , the only reason i would not like to see a playoff is it would diminish the regular season. and "every game counts" i think thats what creates that special aura about college football and "life or death" on a weekly basis. idk,, just my opinion

no mattere how much ppl cry for a playoff, it wont happen. When the networks were negotiating/bidding for the BCS tv package, they rejected the additional game format (where there is a four team playoff with an additional game for an actual Championship game) because it would diminish the value (sponsors and commercial advertising) of the other games. too much money involved.

plus, what would we argue about if we didnt have a BCS like format hahaa jk. although i agree that Auburn definitely got jipped (afterall, gotta stay true to the SEC) , the only reason i would not like to see a playoff is it would diminish the regular season. and "every game counts" i think thats what creates that special aura about college football and "life or death" on a weekly basis. idk,, just my opinion

It's life or death to a certain extent - if your reward for going undefeated or having one loss and taking an undefeated team to the brink (Cal) is going to a shit bowl, it's simply not fair.

Of course it's about money - but they can make as much if not more than hoops tournament. Could you imagine a 8-team playoff with these teams:

1 USC

2 Oklahoma

3 Auburn

4 Texas

5 California

6 Utah

7 Georgia

8 Virginia Tech

You could figure a way to get Louisville and Boise State in the mix by having them play each other with the winner and giving byes to the top 1 or 2 teams. People would watch that tournament for sure.

There are only 2 game that I'll watch out of all the 25+ matchups...the title** game and Louisville-Boise State.

for 2 things have to happen.

1. every conference should be in line and institute a championship game. it's not fair for a team like AUburn this year playing an extra game, which they can lose, while a team like USC doesnt have to go through that risk. happened to OU last year.

2. a playoff. maybe not the top 8, but at least the top 4. there will controversy as to who is #4 and who is #5, but at least you give more teams, that are deserving of it, a shot of winning.

It's life or death to a certain extent - if your reward for going undefeated or having one loss and taking an undefeated team to the brink (Cal) is going to a shit bowl, it's simply not fair.

Of course it's about money - but they can make as much if not more than hoops tournament. Could you imagine a 8-team playoff with these teams:

1 USC

2 Oklahoma

3 Auburn

4 Texas

5 California

6 Utah

7 Georgia

8 Virginia Tech

You could figure a way to get Louisville and Boise State in the mix by having them play each other with the winner and giving byes to the top 1 or 2 teams. People would watch that tournament for sure.

There are only 2 game that I'll watch out of all the 25+ matchups...the title** game and Louisville-Boise State.

no i totally understand and agree what you are saying.. the only thing i would like to point out that is that you are correct that The NCAA basketball tourney is the biggest money maker but its for the the NCAA organization itself.. not the individual schools. schools have much more $$ to lose going into a playoff format than guarenteed money from the current system. but no. i totally see your pov

The one thing that pisses me off is that as good as OU was supposed to be last year, they still got blown out by LSU (an SEC team). This year Auburn goes undefeated in the SEC with really only one close game (I think against LSU early in the year), they get shut out of a chance at the title. It's bullshit. The SEC is the strongest conference by far. I hope OU beats USC and Auburn kills Va Tech. Then there will be a good case for co-national champs AGAIN. The BCS simply does not work. Time to start over from scratch.

funny thing is that margin of victory got eliminated from the BCS equation a couple of years ago, and this year both Cal and Auburn clearly got shafted by not running up the score on Tennessee and So. Mississippi. Big 12 put 7 teams in bowels; SEC put 6; Pac 10 put 5; 5 Big 12 teams were in the BCS top 25; 5 SEC teams in the top 25; 3 Pac 10 teams in the top 25.

The SEC is the strongest conference by far.

no its not.. it may have the most ranked teams, but the overall conference win-loss ratio is very close to the ACC, Big Ten, and Big Twelve. It definitely is the strongest, but only by a bit. Auburn did get screwed though... but I'm going for Vtech :)