Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Atten: Ovrdose

I cut and paste this from a different thread:

"i've been hitting up a lot of smaller venues these past couple of weeks, nice upscale crowds, no hip hop being played, i think that's gonna be my trend for this year, cause i've been having some really good nights lately."

OK, I would really like to know where these places are, although I like hip hop, I dont want to hear it out and the 'big club' thing is just too played out.

From what I hear, CIELO, is great, but I am not sure about the crowd, I dont want to go to some hole-in-the-wall restaurant with a back room that plays boring deep house and the guys wear jeans with studded belts and ripped t-shirts (yeah, I've seen this)

Can you make any recommedations??? your help is greatly appreciated

well what prompted that response was actually my trip to cellar bar. i was really impressed with that place. it's probably the smallest venue that i've been to but very chill, good sound system, classy mature crowd. i went to scumfrog that night with some friends and everyone had a good time. another place that was cool was cain (or kain, not sure how it's spelled), it's on 27th by spirit almost, a friend of a friend was having a party there. same thing, nice crowd, nice system, smaller type place.

also checked out sullivan room and manahatta (sp?) recently, both are pretty good. the only place that played hip hop was manahatta, it's two floors, the basement had that. the crowd was wack down there though, so we stayed upstairs most of the time.

anyway good luck finding some cool spots to chill, not sure if i helped that much since im not really hip hop, so i wouldn't really know about those places. gonna be checking out canal room this weekend, so i might have another one to add to the list.

i went to scumfrog that night with some friends and everyone had a good time.

ahem!!!! everyone???

cystam i know what you're saying about cielo... i feel the same way about that place and sullivan room... it's probably good music... but i dunno.. i wanna check out sullivan room when hec romero spins though...

ahem!!!! everyone???

cystam i know what you're saying about cielo... i feel the same way about that place and sullivan room... it's probably good music... but i dunno.. i wanna check out sullivan room when hec romero spins though...

I was reading a similar thread and someone mentioned KARMA, and I was there years ago and it's just not my thing. I dont understand why an 'upscale' place plays ghetto hip hop music while House is played in a crackden...such an oxymoron...

Cynstam - "hi, I like good music"

response - "oh you must be a crackhead"

Ovrdose - thanks for all your help, looks like Cellar Bar it is this Fri. And if that doesnt work, then I'll def. check out Cielo and Sullivan Room . I would have like to hear Chus& Ceballos at Canal, but Thurs. is a no-no...I guess I'll catch them @ DEKO on Sat

got to cielo this fri or sat 2 good parties. And for the past yr ive been saying its all about the smaller places. Finally glad some of ya are gettig out of the BIG ROOM crap.

Why do you have to slam big rooms, just because you don't like it. You say in other threads how its all about the music, vibe, and having a good time. Make up your mind...such a hipocrite. Small room, big room, whatever floats your boat, who are you to say anything is crap??

Well being in a big room filled with EVERYONE being there for the music is the most beautiful thing ever. But sadly there not one club that has somethinglike that every week. Sometimes with certain djs on certain nights it happens. And i mean the WHOLE ROOM being there for the dj and music, not jst most of the crowd. While at the smaller places you have a better chance of getting that feeling just cause it is smaller. Or it might not matter as much because you feel close to the dj in an intimate setting as well.

Dont get me wrong i'll still go to the big rooms for certain djs which is why you will catch me at CROBAR on the 29th for ROGER SANCHEZ. Because yes i dont like big rooms but i love roger so i will be there.And for the record the bestset i heard roger play was never at crobar there were at CIELO twice in 2004. While the best party i ever been to at CROBAR was on 6-23-04 for the underground network party featuring TIMMY REGISFORD, TERRY HUNTER, HEX HECTOR and GRACE JONES performing. Everyone there was singing to each song and dancing with each other and it was all about the music and vibe,not drinks or napkns in the air or what are you wearing, causepeople were their intheir sweatpants.

Also at SPIRIT on 8-17-04 had the best party ive ever been to in that VENUE for larry levans bday party. LOVE is the only way to describe the feeling in that building, for each other for music for life for dance and for being alive to celebrate.

Also one party that consistenly has been all about the music and vibe and love is the 718 sessions.Ita not a big big room but its not also a small venue as well. But on those parties you know everyone is their to dance and hear music. Not to be there only cause its the place to be. You wont know what i mean until you try it once. If you want to keep arguing(or talk) with me please do so over pm and lets not waste space on this board that is suppose to be bout music and parties.