Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Armin at Spirit Review 10/12/04

I'm not going to get much into it, I'll let everyone else speak their minds because I just got back and I feel like shit.

I dont think Armin was on his game tonight. I saw him at Crobar, Roxy, and Mansion in miami for last yrs WMC, and this was his worst set. The set had his moments, he had people jumping and DJ worshipping, but honestly, I expected so much more from tonight. I dont think Armin was able to gauge the crowd well. He normallly plays a lot more vocal shit that he did tonight. It was like he tried, but then he did throw on some hard beats, I'll give that to him. But it wasnt that overtime uplifting set. Where he usually builds up slow and then moves along harder, deeper, more trancy. This set didint have none of that.

Plus, I know this is nothing new about clubs in the city, but there were tooooo many undercovers in there on people's asses as soon as they seen them mess with glowsticks. It was even worse at like 5:30am. That shit doesnt bother most people, but it kinda ruins the night for me because I just feel like I'm being watched the whole fkn time, and it was fkn annoying. Being followed like if I was selling or purchasing. LEAVE ME THE FUCK ALONE, I WASNT BUYING NOR SELLING, AND LET ME FKN PARTY PLEASEEEEE!

Energy was cool, but I saw better energy in the crowd at Crobar and Roxy.

It probably wont be most people's opinions, but it's mine. Still was a fun night though. Met some cool people by the smoking section.

What do the rest of you guys think?

right on. he was weak and man does that club suck!!! gimme crobar anytime. where were the vocals? just because this is nyc do we need the harder beats. i paid to hear vocal trance. thats what he does, thats what i expect. man did that suck. the crowd was a pain in the ass!!! do i look like a drug dealer, leave me ALONE. get a life. asking every 5 mins, you holding. grow the F. up. well i feel better now. long time before i go back to that dump. and armin please stick to what you know or tell us ahead of time so we know. peace to all :hat:

and wait and see what u call that dump and how big it will get again with Made Events there

I don't see much changing. The undercovers and the crackies will still be polluting that place, and you will still have JP on Saturdays. :vomit2:

It's embarassing that Twilo used to be in the same space. :rolleyes:

I know all about twilo I used to be there every friday and sat for 3 years. You gotta give the place some time with made events in there it will grow and be bigger. One night and everyone is ready to say f the place. What do you think happens when you bring big trance dj's in? Fills with crackies and undercovers nothing we dont already know. But with Made there things will change you'll see. PVD, Armin and Tiesto all bring that kinda crowed and we are just going to have to deal with it. Its like you people dont know already come on these guys have been here a million times and it never changes but yet still everyone bitches. Like I said it what our scene has turned into just deal with it. If you cant have a good time on ur own then dont go at all then and will be more room for us that do go.

another thing, the club isjust to small. made is making a big mistake if they bookthere on a regular basis. and i have to drink my beer in a paper cup , what am i. 10 yrs old. for me trance is a experience thats very positive and that crowd is nothing but negative and i dont have to put up with it. you think the club owners would remember jonathans corrupt past at factory. we need to get that element out starting with him. he brings it in. :hat:

ewwwwwwwwww brandon cant believe you went, and GLOWSTICKS? Still around geez.

yea yea yea

AND i completely missed hernan like an asshole, but i had 2 sexy polish blondes with me and they wanted armin so my penis made that shitty decision.

I had a good time though ;)

yea yea yea

AND i completely missed hernan like an asshole, but i had 2 sexy polish blondes with me and they wanted armin so my penis made that shitty decision.

I had a good time though ;)

Sometimes...ya just gotta let the penis make the decisions. after all, hernan wasn't going to do the little guy any favors.

Again, I'd like to reiterate, ARMIN sucked last night. I'm a huge Armin fan, but I think he just didnt know what he wanted to spin last night. I think he was confused on whether to go more hard beats or trancy. He probably got the feeling that the crowd was more into the harder beats because Armin really just plays to what the crowd is feeling. But I think the crowd was sending him mix reactions to shit. He shouldve just stayed with his usual vocal, progressive trancy style. That's what made him famous, and that's why we all love his music. Thats why we all went there last night. Oh yea, new sound system? Is just me, or when he turned up the bass really high, the sound got really muffled and it just didnt sound clear. A couple time when he turned it up, it just sounded like shit.

another thing, the club isjust to small. made is making a big mistake if they bookthere on a regular basis. and i have to drink my beer in a paper cup , what am i. 10 yrs old. for me trance is a experience thats very positive and that crowd is nothing but negative and i dont have to put up with it. you think the club owners would remember jonathans corrupt past at factory. we need to get that element out starting with him. he brings it in. :hat:

news flash!!!!! the crowd last night was the same crowd that is at every other armin event in nyc... it just so happens that with trance music comes shadiness... last night had nothing to do with jp buddy..

meh... thats all i really have to say about last night... the music was terrible except for a few songs here and there.. above & beyond "no one on earth" (g&d remix).. shit is hot!!! and what was the deal with the hip hop room??? why did they close it??? and was remy spinning tribal at all??? i dont remember a good portion of the night..

pcr, thanks for the drink buddy!!! :beer::beer:

danielle it was nice hanging out... hey ya doin' ;)

wahhhhhh wahhhhhhhhh, i feel i just walked into a fucking daycare center. oh it was too crowded, WHAT DID YOU EXPECT? it's armin in the city, it would have been crowded anywhere, guess what, it was crowded at roxy and it was crowded at crobar, live with it.

and yes of course even though jp wasn't even spinning last night just because he has a party there on saturday night he just corrupted the hell out of the crowd and brought in all crackheads, yep that's it, thanks guys for staying on top of things. cause if you go to see a huge trance dj anywhere else in the city you wouldn't get the same weird ass drugged out crowd that trance brings out for some reason.

anyway, i actually thought the night was good, i liked remy too, he did a great job opening up. i was outside smoking at one time and saw armin walking in (im guessing with his gf or wife?). i thought he played a good set, not much progression but he spun hard beats, i was def feelin it. im not sure how i feel about the new system, i wanna hear some house on it first, but i wasn't that impressed with the improvement.

your wrong/armin at crobar was completely different. first his set was much more upbeat with vocals. there was room to move. and most important you feel so much safer in there. i know from reading your posts that you are very experienced in the club scene. you have to admit there is no comparison betweeen the clubs. perfect example after i left spirit went to crobar danced away/wasnt crushed/nobody asking me for drugs/friendly staff/security everywhere and telling those aholes to put out there cigs so the rest of us dont get burned/spirit is on its way out. if what everyone says about there being that many undercovers in there then something is up and it cant happen soon enough. :hat:

Jesus christ, even on a thread about AVB there is JP drama...here's a review from a "JP crackhead"'s point of view: I am not a trance fan but I decided to check out AVB, and I had a great time. I actually liked the music, but it makes sense that a lot of you guys hated it, because I didn't think it was very trancey at all. I feel for you there b/c it sucks paying madd $$$ to hear one thing and then hearing something totally different. As for the other complaints, have you ever been to a club before? There are always tons of undercovers, and if there is a good DJ there it is going to be packed. It wasn't even that crowded! On JP's theme nights you can't walk in that place. And of course it was awesome seeing Dan rip it sick on his birthday and meeting ovrdose.

man after reading all these reviews, i'm relieved that i didnt go to spirit last night...very surprised to hear all the negativity, but spirit + top 10 trance dj = bad news...armin is still a class act, but i dont think i'll be catching him until Armada in ibiza next summer....

i guess we did not miss anything ... sorry for those that did not enjoy this .. but i heard Remy before .. and i thought he was ok .. we logged into DI website and heard avb him live and i thouhgt he was ok but sooo repetitive .. since i never heard him before i cant tell if he was in his game or not ..

peace

the MASK